• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

valve adjustment

1. B

Valve adjustments--why?

Hi everyone, Considering the fact that there are no more car engines--including the ones made by BMW--of any configuration that I can think of that require a valve adjustment as part of their routine service, why is it that our motorcycle engines still have this requirement? I ask this because...
  2. S

R75/6 valve click (not what you think!)

Hi, I'm midway through resealing the heads on my '74 R75/6. Got the right cylinder reassembled and noticed an odd noise while I was rotating the engine to set the valves. Hopefully you can see/hear it in this video. Essentially, it seems there is a click when the intake valve begins to open. My...
  3. M

2006 F650gs valve ajustment questions and advice on shim ordering.

Good day, My 2006 F650gs Dakar has 22+k on it and I am currently doing all the reccomened 24K maintenance a bit ahead of schedule since I have the pandemic-induced free time. The valves were adjusted at 12K soon after I bought the cycle. I would like to do the current adjustment myself but it...
  4. C

Valve issue help (video)

Valve issue help (video) UPDATE Hi guys, I took my R90/6 out for about 60mi this morning for the first time in a month or so and it ran/sounded great. When I got back home, I had it idling in the garage and heard a loud SNAP and then clank clank clank clank, as the engine continued to run for...
  5. _RockZ_

2013 r1200 rt does not maintain constant acceleration

In every gear when I twist the throttle to increase speed It intermittently speeds up I have attached the GS 911 to it and it reads no codes I have rode it constantly and every other day I fill it with good fuel It has 31,000 miles on it The issue is more prevalent at fourth gear fifth gear...
  6. C

Dealer Service Pricing R1100S Valve Adjust

Good Morning After struggling to find a reliable, reputable service shop for my R1100S in the greater Cincinnati area, I headed off for Louisville, KY. Harley dealer who claims to be a BMW dealer as well. I asked to have them adjust the valves and synch the throttle bodies and got an estimate...
  7. B

Valve Shims for my 2015 RT

My buddy has a 2015 R1200RT and doing his 12000 mile check with 13,888 miles on it he found one exhaust valve at 45 and one intake at 10. So where is a good place to get shims and as long as the intake is 10 should he give it a little more clearance? Is being in the middle range the best to have...
  8. F

Valve adjustment, then ticking — '00 R1100RS

Did my own valve adjustment a few weeks prior to a long trip (Lake Michigan Circle Tour), and next day took it for a long (320 mile) ride for a shakedown. As I returned home, did 20–30 minutes at 90 — just keeping up with traffic. Once off the highway and taking the "normal" streets home...
  9. W

feeler gauges for valve settings

Hi: I have 2009 RT and am getting together the tools to adjust my valve and was wonder where to get the proper feeler gauges for exhaust and intake valves, is it something from BMW or can it be purchased at Auto parts.Thanks Woody
  10. DOUGLASRLAIRD

2013 r1200gs/w surging

I have 14,000+ miles on my bike. It's had a surge problem in all gears between 30/42mph. The local shop can't figure it out and Motorrad claims they haven't heard of such a problem. I personally know of ten bikes with the same problem. Still waiting for BMW to admit there is a problem and then...
  11. Spinakr

2005, R1200RT, Valve noise?

Current Mileage, 28,598 Several months ago I performed the Valve Adjustment as described in the HEXHEAD Tech section. Used .30mm gauges for exhaust and .15mm gauge for the intakes. All went well and I double checked my work. Ever since, I have noticed a pronounced tick from the left cylinder...
  12. Grover

Valve job past the 6k mark??

I have passed my 6000 mile valve adjustment by 400 miles. I did get to the oil though. However, I won't be able to do the valve and tbs before I ride to Heber, AZ. About 300 miles to get there, 300 return, plus whatever riding I do there. Now, I have seen that some heavy touring riders don't...
  13. M

valve noise?

Please excuse my noobness. This is my first airhead (1979 r100rs) and I intend on doing most of the work on it myself. I want to know how much clickety-clackety is "normal" for my bike. I have heard you set the valves where they go and let the noise be what it is. I adjusted the valves. The...
  14. donkey doctor

Valve clearances

Hello; I recently set the valves according to Haynes .008 exhaust and .004 for intake. I noticed that both cylinders were noticably noisier, there was no other symptoms, and to be fair, it was quiet farther up the revs . I thought my engine was unusually quiet, but . . . What do you guys...
Back