• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Laminar Lip for GT

jiminsf

Looks like they're making an extension windshield lip for the GT (see http://www.laminarlip.com/c650gt.php) - is the person who helped them model this here? Or anyone else who's tried it? The GT screen is the best I've ever had by far but am still curious about something slightly taller and even quieter & less buffeting.

Jim,
In the coming months think we're gonna see a lot add on parts for the scooter, my hope is the GS911 folks will adapt their code reader to it
Happy holidays

Looks like they're making an extension windshield lip for the GT (see http://www.laminarlip.com/c650gt.php) - is the person who helped them model this here? Or anyone else who's tried it? The GT screen is the best I've ever had by far but am still curious about something slightly taller and even quieter & less buffeting.

I have the Laminar Lip on my C650GT and it works just great. A lot cheaper than a new windshield. If your still curious about something slightly taller and even quieter & less buffeting, the Lip is a great buy, it just works like a taller windshield.

IBKING

I have the Laminar Lip on my C650GT and it works just great. A lot cheaper than a new windshield. If your still curious about something slightly taller and even quieter & less buffeting, the Lip is a great buy, it just works like a taller windshield.

IBKING

Is yours the one they photographed? Any more pics? I would love to see it from a few angles. And it sounds like it reduced noise and buffeting even further for you? Do you tend to leave your screen in one position and/or does the effect change or become more pronounced in one position than another? Any info you care to share would be much appreciated.

Yes this is my bike I sent to Laminar Lip and I put Lip's on all my bikes even on my big Victory Vision. What the Lip does is move the air faster over the windshield so you can put the windshield lower and the air will still move over your helmet. Move your higher and your passenger will benefit. I live close to LL so I did have the benefit to try it before I buy it. I recommend it.

IBKING

No quack - it probably needs more secure attachment!

Thanks, but a little too late! Said attachment departed my scooter at 50 mph last evening as i was crossing the intracostal bridge! Nice for the 2 days it lasted. but i will pass along your advice - for this windshield appurtenance one will likely have to drill holes to keeps its company!

Thanks, but a little too late! Said attachment departed my scooter at 50 mph last evening as i was crossing the intracostal bridge! Nice for the 2 days it lasted. but i will pass along your advice - for this windshield appurtenance one will likely have to drill holes to keeps its company!

Ouch! Hopefully they are going to replace it for you?

to ibking: so you are satisfied with the adhesive - no problems? Read that if one has a heavy foot ( that's me ) it could come loose!

I'm very happy with the Lip, but I will tell you this, BMW puts some kind of coating the there windshield and you must clean (I used alcohol) the area where your going to stick the Lip to. I had to clean it about three times before I was happy with the adhesive. I have hit top speed or rev limiter many times in Death Valley and no problems with any part of the Lip coming off. If you clean your windshield very good, The Laminar Lip will not fly off.

IBKING

I'm very happy with the Lip, but I will tell you this, BMW puts some kind of coating the there windshield and you must clean (I used alcohol) the area where your going to stick the Lip to. I had to clean it about three times before I was happy with the adhesive. I have hit top speed or rev limiter many times in Death Valley and no problems with any part of the Lip coming off. If you clean your windshield very good, The Laminar Lip will not fly off.

IBKING

dang it! i only cleaned windshield with alcohol once!

IBKING

Agreed! I installed mine Saturday and took a 200-mile trip yesterday and it was a major difference. While not perfect it was a dramatic improvement and made the ride much more tolerable. My only (very minor) complaint is that it would be nice if the LL plexiglass matched that of the BMW but that's pretty minor.

How clear is it? My big concern with this is that I currently look through the top 2" of the windshield when it's all the way up, and adding a second layer of plastic might reduce visibility. Thoughts/experiences with this?

How clear is it? My big concern with this is that I currently look through the top 2" of the windshield when it's all the way up, and adding a second layer of plastic might reduce visibility. Thoughts/experiences with this?

it is at eye level - for the week i had it i was not sure i would ever get used to it or like it enough - though it did as advertised. Another slight design error - just 3 more inches on an adjustable windshield would have been easy

It's very clear but I have it positioned so my eye level is right at the top of it, even with the windscreen fully extended (and assuming I'm sitting fully upright). Looking through it or even both pieces of plexi is do'able but I wouldn't do it for an extended period of time.

I have found the best part about the LL is that you can set the windshield below eye level and still have still air.

Jim,
, my hope is the GS911 folks will adapt their code reader to it
Happy holidays

I had emailed the folks that make the GS 911 a couple of months ago and the had just got there C600 scooter and we're starting the process. They did not give me a date but they did say it would get done.

Back