• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

starting

1. O

Barn Find 2004 R1150 GS Adventure ( odd electrical fault )

Hello All, I got the above motorcycle from an old friend that parked it up for seven years...with gas in it. I've got the tank off and I'm resealing it. I put a fresh battery in it, turned the key, all the dash lights flashed, and that's all. With the bike off it's center stand and on the kick...
  2. R

S1000XR Starting Issues

Hello all Hotheads, I have a 2021 XR with less than 600 miles on it. I just love this machine......when it starts. Here's the symptoms. I go out to start it and it behaves like it has a dead battery with a slow womp, womp, womp and dead. Meanwhile lights are nice and bright and TFR is on...
  3. N

'16 R1200RT - rough starts - reset all settings

Every third/fourth/fifth start of my bike it seems to struggle. I have not been able to see a pattern (AM starts, long delays, warm/cold ...) but once ever three or four or five times I hit the start button and it sounds like its struggling to start and then usually kicks over. This morning...
  4. S

2016 R1200GS dies when putting in first gear

Hi Guys and gals I have had this problem before. This morning, I tipped my bike over and was able to right it immediately ( No damage ). I was able to start the bike, but when I put in first gear, the engine cut out immediately and continued to do so several times. My question is why this is...
  5. S

Key on, then - nothing.

The problem on my '07 R1200R started years ago. Maybe once in 50 starts it would fail to initialize. I'd fiddle with the kill switch, tweak the kickstand, and it would go.Lately it's gotten worse. Last month I replaced the 6-year old battery and put it on the tender. Yesterday it took...
  6. M

Intermittent Starting Problems 1150RT

2004 Model year, 40k miles Last year on a hot day and after a brief stop, I tried to start her up and all I heard was a dull "click" and the entire electric circuit cut out for a second or so (clock reset, no lights, etc.). All came back within about 2 seconds. Waited a few minutes, tried...
  7. J

2001 K1200RS - electrical

Owner of a 2001 K1200RS with approximately 140,000 km on the odometer. We just came back from a weekend trip through New York State and back to Ontario. Several times during the trip the bike did nothing when trying to start it. Ignition on, side stand up, in neutral, clutch pulled in and...
Back