• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

driveshaft phasing

1. J

2015 drive shaft phasing

I'm not sure if I even know what drive shaft phasing is. I ask about it because last summer I had a rewired stator installed by my dealer in my high mileage 2015 RT. Less than 2 weeks before the stator went bad I had the bike well into triple digits with no more vibration than before. In fact...
  2. C

r1100rt transmission output shaft fore and aft play

So, had a vibration in the driveline somewhere and got a used shaft which I installed yesterday. Couple things: - The female piece that fits on the final drive input shaft was wiggly side to side, the new/used one was tight. No play. Don't know why the old one was loose. Couldn't have been...
  3. H

08 R1200RT drive shaft

I first want to say that I am not a wrencher. So if my terminology is incorrect I ask your tolerance. I purchased my bike new in 08. At 57k miles I had the bike painted. There was considerable disassembly to complete the paint. A non BMW motorcycle shop dis & re assembled the bike. I...
  4. nrpetersen

K1200LT driveshaft phasing?

I just reassembled my K1200LT w a rebuilt FD per the Clymer manual & got it out of my workshop & into the garage. There a fresh 14 inches of snow here so there's no rush, but -------- I just realized that I did not phase the two U-joints. I have not found in the manual if, much less how...
  5. W

Paralever U-Joints: Correct Phase?

Paul Graves wrote a great article in the "BMW ON" May 2009 on "Driveshaft Operation and Maintenance". In that article he went into detail of why it is critical to get the U-Joints on driveshaft "in the correct phase" to prevent damage to the joints and shaft. Especially on the GS due to the long...
  6. O

Driveshaft Phasing?

I understand the driveshaft phasing and I have looked at 3 K100RS shafts including a new one at the dealer and none were perfectly phased. All were off perfect alignment by about one tooth. Is this acceptable? Thanks Dale C.
Back