• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

04 R1150 RT ABS Brake Bleed Question

sundance71

Hello Folks,

I just rebuilt my brake system (new lines, pistons, seals, rotors, pads). There is still some old fluid in the master cylinders and ABS pump but the calipers are empty. I read the PDF by Dana Hager and Charles Gilman.

With the new pads and rotors, the pistons are pretty much all the way in the calipers. Is this close enough or do I still need to pull them off and use the wood blocks?

Thanks
Chris

There are two main reasons for retracting pistons on a bleed job. One, to assure that no, or minimal, old fluid is retained in the caliper, and two, to reduce the chance of air bubbles being trapped in the caliper and yielding spongy brakes and failed ABS tests. With new pistons and seals and empty lines you shouldn’t have major concerns with fluid but possibly a greater chance of trapping a small amount of air in the caliper. Removing and blocking the calipers is a bit of a pain, but not as much as tracking down and rectifying a failed ABS bleed test at the end of the procedure.

Best,
DeVern

Back