• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2004 R1150RT Gravel Crash

Thank you for reading my request!

Was riding N.C. area and descending from the Blue Ridge Parkway on rt 215 (a wonderful road) on my 2004 R1150RT (ABS 2 spark plugs). Downshifting before a left turn and my back wheel caught some gravel and went down. Bike side slid quite a distance. Engine still runs. Here is (what I think) is the extent of the damage:

Fairing etc. parts
- Headlight fairing damaged (ground away) around the left mirror mount
- Left side fairing ground down where it meets the mirror mount
- Glove box lid cracked (but still usable)
- Left mirror housing and glass cracked
- Mirror snap on pegs ground down
- Left mirror mounting bracket bent
- Center instrument console ground some on lift side at contact of left mirror/headlight fairing (useable)
- Handlebar stem mirror ground some (glass still intact!)
- Left luggage case ground (considerable)

Engine & other parts
- Left handlebar broken off where attached to handlebar extension (all controls seem to work!)
- Left valve cover ground down (also foot peg bracket bolt bent and allows oil to lead from that bolt hole)

AT a minimum to get it riding I need:
- Left handlebar
- Headlight fairing
- Left mirror housing
- Left mirror mounting bracket
- Mirror snap-on pegs
- Left valve cover

Questions.... I am having trouble getting the headlight fairing off of the bike.
- Do I need to remove the side panels to get the headlight fairing off?
- Do I need to unbolt some part of the mirror mounting brackets (both sides) to get the headlight fairing off?
- What what I have listed, could there be other hidden damage that I might be unaware of?

Thanks so much for any advice you can provide!
Allen

One thing go look for and at is all the attachment points and connections. They are usually tweeked or damaged and sometimes it's not easily visible. A bike with a full fairing has a lot of them. You will find out pretty quick when you start reassembling and parts don't line up and and attach properly. Good luck with your project.

Questions.... I am having trouble getting the headlight fairing off of the bike.
- Do I need to remove the side panels to get the headlight fairing off?
- Do I need to unbolt some part of the mirror mounting brackets (both sides) to get the headlight fairing off?
- What what I have listed, could there be other hidden damage that I might be unaware of?

Bummer. 215 is such a nice road and a 2004 RT is such a nice bike. :(

1) Yes. The screws are underneath the front of the side panels and in the mirror openings. Total of four T30 (I think) screws.
2) No. Just take the side panels off. Well, also the windshield, windshield trim and dash. Remove the headlight adjuster from the dash. Then as you withdraw the front fairing you need to unplug the headlight and parking light. If you have a radio you will need to disconnect the ground strap and the antenna.
3) Cannot tell from here....

I'd be curious to know where on 215 this occurred as I live in the area and just started cycling again. This is one of the roads I ride to get up on the parkway. I've driven on 215 enough times in the car but the motorcycle will be a new experience.

Back