• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K 1200 S ESA issue

johncrute

Having an issue with the ESA not wanting to switch between 1 rider, 1 rider with luggage and 2 rider modes. Does anybody have an idea what would cause this?

Having an issue with the ESA not wanting to switch between 1 rider, 1 rider with luggage and 2 rider modes. Does anybody have an idea what would cause this?
The adjustment can only be made when the motorcycle is stationary with the key on. BMW recommends unloading the bike to make the changes.

Could be a pinched wire. Some of the GT's have had an issue with the routing of the wire, which then got pinched/rubbed. Follow the wire from the shock, make sure it doesn't have any wear spots.

What position is it in now?
Mine was stuck in "solo" position, no matter what I tried (I'm assuming you have tried it various ways too and that it's really "stuck" like mine was.
Called the dealer to ask what they recommend, since, get this, a new shock costs $2500, yes twenty five HUNDRED dollars:doh.
They said to bring it in as often if they use the shop computer to do a "reset", which it seems like is actually having the computer "command" the ESA motor to run, that it might free it up. I did that and they did get it to run. Moral is to operate the preload system from time to time, if you (like me) normally don't even use it. And another train of thought is to leave it in the middle position as it might not stick in the middle like it does on solo or max position.
I was lucky, the dealer didn't charge me to do this, I have heard that other dealers have charged a pretty hefty amount just to have their computer talk to the bike's computer. Gave the service tech a Jackson and called it a day.
I have a thread here someplace about this, I will try to link you up.
Gilly

Here is the thread I started, but is at K-Bikes.com, I am there quite a bit as well:
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25639

Back