• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

r100

1. G

R100 Years Produced - Flywheel Changes

I'm looking into an 1980 R100...with no suffix...just an R100. I believe they were made from 1980-1984. My question relates to the engine changes made in 1981. Did they make these bikes for one year with the heavier flywheel and points and then switch to the Nikasil cylinder liner, the...
  2. S

Aftermarket Speedometer Conversion (1978 R100RS) - hints or advice for success?

Hi, longtime BMW owner (R1200C) but new to BMW MOA and the forums. Also a new owner of a '78 R100RS (though the fairings have been replaced to look like an 'S'). The speedo on it is busted. The previous owner said he'd actually fixed it once but it broke again soon thereafter and he gave up...
  3. Y

'78 R100/7 -- idles great, coughing when warmed up; Mikuni VM32 carbs

So, I'm at a bit of a loss here. My '78 R100 has been gone through and gone over for the better part of this year. New wiring, Motogadget brain, new ignition coils, and (of course) new Mikuni VM32 carbs. It's a long story that's probably too sad for a forum like this :) Anyhow, I've had help...
  4. J

Just Purchased - 1979 R100T /7 with intermittent brakes and other strange issues...

Hey Forum, This is my first bmw bike and I'm really excited to start riding it and being a part of the forum! I just bought it over the weekend and rode it around town for the first time - there are some things that dont think are correct and wanted to get some ideas on where to start. The...
  5. L

Transmission chattering in first gear 1991 R100 RT

Hey everyone, I am rebuilding a 1991 R100 RT transmission myself this winter and wanted to enlist the help of the form. With 89k miles it developed a skip in first gear. Within 200 miles from the first occurrence that skip deteriorated into the eventual loss of use of first gear entirely. When...
  6. dovfrankel

Stock '81 R100RT seat not latching properly

I've been having problems with my seat, but haven't been able to find any solutions yet. The closest I came to someone having my problem was this thread, which was with an aftermarket seat: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?14067-Opening-stuck-seat-on-R100RT I'm the second owner of the...
  7. C

79 R100T Starting Problem...

Hello, I'm new here, this is my first post. :-) When I turn on the ignition, all the lights come up and the volt meter reads ~12V, transmission is in neutral, when I press the starter button: nothing happens, no clicking or anything. The only thing that happens is the brake failure light...
  8. rstrauss

Special order oversize pistons for 1980 R100. Anyone in?

Hello, Firstly, this is my first post here, and I look forward to being a member. I love my airhead, I loved the first airhead I saw, I'm excited. But, my airhead had some issues with the exhaust valve guide: it became unseated. Someone put on Bronze guides, and the machine shop says those...
  9. N

Rear Main Oil Seal Removal ~

I believe that folks are making more of a job out of this than is necessary. I had planned to disassemble an engine for some parts and finally got a chance to photograph the technique. Here in photographs is how I remove a rear main oil seal from the engine case of, in this case, a 1978 R100/7...
Back