• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

oil

1. R

R1150RT (R22) Temperature light

Hi !!! At what temperature does the light turn on on an r1150 ?? Thank for your return !! Richard
  2. P

Another . . . but slightly different . . . oil discussion . . . !

Hi all, this isn't directed at one engine/bike type, so I wanted to put it here to catch a majority of owners, there is an issue of many bike's owner's manuals from the past few years, having a comment in the oil section that refers confusingly to a prohibition from oil additives, and an...
  3. G

1982 R100RT Oil Cooler Delete?

Hello to the community, Relatively new member here. I have embarked down the dark path of rescuing an '82 R100RT. The original body work was in relatively rough shape, so as I rebuild the bike I am going to do so without the OEM fairings. Naturally I am attempting to streamline things as much...
  4. hamboyjohn

2013 R1200RT dirty intake valves after oil overfill

2013 r1200rt [removed thread]
  5. M

What Oil?

I'm sure it's been asked before, but what oil should I be using in my new 2019 K1600GT that won't bankrupt me like the BMW oil? Penzoil 5W40 EU?
  6. P

'04 R1150RT Transmission Oil Recommendation

Hi All - What is the current thinking on what transmission oil to use on my 2004 R1150RT? I reviewed posts that I could find on all oilheads. It seems that Mobile 1 (75w140) might be better than BMW recommendation (90W?). I am hesitant to go to RedLine Heavy, but could quiet shifting. No...
  7. F

Y2K R1100RS - power loss, white smoke, no idle, oil leak. Monday a.m QB

Riding home from Mom’s for Mother’s Day, had a sudden loss of power when passing, then engine sputtering, and lots of white smoke. Fortunately made it to the side of the road, where I managed to get another 1/2 mile to an exit from the tollway and into a gas station. While waiting for a truck...
  8. B

2003 K1200GT, Oil in Coolant reservoir

2003 K1200 GT with 109,000 miles. Noticed some drops under the bike, from the center stand, transmission area and rearward (nothing from the engine area or in the belly pan). Drops were oil and coolant. I could see some oil and coolant on the rear shock spring, thought maybe rear seal...
  9. S

The slippery oil question

After a long time with my 2005 R1200ST i just got my dream bike 2012 R1200RT! In the past I have always used 20W50 full synthetic oil in my ST but the previous owner of my new bike swears by the 15W50 BMW blend. The bike has 14K on it and I personally see no wrong with using the 20W50. Any...
  10. O

BMW's mixed message

So, my 2014 r1200 GS and your wethead as well calls for 5W40 oil meeting a whole list of letter and number standards. Castrol had been BMW's recommended provider with a 5W40, but in June BMW signed a deal with Shell. Shell does not list a 5W40, only a 10W40 and up like the majority of brands...
  11. I

R1100GS Oil Leak...right side near Telelever Pivot?

So I bought a 1996 R1100GS this past summer from a great BMW owner who followed all the maintenance schedules to dot, including replacing the OEM brake lines every few years. The bike now has around 68k miles, having just completed a 1k mile weekend a few weeks ago. On that ride last week, I...
  12. 175781

Oil Drain Plug Tool -First DIY Oil Change 04 1150RT/Stupid Question Alert

I change the oil on everything else. So it's time to do the RT. Filter wrench: check. Overpriced Oil from Autozone (almost twice the price as the same brand/weight for cars): Check. Torque wrench: Check. Crush washers: Check. Filter: Check. Then, when I get under the bike, I realize that...
  13. jlevee

Mixing Oils

I am sure this question has been asked & answered many times over, but I did not see it in a search. Over the years & oil changes i have wound up with all sorts of miscellaneous partial quarters of oils sitting around in my garage. 15w50, 20w50, synthetic, dino, etc. All of this has me...
  14. R

F650 2005 oil in air chamber question

I just did the AGM battery upgrade on my '05GS, and pulled the air filter for a look into the "air chamber". Wow, I was surprised to see an oil film on everything and a small amount of oil lying in the bottom. Is this a wet chamber that purposely mixes air into the intake air? FYI: My bike at...
Back