• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

brakes

1. palerider5763

A brake rotor question - 1984 R100

Hello all - I am going through a new-to-me 84 R100CS LE, trying to address a number of age-related and sitting-related issues. A point of contention between the bike and I has been the front brake. It's the brembo dual disc setup, with a 15" master, and the rubber-distribution...
  2. T

1984 R65 Brembo Brake Identification (36mm bore?)

So on my '84 R65 - I would like to rebuild my front brake caliper & master cylinder, as the front brake has always felt weak to me. Right now, I'm trying to identify my front calipers. I have a single Brembo caliper on my bike, mounted on the left as shown in the picture. Looking at the back...
  3. D

K1200RS brakes - gone

after a tiny fall, my brakes started to have problems . . Same ol ABS issues as most. Faults on dash, etc. But worked. Flushed ABS system and lines, and it worked to get rid of faults, to my shock. Went for a quick ride and all was well. Put it all back together and then battery died...
  4. R

Master Cylinder Rebuilding

Greetings all I have recently purchased a 1983 BMW R100RS. The bike looks very nice, but suffers from neglect. My short list of to do items are getting the engine to run better, bypassing the Pulse Air system and getting the brakes to work. I have two sets of questions for the group. I have...
  5. hamboyjohn

2013 R1200RT Rear brake inconsistent pedal feel

I picked up my 2013 R1200RT last summer with 6400 miles on it. I just turned over 12k, so I'm working on it :) Since I got it, the rear brake pedal hasn't felt consistent. The front brakes feel perfect - just the rear feels a little soft sometimes and sometimes not. The rear pedal never goes...
  6. K

2004 R1150R ABS III gone... options?

I have a nice 2004 R1150R with 8000 miles on it... It is not my primary bike as I live in Vermont and go on gravel a lot with my F650GS. The iABS (ABS III) I am told needs to be replace and rebuilds are not available in that style. Not comfortable buying used but would consider it as I was...
  7. T

2015 R1200GSA ABS Problem

Discovered I am having an issue with my ABS module. It appears that moisture corrupted my rear brake lines. I have cleared the rear brakes and replaced the rear master cylinder. I am getting an error code on the GS911. I am planning to remove the ABS module and see if flushing it out would help...
  8. B

Stop ride recall on C650GT?

Just an FYI - my 2018 C650GT was at the dealer a few weeks back for a seat hinge repair when I was advised that BMW put out a stop ride alert - a problem with the front brakes of some kind. This meant that the dealers cannot sell any inventory they have and cannot release bikes in the shop until...
  9. R

2003 R1150RT brake saga and a question

This past November, after being away from motorcycling for almost 30 years, I bought a 2003 R1150RT. The bike looks and runs nice and the price was certainly right. The seller owns a vintage cycle shop (sells, repairs, and restores vintage 60's, 70's, and 80's bikes, mostly Kawasaki). Turns out...
  10. S

Pulsating....

....in front brake especially under 10 MPH. I assume this means I need a new rotor. Could this be caused by anything else besides warped rotor? Thanks, Terry
  11. H

Replacement Rotors ?

I am in need of new rotors for my 2009 K1300 GT. The existing ones pulsate and have been checked and are out of spec. Do any of you have a recommendation for what brand of rotor to get as a replacement ? and then pads as well.
  12. J

Just Purchased - 1979 R100T /7 with intermittent brakes and other strange issues...

Hey Forum, This is my first bmw bike and I'm really excited to start riding it and being a part of the forum! I just bought it over the weekend and rode it around town for the first time - there are some things that dont think are correct and wanted to get some ideas on where to start. The...
  13. OfficerImpersonator

Brake fluid replacement schedule

I've always thought it was conventional wisdom to replace a vehicle's brake fluid every two years, or earlier if there is suspicion that moisture might have entered the closed hydraulic system. In a forum for Nissan LEAF owners to which I belong, several tight-wad owners are proclaiming that...
  14. J

2002 R1150RT Rear Master Cylinder?

I just purchased a 2002 R1150RT (16,500 miles on it) and decided to address what I saw as the major issues right off the bat. I also wanted to reset the maintenance schedule as the previous owner wasn't volunteering much information. My issue arose after replacing the brake lines...
  15. S

87 K75S Best or easiest way to replace front rotors and pads.

Got my new rotors and pads from ebc yesterday. Read manual, was surprised to see that you shouldn't re-use the self locking nuts to the rotor mounting bolts. Did a long search full of NLA's, superceded bys, etc and found some new ones from a dealer here in the usa.. waiting till they arrive...
  16. BrickFlyer

06 R1200GS intermittent ABS failure

My 06 GS runs great overall, but I have had 2 incidents in the last year when the ABS warning light continued flashing after riding off (maybe 200 yards) and I found myself with only reserve braking power. The first time it happened I stopped the bike, turned the engine off and back on and then...
  17. A

Time for brake caliper overhaul/rebuild? ('04 R1150R)

Hello all! Figured I'd check my pads before flushing my fluids, and noticed that the inside pads are worn slightly more (maybe 1mm) more than the outboard pads on both front brakes. Outside pads are at about 4mm and inside pads are at about 3mm. I've had no braking problems, but do...
  18. J

2004 R1200 CL ABS brake help

All right I just got my new clutch installed and the whole rear frame remounted. I have now reached a road block that I cannot figure out. The ABS system has a main module under the tank for the front and rear brakes. The book says to take it to a dealer to have the system checked my problem...
  19. espressoforyou

Need Help. How do I disable the servos on 05 GS

I am getting ready to take a trip and I need to disable the servos on my 2005 r1200GS. I might have a bad wiring harness but do not have the money to replace it or the time to search for damaged wires before the trip. My servos and ABS do not work most of the time but sometimes when going slow...
  20. espressoforyou

2005 1200GS with electrical problem with controls on handle bar

I need help with an electrical problem. All the controls on the handle bar have stopped working. The following controls have stopped working: Blinkers, trip meter control button, horn, heated hand grips, flashers, the ABS warning light is on, and the ABS servos work intermittently. Also...
Back