• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

r1100rt

1. M

1999 R1100RT Front wheel replacement.

We purchased a front wheel for our 1999 BMW R1100RT from Ebay. Note, the numbers stamped on the wheels match but I hear this is not the true BMW part #? According to https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51680&rnd=07242017 my front wheel should e part # 36 31 2 311 220 CAST...
  2. M

R1100RT - Ohlins shock maint / setup / inspection in DFW area ?

We have a 1999 BMW R1100RT. We have 5 years / 5k miles on a set of Ohlin shocks. Ok, she's a garage queen I admit it... Is there any maintence or setup I should check on the shocks ? Note, the rear feels a little squirrelly to me. Is there a shop in DFW area that can inspect my shocks...
  3. M

R1100RT - Michelin Road 3 need replacing and no 18 inch Road5s from Michelin ?

I am told that I can't get the Michelin Road 5s for my R1100RT rear tire ie 160 / 60 18 ? Is the Pirelli Angel GT a good substitute ?
  4. verstehen

New owner, new member in Eastern Nebraska

After a brief bout of highway-legal motorscootering in the late 80s and a three-decade/two-wheeled hiatus following, I've been riding motorcycles – with the enthusiastic support of my Mrs – for just over two years. That time has seen me ride over 15,000 miles on Anglo-American iron (Bonneville...
  5. 1

Buying advice for lowered 1999 R1100RT

I'm seriously considering buying a fairly local bike, about an hour away with an asking price of $2,800. It has some early records, but out of the 3 PO only the first had it serviced at the dealer so the records are pretty scant. Red flag number one. It has about 50K miles on it, which seems...
  6. M

1998 R1100RT Low-side crash. Snapped supports to topcase.

Hi! Dang! Hit an oil slick tonight while taking a simple, traffic-free right-hand turn at a green light, travelling at about 10-15 mph. Leaned into the turn and *boom* we were down. Never saw the slick on a darkish and well travelled (well-stained) city street. I am fine, as I was fully geared...
  7. V

R1200RTW in Franklin, TN

2015 R1200RTW, 4,000 miles, purchased in Greenville, SC and now cruising around Nashville, TN. What a great machine, such a step up from previous models. Looking forward to many miles of fun.
  8. B

Suggestions on a Running Light Switch Location R1100RT

I purchased a set of SuperBright LED running lights for my 1100RT. The wiring harness on/off switch is round and about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. I want to mount this in the panel and am looking at the location to the right of the cigarette lighter socket. There's a few wires in that location...
  9. M

1998 1100RT valve cover gasket

So I managed to adjust my valves and change my plugs for the first time. I followed my Haynes as well as the Carl Kulow Oilhead Maintenance Manual. It was a slow and deliberate process and I think it went well. Problem is, when I put it all back together (at specified torques) and fired it up...
  10. M

1998 R1100RT Right Side Mirror Assembly - Dark Grey/Blue

Ah the joys of lane-splitting on LA freeways... Not so joyful when the driver of a truck doesn't see you and squeezes you between him and the car next to him. Bounced between both vehicles briefly, but managed to keep the shiny side up and squeak into the clear and then off to the shoulder...
  11. Bdiver

Fuel Injector Chatter

I was balancing my FI's tonight and the right side is chattering like crazy. What I saw was the idle screw (rock solid) and the butterfly? rotating part with cable just tapping away on it making the noise. I suspect it's time to replace or rebuild or something to both. My bike has 130K on it...
  12. G

1997 R1100RT quit in the rain

I'm expecting to find that corroded HES wiring is the issue. I've had my RT for about a month and with the rain today I thought it would be a good opportunity to see how she does in the wet. The ride was great. This is my first bike with anything more than a flyscreen and this is also the first...
  13. 8

Got my RT back!

Hey there MOA'ers, I just bought a 99RT from a friend in Minneapolis, and rode it back to West Linn, OR. In 3 days. Yeah, I'm crazy. But 1800 miles in 3 days is an accomplishment, for me at least. I actually put 600 miles on her before I left MN, mostly to get my riding chops back, since I...
  14. A

Questions to Ask - Viewing a '99 R1100RT

I'm viewing/testing a 1999 R1100RT today. I currently ride a 2001 F650GS single and anm looking to upgrade. My intent is to obtain an RT for a tour of the Southwest in May. The bike in question is an RT with 74k miles. My local and trusted BMW mechanic knows the owner and says he "is a guy who...
  15. S

2000 r1100rt brake specs?

Does anyone know the minimum thickness for r1100rt brake discs? I'm helping my dad rework a used BMW he bought and unfortunately we never met the previous owner (bank sale), and of course there weren't any service records. After finding a sizable plug repair in the rear tire, we decided it may...
  16. T

R1100RT Rear Ohlin Shock Setup

Hello... I have installed my modified Ohlin Shocks ( they are modified to drop the mc height 1" and I am happy to report that I can finally get my feet planted firmly on the ground!! I had to modify the kickstand and removed 5/8" and the bike leans great on the stand when parked. I was able to...
  17. R

New from Alpena, Michigan

Hey all, My name is Rodney Castaldi, and I live in Alpena Michigan with my wife, Sharon. Alpena may not be the end of the world, but I do believe that you can see it from here... j/k. I have had several motorcycles throughout my life, but never considered myself a "seasoned" rider. I...
Back