• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1978 Motorsport Edition

b4udoo

On a 1978 R100S Motorsport, should the fork legs be Black? I have a cracked headlight lens, Replacing it can be accomplished without fairing disassembly? Should the emblems on the side covers be R100S or 1000cc? I've seen both. I'm inclined to believe 1000cc as on my 78 RS. Red and gold colors? Could someone take a pic of sticker types and locations on top of the rear fender please. I have excellent cosmetics, but some of the decals and stickers need to be placed in their appropriate locations. It's as if someone started a resto some years ago but didn't finish the details. Not looking for concours, but proper finish to make a sharp driver. Thanks, to all replies!
B4UDOO

Last edited:
The question was about the R100S. The images suggest they were not black, but one can't always trust what BMW publishes! :deal

In the Andy Schwietzer book on the twin shock models, the R100S is also shown without black sliders while the R100RS Motorsport did have the black sliders.

Thanks for the input gentlemen, I've seen pics both ways black and unpainted, the 78 RS forks are black I have one.

Motorsport Forks

And I have a '78 Motorsport S, the forks are not black....just to add a data point.

Attachments

• IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 54
My '79 R 100S forks are black

I have one of the 16 R 100S bikes built and my forks are black. This is an original motorcycle purchased from the original owner, I have all the service records and 2 binders of the original owners notes on his work and parts used. They're were only 16 BMW R 100S's made and imported for model year 1979.

Gaiters

I have an RS and an RT, the %(&%^ rubber things they put into the fairing kept falling out. Plus, since I installed gaiters on both bikes, I have extended the life span of my fork seals thousands of miles. Just for that, it was well worth the effort to get rid of the falling rubber things and instal gaiters. St.

Back