• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

top case

1. O

Top Case Will not open

Recently bought a used R1200RT 2007 – came with panniers and a top case. While the mounting latch works fine, the case opening latch as finicky. Recently it stopped opening. Thankfully only trapping dead air in it. What is the least intrusive method of opening this so I can get at the...
  2. L

New 49 L top case, how to remove lock Cylinder ?

Hello All, I am a proud owner of a 2019 r1250rt at time of purchase I didn’t want to pay the exorbitant price for the fancy top case. I Have been looking online for a used one for sale and found one in fantastic condition from a 2018 1200rt with just about the same color. Here’s my...
  3. dunc723

49L Topcase Disassembly

I have a BMW 49L topcase on my 2006 RT. I want to install tail/brake/turn signal lights on the lower half of the case and run the wiring in the space between the outer shell and inner shell. Is it possible to disassemble the two? I tried removing all the screws on the inside and could sort of...
  4. S

Hepco & Becker Top case on a 2003 K1200 GT, possible?

Thinking about ordering the Hepco & Becker top case: http://www.accessoryinternational.com/product/hepco-becker-610-087-journey-top-case-50-liter.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI85Oiuv2A3QIVkshkCh0D2wz6EAQYASABEgL49vD_BwE On my 2003 K1200 GT. It has a universal mounting rack that looks like it will...
  5. T

Jesse Top Case on a R1200RT?

Hi All: I just purchased a 2017 R1200RT and I'd like to get an aftermarket top case for it. I've always been a fan of the Jesse cases for their strength and overall looks. I'd like to install the 45 liter standard top case but unfortunately Jesse doesn't make a top case mounting bracket for the...
  6. T

Which top case will fit this rack and this bike?

I have a 2004 R1550 R Rockster, with the attached luggage rack/grid. I've been looking around and trying to figure out which OEM top case will go on this rack. Can someone share the proper part number? It seems that the 22L or 33L top cases might work, but I don't want to get the wrong item...
  7. B

Top Case Interior Light

I've searched everywhere and can't believe this question hasn't been asked before: Is there a way to change the duration of the top case interior light? Seems like it's about 30 to 40 seconds and I would like to give it a couple of minutes. I'm old and slow and need time to take off and store...
  8. M

2015 R1200RT - DIY Small Top Case & Side Case LED Run/Brake/Turn Signal Lights

Hello fellow RT'ers. I don't know about you, but I was not happy with the amount of light on the back of my 15' RT. Don't get me wrong, I do like the LED tailight, but I wanted MORE - a full "triangle" of light which incorporated the top case and side cases! I'm pretty happy with my results -...
  9. franz

2012 R1200RT Re-Keying a 49L Top Case

I bought a used 49L top case. It came with one key. I asked my dealer if the box could be re-keyed to my bike's ignition key. They said no, because it's too hard to disassemble and re-key. True or false? Please advise.
  10. K

09 R1200GS Aluminum Top Case Compatibility.

First Post! My first BMW! So much to learn. Its an '09 R1200GS had 24000km when I got it in the spring. I am in Ontario for the summer (home is Golden, BC) and I am using it as my sole mode of transport. What a blast. Also I am going to ride it 2 up home after Labour Day. The reason for more...
  11. L

28L Top Case Help

Hoping someone might chime in... :whistle I need to rekey the 28L top case and was hoping to find out how to seperate the inner half of the bottom case. The latches are not real smooth in operation and I would have good access to the lock cylinder for the rekeying. Has anyone performed the...
  12. M

Top Case Wiring Connector Help!

I hope someone smarter than me can help me! I just received delivery of a brand new 2013 K1600GTL yesterday (my first BMW). Prior to turning it over to me, the salesman showed me how to disconnect the wiring connector for the top case (under the seat). Trouble is, he didn't reconnect it...
  13. mtzgrr1951

Touratech Top Case Modification

Anyone else out there troubled when you close the Touratech Top Case and you pinch the stop cable between the body of the case and the top? I was. Here is my small and inexpensive modification to stop the pinch! Go to your local hardware and purchase a light-weight 2" spring that expands...
  14. D

Goldwing Trunk on an Airhead ?

I need advice on mounting a 1980ÔÇÖs style Goldwing trunk on my 1983 R80RT. My wife and I have traveled on several 1000+ mile trips and have concluded that the current distance limiting factor is the comfort in the back rest. We love the R80RT (we took our honeymoon on it) and have no plans to...
Back