• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

final drive fluid

1. globalrider

Final Drive Oil Level

Gone are the days where one would fill the transmission and final drive till the oil dribbled out of the fill hole. So much for progress; just look at cars that no longer have a dipstick. Heaven forbid if a driver got their hands dirty or got dirt under their finger nails. :rolleyes My R1200...
  2. V

2013 R1200RT Gearbox/Bevel Gear Oil

It is my understanding that we should use 75W-140 in the gearbox, and 75W-90 in the rear bevel gears, is this correct. Some older threads seemed confusing. All that is easy to obtain is Royal Purple MaxGear synthetic oil. But it contains a friction modifier, and it states not to be used in wet...
  3. B

Final Drive Service

I am afraid to ask an oil question ;) - but here goes.... Can someone confirm the final drive oil which is now recommended for LC's - is it still Castrol SAF-XO? I can't seem to find it ... And, what is the correct volume to put in? My Clymer manual says 180cc and I just want to verify that...
  4. T

Final drive failure

2003 1150RT with 99,300k. Bought this bike new and we've been to some amazing places, but maybe it's time to part ways. Two years ago the dealer replaced the rear main seal on the engine, and a seal on the final drive, to the tune of almost two grand. Now I have massive metal fragments...
  5. Anyname

Final Drive Fluid, fill by measured volume or fill to level hole?

I've always filled the final drive on my 86 R80 monoshock until the level reached the overflow hole. This past weekend I tried using the 350cc volume the manual recommends. That turned out to be way more than needed to reach the overflow hole. So what do you all think? Is the measured volume...
  6. tibork

1994 R1100RS Gear oil

Ready to do my first transmission and drive gear oil change, what is the best recommended oil for these? Thank you!
  7. C

Final drive and driveshaft service.

1970 R75/5. Are the driveshaft and final drive both separate units? I see there are 2 fill bolts and 2 drain bolts. What would the capacity be on each? I've drained both, just don't want to fill incorrectly. Thanks
  8. krash

Flushed Amsoil synthetic gear box oil...Switched to Motul Gearbox 80W-90 with moly

Pic of fuzz on drain plug after 5k...Amsoil looked as clean and golden colored as when I put it in last year...It did have a metallic sheen to it and I could see minute particles suspended in the oil. When I cleaned off the drain plug off, the metallic particles turned to a very fine slurry. No...
Back