• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

clutch

1. zenwhipper

2016 RT Throttle Response / Clutch Issue?

Out on a 6 day trip through OR and WA last week. Riding along on HWY 97 went to pass a car. Was doing 65 MPH in 5th gear. I downshifted, applied throttle and went to pass. I was in forth gear when I started to pass. When I hit the throttle, the bike RPM dramatically increased, say 1K and the...
  2. B

Noise in the clutch

My 2017 RT has started a rattle in the clutch. I can hear it when it's cold but not after it's warmed up. When I pull the clutch in it is quite. 77,000 on the bike. Clutch don't slip. Anyone else have this problem Bob
  3. J

1971 R75/5 Grabby Clutch

I have finished a significant amount of work bringing back my R75/5 from a number of years off the road, including a valve job, new rings, replacing most rubber parts, rebuilding both Bings, new coils. plug wires and plugs, solid state voltage regulator, new AGM battery, new starter, etc. Now...
  4. M

All neutrals after deceleration

My '94 R100R with 15K miles suddenly after decelerating from highway speed went into neutral and wouldn't engage any gear. The clutch pull became abnormally light. The clutch cable and external linkage all appear intact. After rotating the the rear wheel back and forth with the bike on the...
  5. W

Help confirming clutch diagnosis on an 03 1150GS with 14k

So I picked up a real clean 2003 R1150GS Sport back in May with 7500 miles and it now has 14K on the clock. A few days ago I noticed the clutch lever felt a little spungy and it was engaging at the end of the throw so I checked the fluid resevoir and it was almost empty, the fluid that was there...
  6. P

Stuck Clutch

Hi all, New here - just bought my first bike, a 1980 R100 RT ! The bike looks and sounds great, but I noticed right away that the bite-point on the clutch was very high, with almost no room left on the handle lever. After my first ride (once the bike was in full operating temp) the clutch...
  7. S

Clutch Rattle Noise

I have a 2012 R1200RT with 19,000 miles on it. She is in fantastic shape, however, I've noticed a rattling sound comining from what I think is the clutch during idle. Whenever i engage and disengage the clutch it goes away. Otherwise, during a ride, the clutch performs perfectly. Any ideas if...
  8. H

Replacing the K1300 S clutch pack

After 85000 miles on my K1300s I made the decision to change the clutch pack with a package made by Barrett. Now to do the job, which looks less complicated than replacing the clutch on my R1100RT. I need to acquire the two BMW tools (the alignment pin, and the driver lock). Does anyone have...
  9. D

'83 R65 Starter Troubleshooting Advice

Hello! I'm new to the forum but hoping someone with more experience might have some advice about an issue I've recently had with my 1983 BMW R65. About three weeks ago I noticed a metallic rattle when the engine was running (particularly in low gears). Didn't want to run it much hoping to...
  10. CaptRehkopf

2014 RT clutch sticking

This issue has happened 3 times. It involves the clutch 100% engaging when the clutch lever is moved about 1/64 of and inch. First time it happened I was at a left turn signal and started to accelerate but the engine died, so I restarted the bike and basically the same thing happened. A...
  11. R

'98 K12RS stuck in 5th gear

My 98 K12Rs has 55,575 miles. I was 8 miles from home when I tried to down shift and found the trans was stuck in 5th gear. Only had I intersection so I got home ok. Shut bike and checked shifter, it seemed to have excessive play but as I had never checked it b4, who van say? Still stuck in 5th...
  12. L

2000 R1100R Clutch Switch Removal

Like many, the clutch switch on my R1100R has failed. I have read several threads, primarily related to the RT, on how to remove the switch. The consensus is to clip the wires and use a thin walled, deep 11mm socket. Unfortunately, I have had no luck as the 12 pt deep socket I am using will...
  13. T

Clutch Replacement ?

Hi, Has anyone replaced their clutch? If so, did it improve/resolve the clutch drag issue? I've just purchased a 2015 GS with 7500 km on it. It has a significant clunk when going into first from neutral. So significant, that the bike will jump slightly and I have to keep the brake applied. If...
  14. T

'14 GSW clutch lever engagement horrible and flywheel to light, sudden engine kill

Very disappointed with the clutch lever action of this bike. The light tension is nice but this thing keeps changing engagement points on me and it's driving me nuts. Upon first startup and ride of the day the clutch always begins to engage at or less than a 1/4 release of the lever. Next thing...
  15. J

2001 R1150 GS - Clutch / Transmission Failure at 14,500 miles

Today I headed out for a ride on a beautiful day in Michigan - one of few we've had this spring. I had the 6,000 interval service completed at my local BMW dealership at about 13,500 miles in March. Check oil every time I ride, and at every fill up - no issues with burning oil or leakage...
  16. manitou_commando

Clutch Replacement

I just had the gearbox from my '88 R 100 refreshed. Five new bearings, seals and circlip upgrade. It has 81,000 miles so while the transmission is out, it is a good time to replace the clutch. The friction plate measures 5mm. That said, when replacing the clutch, besides the friction plate and...
  17. espressoforyou

Believe it or not: 9th time my 05 GS is broken in half for leaking seals

I know that some of you think I must be making this up. But I just dropped my bike off at Bloodworth again for another leaking seal. This will be the 9th time my bike will be broken in half. Little Rock BMW did the repair work four times and Bloodworth BMW in Nashville the other four repairs...
  18. B

1988 K100 RS questions

I'm trying to check all splines by myself and get the machine going again. 1. What grease is recommended for the swing arm bearings? 2. What grease is recommended for the drive shaft universal joint? 3. I'm going to use a 50/50 mix of Honda moly 60 and Wurth 3000 for the splines as I...
  19. S

2005 R1200RT engine stalls when cold and clutch lever let out

My 2005 R1200RT has 102,000 miles and recently has started to stall when the engine is cold (not ambient temperature-wise, but simply cold meaning not having run recently) as I start to let out the clutch lever. If I let the bike idle for a minute or two, the bike will not stall. Any thoughts...
  20. K

airhead clutch throw-out rod run-out tolerances

Hi MOA, a fellow member and I are working on his 1980 R65 which has a nasty clutch problem where the clutch disengages at different places and too quickly. We are trying to determine if the problem is his throw-out rod having a 0.002 inch runout. example: You are stopped at a light and try...
Back