• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

u-joint

1. RANBUSH

'05 R1200ST - broken driveshaft u-joint

I went out to ride my '05 R1200ST last month and heard a lot of clattering when I let the clutch out. The bike has about 90K on it, and I thought it might be time for a new clutch. I started it taking it apart last week and saw that the front u-joint on the driveshaft had broken. I can't figure...
  2. B

Used or rebuilt Drive shaft? 07 R1200RT-P

My 07 R1200RT-P has a bad U-joint and does not appear to be rebuildable. Disabled vet just getting back to work so cash is very short. Are aftermarket, used or rebuilt driveshafts a realistic alternative? If so, any suggestions for vendors? BMW newbie, any suggestions would be greatly...
  3. D

U-Joint repair was worth it

2007 R1200RT, 87,385 miles. Needed a winter project and decided to do some swing arm/drive shaft preventative maintenance. Prior to disassembly, measured free play at the rear wheel in 1st gear. 2.5 inches (63.5mm). Drive shaft sent to Machine Service, Inc. in Green Bay, Wis. and returned one...
  4. B

Drive shaft / u-joint rebuild

Well, my new (to me) 2007 needs drive shaft or a rebuild. I dropped the FD to change the gear oild and discovered that the u-joint bearings are out on the drive shaft at the rear end where it goes into the final drive. Luckily it doesn't appear to have damaged anything yet, as it hasn't...
  5. rtwoody

u- joint Failure 1995 R1100R

Hi All The rear U joint failed on my brothers bike and we were looking at the fiche to find the part # and there doesn't appear to be one. Does anyone know the number and are they replaceable or do we need to replace the whole drive shaft? thanks in Advance Rod
  6. B

2009 RT U-Joint Failure

Most of the final drive failures I've seen relate to leaking seals. Today, at interstate speed I felt a vibration and smelled something similar to the clutch spell. Lasted a second. A few miles later another strong vibration and loss of speed. Pulled over to the shoulder and while the bike...
Back