• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

planning a trip 2 Nova Scotia> Niagra Falls

got it Bob.
thanks. that's the kind of stuff i typically seek out, the little places that make up the character of a place, a spot the average person passing thru might not find.

If coming from Halifax direction: "Going south on route 103 take exit 10 and then #3 highway ( one of those backroads). Visit Mahone Bay and then onward into Lunenburg (stop here for a while and walk around and stay if you can!). Now, just out of Lunenburg on #3 take a left on #332 (Lighthouse Route) Soon you'll be in East Lahave. There's a little cable ferry that crosses the Lahave River. Get off the ferry and turn left and the bakery will be there on the riverside."

However, if coming from Yarmouth direction on the 103, take route 331 (also part of Lighthouse Route) and it follows the shore up to that bakery and ferry in East Lahave (they pronounce it with a long a sound not a soft a) That turn onto 331 is 10 miles past the turnoff to Liverpool. Look for it on the right. Follow 331 (lots to see on this path) for 22 miles and the bakery and then ferry will be on your right (river side). Take ferry across the Lahave River and reverse my original post.

Also a great little historic pub in Chester about half way between Halifax and the bakery. :eat:drink - Bob

Thanks bro.
we'll be coming out of the south, sticking to the 3 and 331, as close to the coast as we can, avoiding the bigger roads all the way. Planning to stay in Lunenburg, maybe for a couple days (?)- thinking it'll be a good place to hang even for exploring Halifax and the surrounding area, maybe even the west side of the peninsula- before moving up to Cape Breton Island & the Cabot Trail...

the distances don't seem too vast. there's a great distance calculator on the
Nova Scotia.com site which is going to invaluable for us.

Last edited:
Get Harold and Wendy's book http://www.motorcycletourguidens.com/ It is the original and truly invaluable resource for places in Nova Scotia done at a wee bit slower pace. Lots of ads in it but I guess they have to support a good thing somehow. BTW, Nova Scotia mainland is a peninsula and Cape Breton Island, while part of Nova Scotia, is an island. - Bob

Well - there is Le Ch?óteau Frontenac.. (been staying there on and off for about 40 years.. it was a LOT cheaper 40 years ago..) http://www.fairmont.com/frontenac

Bikes aren't allowed in the old city.. but you should be able to find parking not too far from the gates.

FWIW - the first time we stayed in the Frontenac - we first had a room for $17/night. It was up in very top of the tower, and we found out about the early AM 21 gun salute for some battleship entering the city.. so we moved down a few floors and paid $14/night. Things have gone up just a bit since then..

Gotta get back there soon - hmmm.... always wanted to do the winter festival.. (January-February..)

You've got us beat. Forty years ago the Frontenac cost my wife and I $19 a night, with an additional $5.00 per night for valet parking.

Bikes are permitted in the old city IF you have an hotel reservation. Did that last fall.

My bad, Bob. right you are. :deal

i sent off for an M/C guide book off the main tourism website for Nova Scotia. bottom left on this page:

https://www.novascotia.com/en/home/planyourtrip/travel_guides/default.aspx

another person off ADVrider is sending me a NS motorcycle tour guide book as well, so perhaps one of the two will be the one you speak of? if not i'll pick one up... i may wait until the 2012 version hits, tho.

roads won't change much but some of the events will so get the 2012 when you can. Usually at the tourist centers as you come into the Province. Better to get it early though. Also, it just may happen that a ferry between Portland and Yarmouth might appear. Trouble is that you are then into a forced choice because two shore roads ( ie Digby and Annapolis Valley vs South Shore and Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, Chester and...... the Lahave Bakery....... ah... take an extra three days and do it all :clap). Maybe we can meet up whilst upon yer journey? - Bob

Bob,

i think from Lunenburg, we can spread out to Halifax and catch that east side with the Annapolis valley and all that? in a day trip or two? i am certain we'll want to do a whale watching trip in thereat some point. another member of this forum has sent me a couple PMs/emails with some good info, including an outfit who does whale watching tours on a mid sized boat.

it looks like we will spend several days in the area - Between the peninsula and then Cape Breton Island- before more or less
dead-heading it over to Old Quebec City. seems we are thinking it'll be sometime in June right now. i'l try to remember to PM you before we leave and give you my number, email, etc.

with any luck we can milk this thread until then! :bar

it looks like we will spend several days in the area - Between the peninsula and then Cape Breton Island- before more or less
dead-heading it over to Old Quebec City. seems we are thinking it'll be sometime in June right now. i'l try to remember to PM you before we leave and give you my number, email, etc.

with any luck we can milk this thread until then! :bar

It might three, maybe two days, instead of one getting to Quebec City if you went around the Gaspe Bay Peninsula, but being so close it'd be a shame to miss such a scenic ride.

