• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fall setting sun angles

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member

That time of the year when the sun starts it's low on the horizon way too early in the evening setting arc...or whatever the scientific term/explanation is. End result is a setting sun directly in front of us on one of our favorite runs to the house.

I rode into the next town to meet Helen at 6PM this evening for a ride home together. The sun was in our eyes the majority of the trip home,especially the curves on a narrow state road. We chuckled when we got home and both said that was messed up at every curve to the SW. In the heart of Summer,the sun is not at that angle at sunset .
Typically we are home by dusk due to the deer anyways but this was just another sign of the changing seasons and the upcoming time change. Next week it will be dark at the same hour.:cry

I feel the same and also use this to mark the seasons. Putting in my riding pants liner means winter, cleaning bugs off my face shield means spring and riding earlier and earlier in the day to beat the heat means summer.

The other "problem" with this time of year, is what used to be a shaded route, even with a setting sun, is now bare trees so there's no shading from the setting sun. I find on some roads with bare trees and a bright, low sun, the strobe-like pattern of alternating light and shade from the tree branches makes it very hard to concentrate on the road...and look out for deer. Sunglasses only help a little.

The closest I've ever come to hitting a vehicle at highway speeds was caused by the driver being blinded by the sun. It was sunset, and I was coming down a slight rise from the West. He was pulling out from the right; turning West. After the incident, I realized how dangerous it can be when riding with the sun behind me.

Tom

Have also noticed the difference in road dynamics after the leaves start thinning. A few tree tunnel roads look so different when the sun breaks thru.
A road like the Dragon is totally different Spring to Fall in the afternoon.

I used to avoid this time of year in the evening on my bicycle rides when I had the sun to my right front quarter...nobody sees you coming up behind.

Have also noticed the difference in road dynamics after the leaves start thinning. A few tree tunnel roads look so different when the sun breaks thru.
A road like the Dragon is totally different Spring to Fall in the afternoon.

I used to avoid this time of year in the evening on my bicycle rides when I had the sun to my right front quarter...nobody sees you coming up behind.
Throw in the leaves on the road, mud and corn stalks from the farmers harvesting, nuts and bolts from worn out trailers hauling fire wood and you have to keep very alert.
:nod

Tape on Visor. . .

I'm surprised at how relatively few people put (any kind) of tape on the top of their visor. No need to buy a task-specific "shade," as vinyl tape works just fine, and lasts for years.

Much easier to look in the direction of the sun without cranking your chin down onto your chest.

Unfortunately, this trick doesn't help with blind and distracted cage drivers, leaves on the road, or getting a bee inside yer bonnet.

Walking Eagle

I'm surprised at how relatively few people put (any kind) of tape on the top of their visor.

the "peak" on the Arai XD helmets is a great help in this situation. just tilt your head down just a tad and your eyes are shaded.

2009_Arai_XD_3_Helmet_Frost_Silver_zoom.jpg

Exactly why I've had an Arai XD for the last few years. Initially some concern about the wind affect at high speeds, but turned out to NOT be an issue. My XD is reaching it's service limit, so will be replaced with....another XD.

Cheers! :thumb

Exactly why I've had an Arai XD for the last few years. Initially some concern about the wind affect at high speeds, but turned out to NOT be an issue. My XD is reaching it's service limit, so will be replaced with....another XD.

the XD3's peak has nice wind ports to make wind effects even more of a non-issue. another nice improvement is the ability to close the side vents, but it's still a little drafty around the bottom in cold weather.

Arai, taped too:)

My Arai XD beak I like, but never blocked enough sun, so tape on the shield is a must for all my beaked helmets. My new ICON Variant, beaked too, has just been taped, a week old:). Electrcal tape, bikers friend:). Arai no longer makes 3X size interior pads(7mm) for their helmets, so I went shopping. Love my new Icon Variant, equally comfy to my now standby AraiXD. No pics yet, easy to find via Google:(. Randy

I had a mylar strip on the inside of the helmet I usually wear. I looked up during a ride last week and laughed as to why it was an issue that particular ride before the time change.I guess it fell off when I was in the all day rain across Arkansas recently.
Replaced it with a Fog City brand Saturday and yesterdays sunset ride was much more enjoyable...even though it was an hour earlier now:banghead
I have used electricians or duct tape before, but I like to be able to see through the film and leaving the helmet out in the TX heat in August usually makes a sticky mess out of the electricians tape.
Had a helmet with the beak visor on it a few years ago, but one high speed head check removed the beak quickly:D

Couple of year old BUMP

Man,
It's that time of year again for those currently riding...or driving:wave

Just back in from a late start sunny day ride on several two-lanes in the hills.
That pesky sun, we haven't seen it in a week, was LOW on the horizon and with the leaves thinned makes it even more fun on twisty familiar roads...which are not as familiar or predictable with Winter sun angles.
I altered my routes to avoid the school bus routes where I knew the sun was straight on.... traffic is always light until a school bus starts the flashing STOP! sign and a vehicle come roaring up behind.

Having the sun blast you thru the trees on your peripheral vision flank mid afternoon just isn't right:violin I called it a day...evening and came on home.
How many days before we start GAINING daylight again? :laugh

Just rub it in :(

I'm not feeling a lot of love or compassion for us Canucks. Try -19C this morning and dawn broke about 8:45 AM and I needed my headlights at 4:45 PM. But, on the bright side, you folks that live in the land of sun and warmth don't know the brisk, invigorating feeling of bone chilling cold. It does make you stronger and feel alive, really alive.

And I'll bet not one of you living in the warmth can truly say that they are really impressed how much one's manhood can turtle back into the body.

I'm not feeling a lot of love or compassion for us Canucks. Try -19C this morning and dawn broke about 8:45 AM and I needed my headlights at 4:45 PM. But, on the bright side, you folks that live in the land of sun and warmth don't know the brisk, invigorating feeling of bone chilling cold. It does make you stronger and feel alive, really alive.

And I'll bet not one of you living in the warmth can truly say that they are really impressed how much one's manhood can turtle back into the body.

LOL Too funny!

Love your posts Yoda! All true of course - and we are lucky enough to have poor(er) sun angles all year round as well. Pretty much compulsory to have tape, tint, or some sun stopping band on the upper shield at our latitudes. Shout out to our Alaskan friends who know this too well.

Love your posts Yoda! All true of course - and we are lucky enough to have poor(er) sun angles all year round as well. Pretty much compulsory to have tape, tint, or some sun stopping band on the upper shield at our latitudes. Shout out to our Alaskan friends who know this too well.

Agree on all points...and sorry Yoda on not respecting my Chilly Willy neighbors ...I jumped in one of your Canadian waterways last summer...I GET IT:eek
I forget the sun is at a diff angle up yonder year round.

The strip works....just dislike needing it in early afternoon. It was cloudier today...
GARNER%20ST%20PK%20DEC09%202014%20%2879%29-L.jpg

Last edited:
Back