• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

starter

1. H

Upgrading Everything Need Suggestions on Starter and alternator

I am stripping down my 77 r100/7, electrical and everything and I am replacing the alternator and starter. I want to go with top of the line. I’ve heard that Cognito Moto sells a solid Enduralast unit but I also heard Silent Hektik is great as well. As for starters I’m unsure which one to go...
  2. Y

Newbie with electrical upgrade question for 1972 75/5

Hello, I recently purchased a 1972 75/5 and it in great shape except it needs a lot of electrical work. The starter was replaced and I have ordered new coils and wiring harness. This is my first motorcycle (I have only worked on dirt bikes through the years) so its a little daunting. My question...
  3. J

dead K75C

I finally sold my long term K75C project to a friend who bought it for his son for Christmas as his first motorcycle. All he needed to do was ride it across town which is ten minutes away and park it in his garage. I thought to myself, I never thought I'd see the day but it was going to a good...
  4. heejrbmw

K75S - Will not start but RPM gauge registers RPMs without engine

My 92 K75S will not start. I found an accessory wire on the positive battery terminal intermittently shorted to the battery hold down bracket. The battery seemed to be dead. When checked without load it showed 12.76 volts. When the ignition key is turned to "on" position and before touching the...
  5. A

Starter Relay

Just need help in locating the starter relay on a 1978 R100/7? Is it on the left side? Thank you
  6. Z

Bought a 2004 R1200CLC a week ago, now it won't start

Last week I bought a 2004 R1200CLC with less than 8000 miles on it. Great ride. Rode it for 5 days with no problems. Sixth day I go out with the wife, we make several stops and after the third stop when I tried starting it, seemed the battery almost died. The first few attempts it barely turned...
  7. grover1949

Starter Problem on '83 R65

Last week, after about a 20 mile ride, when I went to start my '83 R65, I could hear the relay click under the seat, but nothing from the starter. After hitting the starter button 4-5 times, it kicked in and fired right up. This morning, same thing; it required 4-5 hits of the starter button...
  8. manitou_commando

Starter not turning....

Hi Folks, Pressed the starter button today (after turning the key) and not so much as a solenoid click. Charged the battery (2 years old). Valeo starter installed 5+ years ago. Did a rudimentary check for pinched, cut, and grounded wires and found nothing. The horn and lights work. Measured...
  9. D

2009 R1200GS Lazy/weak starter

I will start by apologizing to you all if this is something I should know about and/or has been answered many times before. I am experiencing an intermittent issue starting my 2009 R1200GS when the engine (and the weather is really hot). The BMW dealer recently installed a brand new BMW battery...
  10. globalrider

Valeo Starter Failure - Another Cause of Failure

Background... For a few days, I had noticed a difference in starting ability, referring to the sound the starter made during starts even though they were of normal duration...say the usual one second that the starter button needs to be depressed. Then after having stopped for a couple of photo...
  11. jlevee

2004 R1150 Starting Issue

I have a 2004 R1150 Rockster. Recently it has been having issues starting in colder weather (I am in Arizona). I have noticed that if parked in the sun, or recently ridden starts fine. But in the mornings (<70 degrees it does not want to start) The starter was replaced last year, the...
  12. soflopro

1975 r90/6 starting issues...

1975 r90/6 been running for a few years, with issues here and there, but she always seem to start(even if i had to push) until recently... a few months back i had a leaky brake mc, it flooded the starter relay. got the relay cleaned and rebuilt the MC, everything worked fine after. most...
  13. C

79 R100T Starting Problem...

Hello, I'm new here, this is my first post. :-) When I turn on the ignition, all the lights come up and the volt meter reads ~12V, transmission is in neutral, when I press the starter button: nothing happens, no clicking or anything. The only thing that happens is the brake failure light...
  14. A

k75 starter stuck sticky - Thanks!

15. G

1971 R75/5-battery - starter

Just bought a decent R75. The starter switch worked when I bought the bike. The battery was bad, so I replaced the battery with a new one. The stater switch does not work now. I am wondering if I shorted out the system when removing the old battery and may have touched + and ! against the...
  16. R

Lubing Spline by removing starter

I am having a shifting problem on my '02 R1150RT. I have heard that you can get some lube on the spline by removing the starter. Anybody heard anything on this? Bob
Back