• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1985 K100RS heat

beemer01

OK, the project bike is done and she is beautiful. Did 100 miles over the weekend, and observed that the heat escaping thru the fairing on the right side of the bike against my leg was pretty hot.

And it wasn't hot this weekend in Chicago.

I understand that the perfect adjustment of the fairing is key and I am replacing the trim gasket that is against the tank, but the worst of the heat is escaping against my ankle - and naturally I'm wearing boots and jeans.

Is there a fix out there? I'm wondering of I were to pad the bottom the the fairing below/behind the fairing vent with fiberglass insulation if that would work?

Anyone else been down this path?

Is there a fix out there? I'm wondering of I were to pad the bottom the the fairing below/behind the fairing vent with fiberglass insulation if that would work?

Someone just listed a pair of K heat guards on the IBMWR marketplace. If you hurry you might get them.

Just listed?

Not the ones that Frank was selling? Those are gone. Long story, they should have been mine:violin

OK, the project bike is done and she is beautiful. Did 100 miles over the weekend, and observed that the heat escaping thru the fairing on the right side of the bike against my leg was pretty hot.

And it wasn't hot this weekend in Chicago.

I understand that the perfect adjustment of the fairing is key and I am replacing the trim gasket that is against the tank, but the worst of the heat is escaping against my ankle - and naturally I'm wearing boots and jeans.

Everyone's been down that path!
Go To IBMWR.org, look on the K tech page for "modifications", there are a couple of articles there on heat management. Don E. should be along soon..........

observed that the heat escaping thru the fairing on the right side of the bike against my leg was pretty hot.

Yes. The K12RS or K12S

Everyone's been down that path!
Go To IBMWR.org, look on the K tech page for "modifications", there are a couple of articles there on heat management. Don E. should be along soon..........

:wave

My final answer was a K75S..

You can make it better - but the '85 K100 is gonna be a HOT bike no matter what you do. Great winter/spring/fall bike. Awful in mid August with temps up around 100F - almost unrideable (I almost deserted mine once it was SO damn hot..)

Dunno what you're wearing on your legs - I found the best combination (which is gonna sound really odd) was my Aerostitch with long pants beneath it. I once tried the stitch with shorts on and ended up with blisters on my calf. You need the insulating value of two layers of air between the exhaust and your leg - so long pants with something over them is a necessity.

As Bob mentioned - I did a bit of a writeup on what I tried and what helped that can be found on the IBMWR K-tech pages... but after about 6-7 years I just couldn't take it any longer and bought a different bike.

I fixed this problem on my RS. What you do is ride down the Scotland/Newberry Road, through the twisties past Mt. Nebo Church. Look at the ditch. Curse. Ride into the ditch. This tears the snot out of your Pichler fairing. :banghead Then you get the insurance company to say that they cannot replace the Pichler, so they'll wave the deductabe and let the mechanic 'convert' the K100RS into a K100 Standard. :violin

No more heat problems! :brad

Partial fix

Since the heat was blowing past the vent and escaping around the fairing, the first thing I did was to adjust the fairing and black side panel. I've ordered new gasket tirm to better seal against the tank. Secondly I used common household fiberglass insulation with the reflective backing and placed it in the bottom of the fairing with the reflective backing forward vectoring the heat out the vent. Rode 60 miles today and it was clearly better.

Back