• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Michelin Pilot Road II vs III

This is starting to sound like an oil thread.

We're lucky that there are many good options for tires out there. Pilot Road 3s are the best I've ridden on, but YMMV. PR2s would be a solid second in my book.

The only tires I've ridden on in the past 5 years that I didn't like were Z6s (uneven wear by 6K and the rear slipped a few times under power in the wet), although I know lots of people who love them.

Thanks for the excellent information. I was going to post a similar thread soon because my PR2s will likely be due for replacement after a trip to MI this weekend and I was wondering if I should upgrade to PR3s. Sounds like "yes."

A word about "truth" in advertising: I took a psychology course in college that touched on advertising language. Notice how pain-killer commercials frequently say, "No other brand lasts longer!!" According to the TA that's because they all last the same amount of time. No other brands lasts less long either. Maybe this is similar to the "Unbeatable tread life" Michelin mentions? In any case, I've been thrilled with the mileage on my PR2s (12k so far) vs my Z6s (half that) and I'm glad to hear that I may get even more with the PR3s. :)

I have 4000 miles on my set of RP-3's (04-R-1150-RT) and they are showing little wear. Hit some pretty heavy rain up by Thunder Bay on my way to the RA Rally and they seemed to work pretty good. Haven't had much chance to test them on the twisties yet, but I'm betting that they will be at least as good as my PR-2's. :thumb

I could give you some examples that would make you wonder how that person still works for the company.

The fact that they 'have the job' is not an indicator they have any knowledge of the product....:dunno

If that is true, it doesn't speak well for Michelin. I personally know a manufacturers rep. The amount of info that he has leaves me amazed. I guess I assumed all reps were that way.

This is starting to sound like an oil thread.

We're lucky that there are many good options for tires out there. Pilot Road 3s are the best I've ridden on, but YMMV. PR2s would be a solid second in my book.

The only tires I've ridden on in the past 5 years that I didn't like were Z6s (uneven wear by 6K and the rear slipped a few times under power in the wet), although I know lots of people who love them.

Please, tell me of this oil thread you speak of....I need to know more.

It's not just Michelin. Ever called a tech support line? At the lowest level, those are factory reps. Every company has their losers and dead weight they need to remove.

First problem: English is a second language on a lot of tech support lines now. Neither side of the conversation is communicating well.
Second problem: Reading a script and not listening to the caller. Better conversations with a brick or my dogs.
Third problem: Probably know nothing about the product unless the computer they are using gets hits on specific search terms in your question then goes back to the second problem.

:banghead

FWIW, I absolutely love my PR3's. "B" tire on the rear They have much better wear than the PR2's, despite the "Rep" saying nothing is different other than the sipes. I raise the BS Flag on that one . :thumb

Sorry, oil threads aren't scheduled until winter.

Tire threads are summer threads.....:thumb

Steve, technically a tire thread is an oil thread. Unless, maybe, we are talking about synthetic tires... :hide

Steve, technically a tire thread is an oil thread. Unless, maybe, we are talking about synthetic tires... :hide

Doug, Doug, Doug.... An oil thread can migrate to a tire thread but I don't see any way a tire thread can revert to an oil thread - well, maybe if we had a Star Trek warp drive....:thumb

I love it when the "Dead Threads" [albeit without Jerry G.] are resurrected.

Words typed years ago like "genuflecting" in a tire thread are so gratifying....

me-today.jpg

BTW, if anyone is interested, that set of PR3s I mounted in Tucson went 13,722 miles. They were both changed because the rear was almost showing cord. The front could have easily gone "more". How much more is unknown but it was started to show some cupping but I couldn't feel anything from it. They were changed out back in Tucson, after a hard run across to Springerville, AZ from Clovis, NM, then south on 191 to enjoy one of the southwests finest motorcycling roads on the way to Tucson.

My confidence in these tires to the very end of their life is still as stated in 2011.

Buy them.
Ride them.
Enjoy them.

OR

Don't.

They work for me.

</genuflecting>

+1. We've run PR3s on my wife's RT and now on her 2012 1200R. She routinely gets 10-12k miles out of a set. We like them enough that I also just mounted them on my GS (I use it as more of a sport tourer than an off-roader). Great tires. Good stick, long life and excellent in the rain, which is important here in subtropical Flatistan. Highly recommended...

Running light 40/40 and heavy 40/42. Always one up. I weigh 160. However, aux fuel cell on passenger seat area lugging 4+ gal.

6000 miles on my PR3's so far k1600, very happy with them. Should get another 3000-4000 out of them
Run recommended 42/42 pressure
Ordered the B rear tire, no telling when it will come in, want to have it, when needed

Back