• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 K1200GT, Oil in Coolant reservoir

bruceweg

2003 K1200 GT with 109,000 miles.

Noticed some drops under the bike, from the center stand, transmission area and rearward (nothing from the engine area or in the belly pan).
Drops were oil and coolant.
I could see some oil and coolant on the rear shock spring, thought maybe rear seal (replaced with the clutch at 88,000) but no clutch slippage and that area of the motor and intermediate housing are dry and clean.
Took off the seat and saw wet on the seat belly pan above the coolant reservoir.
Pulled the rubber cover and reservoir was to the top with engine oil!
Used a small turkey baster and removed maybe 5 ml of oil (maybe half the height of the neck) and then nothing but coolant (coolant was changed last year).
Oil level (Amsoil 20W50 synthetic) in sight glass was fine, not higher or lower and no evidence of coolant contamination that I can see, exhaust looks and smells normal (at least I think!).
So I sucked out enough coolant to get the reservoir to the MAX line.
Drove the bike about 20 miles and checked everything again with no issues.
Preceded to ride the bike (some 150 - 200 mile rides) and check above items before and after each ride.
Prolly put 800 - 1000 miles on the bike, went out to my garage this morning to ride it to work and there where drops under the bike, pulled the seat and back to what I stated with above!
Thought maybe the water/oil pump but the weep hole is clean.
The temp of the bike seems the same as always, fan kicks on when it is supposed to and temp doesn't rise or fall any faster or slower that it always has.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated?

Luckily I have my '85 K100 (220,000 miles) and 2003 KLR 650 to keep me riding!!

might be

oil / water pump gaskets - oil pump & water pump are housed 1 on top of other on ft of eng - lets hope its not a head gasket - if it dont over heat- i'd suspect pump gaskets.

Back