• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

oilhead

1. K

R1100sal

I have a 2001 R1100SAL with about 5,000 miles. I think this is a very low production model (read somewhere that only 200 were made), and I'm trying to find some data on selling prices. KBB doesn't list this model. Where's a good place to look ?
  2. E

R1100RS seat

Hi folks, I’m looking for a seat similar to the picture attached to use on my 1994 R1100RS. Even the name of the seat would be helpful. I’m not sure what kind of seat this is so I’m not exactly sure how to search for the type of seat. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
  3. D

Hello from Nenana, AK

It's in the -40ºs right now. So, I'm spending the time daydreaming about my 2002 R1150GS(A). I put the (A) in () because it's not really an Adventure. It's a GS that's been fitted with the larger tank and more capable suspension. Still requires high octane fuel. Anyway, just wanted to say hello...
  4. T

New rattling and whining noise that has me worried

This is my first post so forgive me if I'm writing in the wrong place. I have a 2004 r1150r rockster with about 50,000 miles, whereas I bought it last year with 42,000. I just recently put a new bmw factory gel battery, and a new similiar but newer made starter that matches the one on it to a t...
  5. T

Which top case will fit this rack and this bike?

I have a 2004 R1550 R Rockster, with the attached luggage rack/grid. I've been looking around and trying to figure out which OEM top case will go on this rack. Can someone share the proper part number? It seems that the 22L or 33L top cases might work, but I don't want to get the wrong item...
  6. gitrplyr44

R1100RS Stumbles and quits on acceleration

OK. Newbie here. I have a 96 R1100RS ABS with 32K miles on it. Wasn't properly stored, so I am gradually replacing parts. New Fuel pump, new fuel sending unit, New HES, replaced coil. New TPS. I did the valves and timing per the various manuals and information posted here. The bike ran...
  7. david.soley

94 R1100RS Knock and Valve Train Noise

I have a 1994 R1100 RS with 48,000 miles. Recently it felt like the throttle bodies were becoming out of sync. I had replaced the throttle cable in the beginning of the summer and assumed that the cables had stretched. It also was time for an oil and filter change. I changed the oil and did...
  8. N

Where to find info on parts

I have a 99 R1100 RT-P and I thought the aux fan was bad. But taking the bike apart and testing the fan, it worked fine. So now I suspect the temperature switch part number 17211342174. Everyone will sell me the part but I can't find a picture and location so I can test it. Can anyone help me on...
  9. N

99 fan motor # 17112317705

Morning. My 99 RT-P aux cooling fan motor died the other day and so my operating temps have almost doubled. In this heat I don't need that. The part number for the fan is 17112317705 and I can get it rebuilt locally but I need to know the correct output, amperage etc to tell the shop rebuilding...
  10. OfficerImpersonator

"Grabby" or "jerky" brakes?

I bought my 2002 RTP from a private party five years ago. Never having ridden an R-bike with ABS brakes before, I assumed the "grabby/jerky" brakes were simply a quirk of the machine. Over the next couple of months of riding, I learned that the "grabbiness/jerkiness" of the brakes could be...
  11. K

Sticky shift lever. Shift lever pivot seized

Hi- I'm a very relieved oilhead owner. I thought I had an expensive transmission prob, but it was just the shift lever. Two questions... I have a 2001 R1150GS with 95,000 miles. The transmission started getting very hard to shift. The shift lever would stay in the last position- I had to...
  12. S

Recommended year

I am in the market for an oilhead and want advice on what years and models to avoid or pursue. I presently ride an airhead with a windscreen and don't want a lot of "extra plastic" (e.g. RT or RS), though I am not a cafe racer or hotshot. I don't even know if I'd want an 1100 or an 1150, so...
  13. B

Difference between Oilhead and Hexhead

I'm new to BMW and recently bought a 2005 R1200ST. I've been trying to find out what is the difference between Oilheads and Hexheads and can't find an explantion. So, to the BMW community what is the difference?
Back