Hi Paul

i figure two rock solid days over to Quebec. think we'll cross the St Lawrence at Matane and ride down the north side of the river. unfortunately there's a time constraint, and we just can't do it all. :cry
we're *settling for* several days in Nova Scotia, and a couple nights in Old Quebec City. Missing the Gaspe Peninsula will give us a reason to come back up sometime!

thanks for the heads up tho. i appreciate your input. :thumb

Tom

Just a thought- i know we'll be in French-speaking areas, through Ontario, but not so certain about Nova Scotia. I have a French Phrasebook i plan to bring, but have no real skills in French.

Any tips about the use of -or expectancy of the use of- French, would be appreciated.

I have been to many French speaking parts of Canada on my bike trips over the last two years. I know Bonjour and Poutine and that is it for my French. It is not an issue except they will address you in French first as they will assume it is your language. If you really get off the beaten path and we did you may have a harder time ordering lunch but you will be ok. I sort of like the fact I have no idea how to speak the language as it makes the trip a bigger adventure. Don't worry and trust me you will be fine. As far as interstates they are not bad there like ours. In New Brunswick it is like riding a country road due to lack of traffic. When it comes to Toronto or Montreal it is a freaking nightmare. Whatever roads you choose in New Brunswick, PEI or Nova Scotia will be fine. In some parts of Canada the only way to get somewhere is on the big slabs. I love riding in Canada. The roads are in great shape and have no traffic unless you hit the two big Cities I mentioned. Ottawa and Quebec City are a breeze on the big slabs.

Do plan to spend lots of time in NS and a couple of days in Quebec. I always take HwY 7 from Ottawa to Hamilton instead of the 401. If you are going to take that route, let me know and I'll route you from Peterborough to the 407--the most expensive toll road in the world, but it does get you around Toronto. Plus the toll cameras often have trouble getting the license plate on a fully loaded bike (stay to the side of the road but not on the shoulder (too much garbage--the toll is cheaper than new tires) and go fairly quickly past the cameras. If I'm home when you are coming through, you are welcome to stay at my place near Hamilton. I know the good road from Hamilton to Niagara Falls and can show you around the Falls as I was born there.

Holly

Do plan to spend lots of time in NS and a couple of days in Quebec. I always take HwY 7 from Ottawa to Hamilton instead of the 401. If you are going to take that route, let me know and I'll route you from Peterborough to the 407--the most expensive toll road in the world, but it does get you around Toronto. Plus the toll cameras often have trouble getting the license plate on a fully loaded bike (stay to the side of the road but not on the shoulder (too much garbage--the toll is cheaper than new tires) and go fairly quickly past the cameras. If I'm home when you are coming through, you are welcome to stay at my place near Hamilton. I know the good road from Hamilton to Niagara Falls and can show you around the Falls as I was born there.

Holly

Holly,
thanks! i appreciate that info, and your gracious offer. unfortunately (depending on how you view it) we are going to skip going to Niagra Falls this time out. we have a time constraint, and have decided that Niagra Falls/Toronto should just be another whole trip... the area is only about 6 or so hours from home, and i always wanted to go to Toronto for a few days anyway.

instead we are going to just make Nova Scotia our primary focus, then definitely spend a couple nights in the Old City of Quebec. if you know anything about Old Quebec, that information would be most helpful.

Cheers, and thanks again!
Have a great day.

Tom

Drawing Near-er

The "plan" is coming together for our trip. So far we are booked into hotels in

Bar Harbor, ME - Highbrook Motel
Saint John, NB - Chipman Hill Suites
Lunenburg, NS - Smuggler's Cove Inn

Couple questions so far:

turns out there are only TWO ferries from Saint John to Digby- 12:00 noon & 14:00 (2:00 PM). Is it worth the wait or should we go around by land onto the peninsula? We have the Lunenburg hotel booked for the night after Saint John. We thought we'd take the ferry and ride the south coast around to Lunenburg making it a full day, but now, not so sure.

