• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

electrical

1. O

Barn Find 2004 R1150 GS Adventure ( odd electrical fault )

Hello All, I got the above motorcycle from an old friend that parked it up for seven years...with gas in it. I've got the tank off and I'm resealing it. I put a fresh battery in it, turned the key, all the dash lights flashed, and that's all. With the bike off it's center stand and on the kick...
  2. D

Help! R27 Wiring in the Headlight

I am new to the forum. Thanks to all my predecessors for having so much information! This is my first vintage BMW. The wiring was a mess and mostly disconnected. I've installed a new main wiring harness but I'm struggling to identify the correct poles on the wiring terminal located within the...
  3. W

Need electrical help

I have a 2020 R1250GSA, and today I was trying to install a Neutrino power distribution block when I apparently shorted two small wires that live under the passenger seat. Now I cannot get the ignition to turn on. I first thought I blew a fuse, but looking at forums it sms this bike has no...
  4. A

Taillight blinking when signalling

Some where on a ride today my signal lights got screwed up. When I put the left or right signal on the taillight blinks and the rear signals light up faintly on the off beat if the taillight . Anyone run into anything similar ?
  5. J

Fried ignition wiring

Anyone had their ignition wiring go up in smoke for no reason? Just got to the last day of a trip up the Oregon Coast. Pulled into the Hotel, room not ready yet so got back on the bike to get some lunch. Turned on the key lights came on, hit the starter, got a bump and all the lights went out...
  6. S

2008 K1200S Low Beam Failure

Just bought an '08 K1200S after several years of looking and I had a burned out low beam head lamp bulb. Easy enough to remove and replace the obviously toasted H7 bulb; however, the new bulb also did not work and I still got the LAMPF! warning when I powered on the bike. I swapped the bulb...
  7. wynk

1978 R80/7 What is my ignition? What charging system should I get (or keep)?

Where I need help is what my bike has in terms of an ignition system, and what people recommend. I've read reports and forums posts for a few hours now, but I'm confused because my bike is a 1978 R80/7 but the previous owner added an electronic ignition in the 1990s. I think I want a clean slate...
  8. grover1949

Amazing incompetence?

A little over a year ago, I bought a used BMW from a reputable group that reconditions them. After a test ride, while the bike was idling, I was going to flip the kill switch and the guy says, "Oh no. Don't do that." I didn't think anything of it. However, a little while ago I did...
  9. R

2003 R1150RT - Rear I -Abs out and Flashing Lights ?

ABS Guru's, I need some clarification Please ! I just completed full clutch spline lube. After reassembling the bike I verified that the ABS Servo system was working, brake lights working, servo's sounding off when brakes activated. But I hadn't run a roll-on test yet. I next balanced the...
  10. grover1949

Should this wire be connected? '83 R65

I'm still trying to track the problem with no headlights on my '83 R65. The problem began when I removed the tach to replace a bad bulb and socket in the neutral and high beam indicator lights. After the repair, I had no headlights. While digging deeper tonight, I found a connector in the...
  11. grover1949

"No-kill" kill switch and no headlight on R65

I have two electrical gremlins on my '83 r65 which may or may not be related. 1) Kill-Switch: The only thing the kill switch will kill is any bug it hits at 50+mph. I disconnected the battery ground, took the right side starter/kill switch off, cleaned it with electronic contact spray...
  12. 9

New Gerbing MP controllers- advice needed

I have tried to use a Gerbing MP (the newer microprocessor one - serial number ends in MP) single controller for a Gerbing jacket liner on my R90/6. The is the second one (first one replaced by dealer) and the problems are identical with both. After less than a mile, it flashes red, indicating a...
  13. bdimon

2005 R1200RT: Want to run electric power inside the 28L trunk

I want 12V power inside my 28 liter top box / trunk. It's double-walled but would that make it any harder? I figure I could drill a hole near the lower left front so I can run a connector to the bike's rear electrical plug. Now the funny thing is that several people warned me against doing this...
  14. soflopro

1975 r90/6 starting issues...

1975 r90/6 been running for a few years, with issues here and there, but she always seem to start(even if i had to push) until recently... a few months back i had a leaky brake mc, it flooded the starter relay. got the relay cleaned and rebuilt the MC, everything worked fine after. most...
  15. N

1972 R75/5 Voltage to Ground Question

I'm a new member, so thanks in advance for replies. I have a 1972 R75/5 Toaster. Can anyone tell me whether 13+ volts between the battery ground strap and the frame is normal for this bike? I'd like to know whether I should be looking for a wiring short. I was getting 0.56mA as well - but...
  16. 2

1978 R80 vs 1984 R80 electrical

I am purchasing an airhead after 25 years away from my well loved R60/6. Of course, if money were no object I would just get both and older and newer model! Hoping the community would offer it's $0.02 on experience with electrical on your '78 versus your mid '80s R80. From '81 forward BMW...
  17. espressoforyou

Need Help. How do I disable the servos on 05 GS

I am getting ready to take a trip and I need to disable the servos on my 2005 r1200GS. I might have a bad wiring harness but do not have the money to replace it or the time to search for damaged wires before the trip. My servos and ABS do not work most of the time but sometimes when going slow...
  18. M

Intermittent Starting Problems 1150RT

2004 Model year, 40k miles Last year on a hot day and after a brief stop, I tried to start her up and all I heard was a dull "click" and the entire electric circuit cut out for a second or so (clock reset, no lights, etc.). All came back within about 2 seconds. Waited a few minutes, tried...
  19. M

05 R1200GS - rain caused the dash to temporarily fail

So I was riding back today with some pals from a 4 day trip, and we got caught in some rain. No big deal, we were prepared, and had in fact started the trip in rain. It was a little different this time around, as after about 30 minutes, my dash started freaking out, it would report a various...
  20. B

Great Source for SAE Electrical Stuff

I have been working on "farkling" my BMW in order to better support stuff like my GPS, iPod, etc. In doing so I have looked quite a bit into setting up my various power needs around the SAE-2 12v plug, like the popular Battery Tender uses. I have found a small shop that has some very useful...
Back