• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

R80rt

libwwv

What was the first year a rear disc brake was available on this RT?
Was it available on the 800?

Thanks
Will

Looking at the fiche, there were no R80s with rear disc, if there were I would be adding it as I did for the dual front brakes. I do not think there would be an easy way to add rear disc brakes, if someone know please let me know as well.

You could add a rear disc brake to an R80 as long as the mie is pre-monolever. Most people have found that the rear disc doesn't work as well as the drum.

You could add a rear disc brake to an R80 as long as the mie is pre-monolever. Most people have found that the rear disc doesn't work as well as the drum.

I will second that from personal experience. The disc is too touchy, too easy to lock up in a panic.

as far as I know it was not available on an r80rt. I have never seen one on an r80, nor have I seen one looking up parts for R80's.I believe It was only available on the R100's
however I have seen calipers and brackets listed on fleabay to fit the R80rt's
but I would not trust that
Ive been wrong before, and will be again

Nope

I have an R80RT -1983 with twin front disks and drum back. I have never seen an R80RT with rear disk. I can slide the rear easily with my drum in situations that are not panicked and the front will not slide with out a death grip. I know you didn't ask but I wouldn't do it.

No disc in EURO spec

I own a 86 R80 Euro Spec, I purchased here in Germany and only the 3rd owner. I have ridden with others who had 90's R80s and still no rear disc, As said in my first post, look at the fiche, no rear disc on R80s.

Looking at the fiche, there were no R80s with rear disc, if there were I would be adding it as I did for the dual front brakes. I do not think there would be an easy way to add rear disc brakes, if someone know please let me know as well.

Well, all the R100 parts will bolt right on. But, this means

• new rear wheel
  • add a rear master cylinder and whatever linkage from the pedal to the master cylinder.
  • add the carrier plate for the caliper (with torque arm) as well as the caliper and of course hose to master cylinder
  • Plug the hole for brake actuater in rear drive as well as remove all brake shoe mounting parts--it might be easier to just substitute a complete R100 rear drive, but you won't find one with the same gear ratio as your R80

It's quite obvious this is almost completely impractical and I'd advise lots of R100 owners with rear disc brake wish they had a rear drum brake instead. All there really is is the "psychological" feeling you have a more modern system when you have the disc. In reality you have a downgrade as maintenance is severely compromised and the disc works absolutely ZERO better than the drum.

Back