• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1994 K75 ABS Light

guaire

I started the bike. The ABS light didn't go off when I started it stayed on while a did a test ride. The brakes felt fine, nothing different from the usual that I could tell.

I had off: fuel tank, seat, panels, front switch pad. I replaced the clutch cable and the air filter. I had the clutch lever off. I re plugged in the fuel tank 4 square plug. Adjusted the handle bar position.
Before starting up, I put a powerlet 2 to 1 splitter in the outlet on the ignition/front panel. I plugged a usb adapter into one of the plugs. Put the Garmin powerlet plug into the second plug, without the Zumo in the mount. I plugged the phone into the usb to charge. I plugged in my Nocco charger in the plug in the rear box. It went up to 100%. Then, it went back to doing its round of tests, checking at 25%, 50, 75 and 100%. I've never seen it do that. Usually, after it gets to 100%, it just stays on.
I started the K75, let it warm up. Nothing different. After take off, the ABS light kept blinking. The brakes felt fine. After returning to the garage, I removed the front switch pad to see if I disturbed the wiring on the ABS switch. It looked ok. Brown and Black wires.
Any suggestions?
Bill

Bill,

You have two lights associated with the ABS. One is the red light on the bottom of the speedometer next to the low fuel light and one is in the center row of the dash above the neutral light.

Are they both flashing?

Together or alternately?

:dance:dance:dance

Charged the battery. Started, warmed up. Rode. ABS and caution light were both on - steady. I'll be looking for the 25 pin connector. I have no idea.

The reset is done with the blue flat 3 pin connector on the right frame rail, just below the seat. It is just a flat three hole female connector with a weather plug (no wires connected) plugged into it. You will be using the center terminal. You can also read any faults there. Directions in the link I gave you. Look on home page #2 and #3, reading codes and resetting ABS. If more clarification is needed, just ask.

The 25 pin connector is the main ABS computer plug. It is in the tail section. I wouldn't mess with it until I'd tried the reset correctly several times and read the codes if they don't clear. If you unplug the 25 pin plug, it will create a new fault that will need to be cleared.

Last edited:
The reset is done with the blue flat 3 pin connector on the right frame rail, just below the seat. It is just a flat three hole female connector with a weather plug (no wires connected) plugged into it. You will be using the center terminal. You can also read any faults there. Directions in the link I gave you. Look on home page #2 and #3, reading codes and resetting ABS. If more clarification is needed, just ask.

The 25 pin connector is the main ABS computer plug. It is in the tail section. I wouldn't mess with it until I'd tried the reset correctly several times and read the codes if they don't clear. If you unplug the 25 pin plug, it will create a new fault that will need to be cleared.

DID IT!!!!
Found the blue connector. Cleared the ABS. Thank you, Lee!

I found this article that had a good section:
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php?topic=538.0

How do I "fix" a faulted ABS system?

Resetting the ABS: The first thing to try is resetting the ABS to clear the fault. Open your seat and look for a blue plastic cap on a three wire connector which is a diagnostic plug for hooking up to a computer at the BMW dealer. If you don't see the blue plastic cap then it may be lost. In that case look for a black plastic connector under the seat that has three wires and is not connected to anything.

Diagnostic plug cap:

Once you've located the diagnostic plug cap, remove the cap and stick the stripped end of a piece of wire into the center terminal of the diagnostic plug. Ground the other end somewhere on the bike. For 93 and earlier K bikes a good place to ground the other end of the wire is where the battery ground is bolted to the left side of the transmission near the shift lever.

Once your wire is grounded, hold down the ABS switch and turn the key all of the way clockwise to turn the bike on while keeping the ABS switch depressed. (You don't need to start the bike, just turn it on.) Count to thirty slowly. Then turn off the bike. Hopefully the ABS fault is now cleared.

Remove the grounded wire from the diagnostic plug, replace the diagnostic plug's protective cap and then go for a short ride. If the ABS brain has been reset successfully then the ABS warning lights should go out after the bike has moved several feet.

Note that sometimes it can take several reset attempts for the reset to take so try it a few times if the first reset doesn't resolve your problem. (Hence the Voodoo nature of it.)

Back