• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

gas cap

1. W

Disable the auto-lock on a Gas Cap

Anyone know how to disable the auto lock on a Gas Cap (I have a 2021 R1250RT)
  2. M

Stuck / Broken R65 Gas Cap

The gas cap on my 1981 R65 just spins when you turn it - it wasn't locked and using the key doesn't fix the problem. Anyone have any experience with this problem or bright ideas how to solve? My next step is to drain the tank, refill with water and drill out the cap. Any experience or ideas...
  3. B

Airhead gas tank will not unlock correctly. Locking mechanism broken in Cap,

Since running out of gas through an inability to fill the tank is not a serious option, does anyone have any experience of this error in a forty -year old Beemer airhead, and have any suggestions of things to try to remove the old cap and replace, or alternatively to fix this error?
  4. P

I Broke My "87 K100RT Today. Suggestions?

Thought that today would be time to change the washers and gaskets on my '87 K100RT's gas cap. After removing and replacing washers and gaskets, I reassembled the gas cap components, turned the key to test the locking mechanism before attaching it to the gas tank. Once that was accomplished, I...
  5. M

85 K100 RT Stuck Fuel Cap

Hi All, I'm looking for tips, tricks and insight into how to convince the fuel cap on my 85 K100 RT to open. I had no trouble with it a few days ago, so there is no history of it sticking or being difficult to open. Turning the key counter-clockwise has resistance from the spring and will...
  6. W

2009 R1200GSA Filler Cap Problem

So I replaced the CNC gas cap on my GS with a used OEM filler cap, because the CNC let out a constant smell of gas. I re-keyed the cylinder lock to match my key and everything went back together easily..... too easily apparently. Everything works perfect except the lid that covers the key...
  7. D

Gas cap won't close

Problem solved!! Gas cap won't close PROBLEM SOLVED I have a 15 GS LC with keyless ignition. Filled the tank today and gas cap won't click shut. Key was close by, tried turning power back on and off, starting engine, going for a short ride. Still won't shut. Called dealer but they have not...
  8. J

Gas Smell on R 1200 GS WC 2013

I traded in my 2003 K 1200 gt that I put over 70k on for a R 1200 GS WC - 2013 on Jan 3rd of this year. I've put about 1,500 miles on the bike - it had 5,500 on it when I purchased. I have enjoyed the bike - light and powerful but......there is a gas smell. Can't connect it with anything. I...
  9. R

Non-sealing gas cap

My '89 R100GS has always had a very slight smell of gas around it. After a lot of checking, I have determined that the gas cap is not sealing well. The locking mechanism does not work well. Is there a gasket or something that needs to be replaced?
  10. 30064

Gas Cap Venting

All, I wanted to run something by all of you. I'm having problems with fuel flow at transition from main tank to reserve, especially at speed, to the extent I will have to pull over and "vent" the tank by removing the cap. Last weekend I flushed the tank and in doing so performed a flow-test...
Back