• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1993 R100 GSPD wiring nightmare

g rad

g rad
Never started this R100 GS, the previous ownhttps://forums.bmwmoa.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=89836&d=1667803930&thumb=1&stc=1er has this wired into the bike,, I've been unable to get OEM spot light relay to work,,IMG_0430.jpg Don't know what it does

Start

I vaguely remember these units, they turned turn signals into running lights? And perhaps added stop lights?

Regardless, the first thing I would do if it were my bike if you want to keep it is to check the connections used to cobble it into the BMW wiring harness. T tap connectors and the ilk are pretty poor ways to tie into existing harnesses. They can in time corrode and take the harness out. (LOL, I think I am making my point I don't like these things.)

These add on enhancements are great so long as they work but can cause a great deal of aggravation when they don't and nine times out of ten, they don't work because of the wiring connections.

To be honest, and in my opinion, I would take the whole thing out, see if EME has a replacement rear light harness to replace the one the priority lights was wired into. Start back again with stock lights, and perhaps research the newer systems on the market such as wiesner or Admore.

If you choose to do any wiring additions or add lights into the system, either use good crimp on connections or better yet solder the connections don't use the cheap t taps. Good luck, St.

I wimped out, with the complexity of the installed wires,, and just put it all back together,, and so far I'm happy to have the three lights on the rear.. Now my concern is the right turn signal is steady OK on, off... but the left turn signal is very rapid, eventually turning off completely ,, then starting the left again... I bought a used (sic) turn signal relay controller,, and it preforms the same... I ran a test ground to the lefts and no improvement.. Leaving my next option of new controler .. thanks for all informative reply's...

I wimped out, with the complexity of the installed wires,, and just put it all back together,, and so far I'm happy to have the three lights on the rear.. Now my concern is the right turn signal is steady OK on, off... but the left turn signal is very rapid, eventually turning off completely ,, then starting the left again... I bought a used (sic) turn signal relay controller,, and it preforms the same... I ran a test ground to the lefts and no improvement.. Leaving my next option of new controler .. thanks for all informative reply's...
Actually, your next step should be trying to trace the possible additional load that’s attached to that turn signal circuit. You were given some excellent advice in post #3 and that is probably still your best bet in getting correct and reliable operation on turn signals and lights. Tracing and eliminating the aftermarket add-on and its wiring may seem daunting but is likely to be easiest and least costly approach. If you still want additional lighting effects it may be worthwhile to look at some of the current offerings in the market, as the quality of electrical add-ons seems to have improved greatly over the years.

Best,
DeVern

You can buy a very good wiring schematic from EME for your bike. Use it to trace circuits. The stock turn signal, taillight, brake light circuits are not difficult to work with and troubleshoot.
The problem with cobbling in after market "stuff" is that when something goes wrong and there is no wiring schematic for the "stuff" problems arise. Add to this perhaps scotch locks or other "connectors of shady quality" and things get crazier.
Get rid of the priority thing and make your life easier. Or do a web search for directions to install it into the stock system. St.

Probably a bad ground or power feed to that bulb. Check the stock wires and connections to the unit first, then look at the accessory unit.

I appreciate the desire for more lights and visibility (I added a similar system to my S1000XR after following someone on an XR of the same year and seeing how small the brake lights were). Still, I'd remove what you have and start over. My concern is that the unit is old and prone to failure.

Back