• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 R1150 Rtp A mess in the clutch area, New project

filmhog

Greetings to the group, Im been lurking for a couple of years but finally joined and am working on a new project. 2003 1150 RTP. showing 47K miles. I bought it from a guy that thought it has a spline issue. I paid virtually nothing for the bike (couple hundred dollars). The clutch can be let out 99% with no grabbing and finally a little friction. A shoe will stop the wheel whilel on the mechanics lift on the center stand. No grinding or usual noise that I have experienced several years ago with an 1100 that spun the splines. I am going to fix this myself and learn while I go. I do all other mechanical work on my trucks and japanese bikes and a triumph or two but never a BMW. So the insides are just new to me. I took off the starter to examine the clutch plate thickness and found the bottom of the chamber lined with a bunch of what looks like steel wool although not metallic. I surmise this is all clutch disc fiber and it even is outside the engine just infront of the cataytic convertor. I don't know how it would get there, there must be a weep hole? It does not look oily, just dark and black like graphiteish so I don't think there was a seal leak. My concern is the slave cylinder possibly not throwing out the clutch far enough that may have rushed the destruction of the plate. Or this was a training bike and some group thrashed the clutch.
I have the lift and tools and centering tools for the clutch job. Been watching Chris Harris videos on the job. But I haven't seen reference to such a super worn clutch.
So that is the set up and wondering from the group, other than a straight forward disc replacement, should I count on replacing or cleaning the clutch slave? Any other tips on this job like evaluating the flywheel? Unless I see cracks, It used to be they were good to go on other vehicles. I tried to tie the clutch lever to the handle to move the clutch plate and thusly the teeth on the spline shaft to see if indeed they were good but I can as of yet get it to move. So little engagement but a lot of resistance. Thank you for your thoughts.
You pros probably think these are dumb questions, but I have found it valuable to council with experienced people to see what is coming when taking on a new project that I have not done before.

Just for the heck of it, stick a pencil magnet in as far as you can and see what sticks to it.

If you find no metallic powder that would narrow things down. I lost a spline on an airhead years ago and the timing hole was full of heavy red dust. (oxidized metal)

You will need to take it apart. If the splines are shot it will take a clutch disk and transmission input shaft. If the splines are good and the disk is thin it will need a clutch. I would then replace the disk, pressure plate, clutch cover and spring. It may be that the clutch is oiled or contaminated with hydraulic fluid. If so you will need to replace the leaking component (engine seal, tranny seal, clutch slave cylinder, etc.) In this case you might find sound pressure plate and clutch cover surfaces and only replace the disk.

Back