• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

k1200rs

1. D

K1200RS brakes - gone

after a tiny fall, my brakes started to have problems . . Same ol ABS issues as most. Faults on dash, etc. But worked. Flushed ABS system and lines, and it worked to get rid of faults, to my shock. Went for a quick ride and all was well. Put it all back together and then battery died...
  2. J

Bike Won't Start

I spent the weekend bleeding the front and rear brake circuits on my buddy’s 04 K1200RS. When we were finished with the job we had a tipover as we were installing the rear wheel. We got the bike upright and there was no visible damage or leaks but now the engine turns but doesn’t start. Can...
  3. R

'03 K1200rs windshield problem

I've used the windshield in the "up" and "down" positions, but yesterday, 700+ miles from home, while in the "up" position, the windshield mounting arms folded back, leaving the windshield tipped back at 45 degrees or more When I put it back in the "up" position, it tips back again after...
  4. G

Gear oil for '98 K1200RS trans and final drive

Hello all. I have a 1998 K1200RS with 50,000 miles and I'm trying to decide what gear oil to put in the transmission and final drive. A youtube video recommended Castrol MTX SAE 75W-140 but I can't find that for sale anywhere. My local BMW bike service department recommended 75W-90 but didn't...
  5. G

Newbie: '99 K1200RS tires - what's good, what's bad?

I expect to pick up a 1999 K1200RS with low miles next week and I'm anticipating I'll need tires for it. Are there current recommendations for particular tires? A compromise between performance and mileage would be appropriate. Thanks for your advice.
  6. R

'98 K12RS stuck in 5th gear

My 98 K12Rs has 55,575 miles. I was 8 miles from home when I tried to down shift and found the trans was stuck in 5th gear. Only had I intersection so I got home ok. Shut bike and checked shifter, it seemed to have excessive play but as I had never checked it b4, who van say? Still stuck in 5th...
  7. bmwryder666

'99 K1200RS Temperature Light

I live roughly 15 miles from work and ride daily. For the past week or so, on my way home, the temp is climbing. So much so, that a few times, right after turning onto my street, the needle would cross over into the red zone and my temp light would come on. Within the past 12 months, I have...
  8. B

tank bag for K1200RS

Seeking recommendations for tank bag for '99 K1200RS. Have searched the threads and unsure whether recommendations for other models will work with my bike (can you tell I am a newbie?). Thanks
  9. Mama1200

Prairies on a K1200RS? Why not?!?

I just released my video of some of my travels across the vast Canadian prairies. Despite the distance one is able to see there were no corners to be had. It was hot (for the most part) but the horizon seems endless Video Link
  10. Mama1200

Tall windscreen for K1200RS?

I own an 2003 K1200RS and after spending a great summer on it and 18,100miles I have learned to hate the factory windscreen. What success has anyone on here had with taller windscreens? Brands? I am 6'3" so any of you other tall riders that have found a solution to the buffeting please let me know.
  11. F

Los Angeles - Need good mechanic

I bought my first BMW last fall and need some minor issues resolved. Some of it sounds common to the 1998 K1200rs: fan doesn't work, rear running light / indicator goes on / off and I have a bit of an oil leak around the head. Anybody have someone they trust in LA, preferably in the SFV...
Back