• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ignition

1. R

E W S R1200RT died. Ring antenna?

Hope this is the correct spot to post this. A few miles from home (after about a 75 mile ride) my bike suddenly died and "E W S" flashing on the panel. I was able to pull over. I turned of the ignition and than back on and it started back up so I was able to ride it home. Has any one...
  2. J

Fried ignition wiring

Anyone had their ignition wiring go up in smoke for no reason? Just got to the last day of a trip up the Oregon Coast. Pulled into the Hotel, room not ready yet so got back on the bike to get some lunch. Turned on the key lights came on, hit the starter, got a bump and all the lights went out...
  3. Y

Newbie with electrical upgrade question for 1972 75/5

Hello, I recently purchased a 1972 75/5 and it in great shape except it needs a lot of electrical work. The starter was replaced and I have ordered new coils and wiring harness. This is my first motorcycle (I have only worked on dirt bikes through the years) so its a little daunting. My question...
  4. T

2002 K1200LT easy to start and good idle but bad misfire above idle, not drivable

My 2002 K1200LT has developed a terrible misfire at all speed greater than idle both steady state and no load acceleration. The engine starts easily cold and hot and idles evenly. No black smoke out exhaust but plugs are a little sooty. I have checked all wiring connections, installed new air...
  5. wynk

1978 R80/7 What is my ignition? What charging system should I get (or keep)?

Where I need help is what my bike has in terms of an ignition system, and what people recommend. I've read reports and forums posts for a few hours now, but I'm confused because my bike is a 1978 R80/7 but the previous owner added an electronic ignition in the 1990s. I think I want a clean slate...
  6. R

Need Recommendation for Service - TEXAS

On my 2015 RT, I replaced the battery about 3 months ago, and have had my BMW Motorrad Battery Charger attached whenever the bike is parked. Recently, I pulled the bike out of its barn, started it, left it run for 10 minutes, then shut it off by pressing the ignition button. Came back 15...
  7. grover1949

High Idle on '83 R65

About 4 years ago, I bought a 1983 R65. When hot, I would pull in the clutch and the engine would want to idle at 2500-3000 rpm. If stopped, I could put it in gear and start to let the clutch out; once the rpm dropped under 2,000, the engine would settle down to an idle of 750-800 rpm. I...
  8. B

1100RT High RPM/High Load Hiccup - Need Assistance with Diagnosis

My 1998 1100RT has developed a curious condition that I'm trying to narrow down. Symptoms... - Engine misses abruptly; similar to what happens when I hit the rev limiter - This occurs at 4,000 to 5,000 RPM, under load and full throttle, typically in 2 or 3 gear - It's one, quick miss, and the...
  9. grover1949

Amazing incompetence?

A little over a year ago, I bought a used BMW from a reputable group that reconditions them. After a test ride, while the bike was idling, I was going to flip the kill switch and the guy says, "Oh no. Don't do that." I didn't think anything of it. However, a little while ago I did...
  10. G

1971 R75/5-battery - starter

Just bought a decent R75. The starter switch worked when I bought the bike. The battery was bad, so I replaced the battery with a new one. The stater switch does not work now. I am wondering if I shorted out the system when removing the old battery and may have touched + and ! against the...
  11. chrisb

93 R100R intermittent power loss on long trips

I am experiencing a long-standing intermittent problem on my '93 R100R. I finally am concerned enough to dive into this as time permits, and I'd appreciate any suggestions for possible causes and potential resolutions. The problem I'm having only seems to exhibit itself during long trips...
  12. S

Dyna III timing woes

OK, probably not a Dyna III problem per se... I've got a '71 /5 on which the PO installed a Dyna III electronic ignition. While going through my the-wait-for-a-running-bike-is-almost-over tune-up, I ran into a problem when adjusting the timing dynamically: I get a double S (idle) and double F...
  13. Y

Coil for 1981 R65

My 1981 R65 has a cracked coil housing. Is there an inexpensive aftermarket replacement coil that will not require replacement of the Ignition Control Unit? Sources, part numbers and approximate prices appreciated. =============================================================== Just found an...
Back