We are thinking we'll go from Lunenburg where we actually booked three nights
(tho may stay only two) up onto the Island to ride the Cabot Trail. Haven't booked any lodging up there yet- thinking we'll ride and choose a place each evening as we go.
Do-able? or not?

Couple questions so far:

turns out there are only TWO ferries from Saint John to Digby- 12:00 noon & 14:00 (2:00 PM). Is it worth the wait or should we go around by land onto the peninsula? We have the Lunenburg hotel booked for the night after Saint John. We thought we'd take the ferry and ride the south coast around to Lunenburg making it a full day, but now, not so sure.

We are thinking we'll go from Lunenburg where we actually booked three nights
(tho may stay only two) up onto the Island to ride the Cabot Trail. Haven't booked any lodging up there yet- thinking we'll ride and choose a place each evening as we go.
Do-able? or not?

Trip by ferry with Lunenburg destination: three hours by water and 1.5 by land.

Ride Around: 308 miles to Lunenburg. Leave early and arrive in 4-5 hours. You could be there before the ferry sails eh?

stop in Chester for the best pub food in the oldest pub in Canada (maybe): http://www.focslechester.com/

PM for more info if you like. - Bob

Highly recommended, "The Colony" in Hulls Cove (Bar Harbor). Been staying there several times a year for many years. If you rent a "motel room" rather than a cottage, you can park the bike under the overhang and keep it out of the rain/dew.

Great place, decor straight out of 1955, clean, very reasonable, family run, nice people. Was there this past Sunday.

Best breakfast in Bar Harbor is a tossup between 2 Cats and Jordan's Restaurant. JR is more traditional. Both are reasonably priced. I often choose by what time I get up. 2 Cats opens at 7, Jordan's opens at 5.

Tommy

Thanks! too late for the Motel we are booked into the Highbrook, but will definitely look into the restaurants you mention.

Getting closer, we leave this coming Friday 6/8.

Tom

Trip by ferry with Lunenburg destination: three hours by water and 1.5 by land.

Ride Around: 308 miles to Lunenburg. Leave early and arrive in 4-5 hours. You could be there before the ferry sails eh?

stop in Chester for the best pub food in the oldest pub in Canada (maybe): http://www.focslechester.com/

PM for more info if you like. - Bob

Booked on the noon ferry, Monday June 11. Will take our time in Saint John and also over on Nova Scotia, to arrive late in the day in Lunenburg for our hotel at the Smuggler's Cove Inn.

we're Ba-ack!

Got home last night. 3100 miles and lots of smiles later. The trip was fantastic, and I'll post some pix later. Highlights:

Rides & roads:
Cadillac Mountain (Maine)
Kancamagus Highway (New Hampshire)
Cabot Trail
NY rte 14, Geneva to Watkins Glen

Food:
Village Diner (top of Delaware Water Gap rte 209 Milford PA)
Two Cats (Bar Harbor ME)
Britts Pub (Saint John)
Salt Shaker Deli (Lunenburg Nova Scotia)
Lahave Bakery (Lahave, NS)
Matto (Old Quebec)
Toast! (Old Quebec)

Hotels:
Highbrook Motel (Bar Harbor ME)
Maven Gypsy B&B (Cabot Trail)
Motel Au Vieux Fanal (Riviere Du Loup, QC)
Hotel Le Priori (Ole Quebec City)

Places:
New Hampshire
Maine
Halifax
Olde Quebec
Finger Lakes Region (New York State)

Stuff:
L' Epopee de La Moto vintage Moto Museum (St-Jean-Port-Joli, QC)

Beer:
Propeller Ales of Halifax
Their Bitter is by FAR, one of the best beers I've had in a long while.
Certainly THE best ale of the entire trip, tho I did have a nice ale in Saint John, at Britts...
I'll have to study on it to recall what it was, tho...

ALSO:
bought two small bottles (airline size) of the 10 year old Glen Breton scotch at the Glenora Distillery.
We enjoyed them very much. :

Woo Hoo! :dance

Last edited:
Back