• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

drive shaft

1. R

Canadian info for GS & GSA driveshaft replacement

I just went through the process of getting a brand new driveshaft, shipped to my house, for my 2015 GS in BC Canada. I thought I would pass on my experience to our members. I first read about this inspection/ replacement on this Website a few months ago but just last week I read in the...
  2. Chiefmanywrenches

I stumbled across a new part number for GS drive shaft

The last time i looked a bmw driveshaft was almost $1500, how about $219.10?????? As preventative maintenance or peace of mind its pretty reasonable. Cheers!!
  3. B

Used or rebuilt Drive shaft? 07 R1200RT-P

My 07 R1200RT-P has a bad U-joint and does not appear to be rebuildable. Disabled vet just getting back to work so cash is very short. Are aftermarket, used or rebuilt driveshafts a realistic alternative? If so, any suggestions for vendors? BMW newbie, any suggestions would be greatly...
  4. brownie0486

Drive shaft question

Had the 2011 RT serviced for the upcoming trip. Oil change, splines lubed on drive shaft, new tires and running lights installed. When I picked up the work order I read this "drive shaft has some notching in the joints, overall okay" The RT just turned 17K. When I spoke to my mechanic, he said...
  5. K

final drive service

did my lubrication of the drive shaft on my 2012 r 1200 rt I was able to do both ends of the drive shaft without removing the swing arm. Getting the drive shaft to engage on the engine end took some moving of the drive shaft to get the right angle and then to knock the drive shaft enough to...
  6. B

2016 GS Drive Shaft Rusted to FD

Getting ready for a trip to Idaho from North Dakota. Changed final drive oil and attempted to inspect and grease final drive splines and found the U joint rusted to the final drive input shaft. Trying to soak it overnight with Kroil penetrating fluid. Prying between the shaft and U joint didn't...
  7. C

r1100rt transmission output shaft fore and aft play

So, had a vibration in the driveline somewhere and got a used shaft which I installed yesterday. Couple things: - The female piece that fits on the final drive input shaft was wiggly side to side, the new/used one was tight. No play. Don't know why the old one was loose. Couldn't have been...
  8. B

Camheads and Hexheads and Top Mileage Obtained

We all hear a lot about how many miles a rider has traveled and the awards they can garner; but are there any records of how many miles bikes have logged and how an owner explains some of the major miles they have gotten out of their bikes and how they keep them running despite the bikes age and...
  9. thatmanstu

Final Drive Noise On CenterStand(ad infinitum)

2006 R12RT . Bike has over 102k miles and runs like a dream. Has never had any FD issues across previous two owners. Recently detected noises from FD/DS...Removed Swing Arm and DS to find a fish-mouthed front boot on Trans end and typical resulting corrosion on DS U-Joint(Trans end). Sent the DS...
  10. TheRock58

2007 R1200 GSA - Driveshaft Failure

Okay, I've officially joined the 'Drive Shaft Failure Club' at 85,000 miles. It looks like a new drive shaft will cost $1,066.05 plus tax...... I have removed the drive shaft; however, I can't seem to remove the remnant from the output shaft on the transmission. Clearly it must be pried off...
  11. B

Drive shaft / u-joint rebuild

Well, my new (to me) 2007 needs drive shaft or a rebuild. I dropped the FD to change the gear oild and discovered that the u-joint bearings are out on the drive shaft at the rear end where it goes into the final drive. Luckily it doesn't appear to have damaged anything yet, as it hasn't...
  12. Motor unit 7

Greasing Spline

Well I have done a fair amount of work on my 2004 RT-P but according to my servicing I am due to Grease the spline between the engine and the transmission! Okay! do people really do this ? if so how hard is it to do and is there any instructions on how to do the job. While the bike is apart...
Back