• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

tools

1. DavidR8

Must have Camhead maintenance tools

Hey all, even though my 2013 was bought with the 90,000 km service done, I'd like to make sure I have the necessary specialty tools to do routine maintenance. I have the full complement of hand tools including torque wrench. What BMW specific tools are necessary to do things like pull plugs or...
  2. brook.reams

Airhead Special Tools List

Folks, I assembled a document showing the special tools I have acquired to work on my rebuild/restore projects. So I thought I would let you know about it. Airhead Special Tools It is organized according to the parts numbering system main categories so it is easier to find the tools you may...
  3. Omega Man

Your favorite tools

We all have them. Some were passed down from father to son, some were hand made to solve a specific problem and some may have been received as a Christmas gift. It's unfortunate that some of the favorite tools have been "superseded" by more modern tools. One of my favorite tools is the Yankee...
  4. M

Recommended Slide Hammer / Bearing Puller kit for BMW bearings

Good day, I am working on the 24K maintenance items on my two cycles (F650GS and R850R) and among the items due are the wheel bearings. I would like to ask if riders have a recommendation on a good slide hammer / puller kit for DIY mechanics. After years of not having room to do my own...
  5. A

Roadside repairs for relatively new bikes?

I've been revising tool kits recently and was thinking to myself that I carry all these tools - almost certainly too many - and have just about never used them. I'm considering eliminating just about everything except flat fixing solutions (including a small hammer for dented rims - a personal...
  6. hamboyjohn

Handy tool tip for looking in tight spots - Harbor Freight Digital Inspection Camera

I'm sure I'm not the only person to use this on our bikes, but I figured I'd share. I was trying to figure out if my 2013 RT had the infamous leaky left side cam chain tensioner problem but couldn't get a good view. I loosened up the throttle body but it was still tough to see. Then I remembered...
  7. F

Quality torx bit set for a wet GSA?

I am looking for a 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch drive torx bit set that has all the necessary sizes for my '17 GSA. Preferably something between the $15 Harbor Freight set and the $350 Snap-On one in price and quality. What set are you using? Do you like it? Thanks!
  8. J

2015 GS tire change tool recommendations

I recently traded my '09 RT for a 2015 GS and found Anakee Wild's on sale even though the original Anakee 3's only have 3500 miles on them. I've changed pickup and bicycle tires, but this will be my first time to change motorcycle tires and will need to buy some new tools (a guy needs an excuse...
  9. 14wntr

RANT: Why I am done working on BMW's with CRAFTSMAN TOOLS!!

Tool rant! https://youtu.be/pIVghDO-CzA
  10. V

Wheel cleaning gizmo

So I've owned my latest R1200RT (2014) for a little over two years and have added about forty-thousand kilometers to her. What a great machine! There are very few times I don't arrive home and smile slightly as I remind myself what a fantastic job the "enginerds" in Bavaria have pulled off...
  11. B

rocker arm alignment jig

I recently read an article on Push rod seals. and I need to pull my heads anyways to check the P's/C's and likely re-ring but the article mentioned a jig tool to align the rockers on early bikes mine is a 1971 r75/5 is it one of the years that needs a jig for alignment and who do people...
  12. H

Replacing the K1300 S clutch pack

After 85000 miles on my K1300s I made the decision to change the clutch pack with a package made by Barrett. Now to do the job, which looks less complicated than replacing the clutch on my R1100RT. I need to acquire the two BMW tools (the alignment pin, and the driver lock). Does anyone have...
  13. C

Onboard tools

Hi I am new to the group. My apologies if this has appeared before, but I didn't see anything in my searches here so, I thought I would ask. What tools should I have handy onboard for my 2009 1200RT? The kit that came with bike is long gone so I want to put together one of my own, say from...
  14. 1

BMW Factory Rivet Tool

Hey Guys, This is my first post on the forum which deals with the factory rivet tool for the copper rivets found on the dashboards of RS and RT airhead beemers. I am in the process of assembling the fairing on my '84 R100RT and have extensively researched the assembly process that includes the...
Back