• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1953 600cc?

markgoodrich

Hi, folks, my daughter's fiance's dad has what he described as a 1953 (maybe '54) 600cc BMW, "restored" in Turkey, brought back to the U. S. I've not seen it, have no photos (yet). He's interested in selling the thing. Would there be much interest in such a bike? He brought it back to ride, but it's essentially in storage in his garage in Colorado.

I have no idea what the model is, even. He just told me about it at lunch today, and promised photos, but that won't be for weeks and weeks.

Thx, cheers,

M

Thanks, Kurt, I bet it's the R67, as he was insistent it's a 600. I just learned I won't get photos or more info until January, as he and his wife are going to Hawaii to house sit...not fair. If and when he decides he wants to sell it, I'll either get him to post here, or I will for him.

Cheers, and thanks again,

M

probably an r67/3

This was the bigger version of the R51/3. It has plunger rear suspension, bigger hubs and brakes like the /2's, but a straight fork front end. 54's were unusual in that they had the plunger rear, larger hubs and brakes plus the straight forks. The next year was the Earles front fork. 53's had smaller brake drums and hubs. They also had a flip up rear fender, elephant ear front fender with a strut and other interesting features. 1954's were unique if that is what it is.
I have a '54 R51/3 that I learned to ride on back in 1961. I see a lot of parts and early BMW bikes coming out of Turkey. Might have been a big distribution point for BMW in the 50's.

Tell him:

It is no value other than an heirloom. Then lock him in a closet.

Or invoke the new Federal Beemer Law: Germany made motorcycles may only be owned by one who already has one. Then confiscate the bike. Tell him it is now contaminated with the imfanous Turkey virus, and needs to be quatantined adjacent another BMW, preferably a close relative. Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink. Say no more, say no more.:deal

Scharppslicer
Casper Wyoming

This was the bigger version of the R51/3. It has plunger rear suspension, bigger hubs and brakes like the /2's, but a straight fork front end. 54's were unusual in that they had the plunger rear, larger hubs and brakes plus the straight forks. The next year was the Earles front fork. 53's had smaller brake drums and hubs. They also had a flip up rear fender, elephant ear front fender with a strut and other interesting features. 1954's were unique if that is what it is.
I have a '54 R51/3 that I learned to ride on back in 1961. I see a lot of parts and early BMW bikes coming out of Turkey. Might have been a big distribution point for BMW in the 50's.

Aw, shucks, he's got another one already, so the Law won't apply. His other bike? R50/6. Yes. That's what I said. R50. /6. Future son in law says it's "his" but it's still in Dad's name, in storage in NY. Brought back from Germany. Or Belgium. Somewhere not U. S. A.

Actually, I have no interest in old bikes, at least not in owning them. I'm just trying to ingratiate myself to the daughter's future in-laws.

Back