• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Turn Signal

My turn signal on my 2017 R1200RT stays on to long, anyway to adjust it?

Seems a nearly universal reaction to how it is programmed. I've heard it can be changed, the distance and time factors, by the dealer when they hook it up to their analyzer during service. I was going to have mine changed but made peace with it by doing the following:

1. In turns where there is no chance of side or other traffic THINKING I'm going to turn BEFORE I get to them, I'll turn on the turn signal well before my turn so that it cancels reasonably quick after. These scenarios do exist all over, but not everywhere.
2. I usually turn if off manually, so the automated turn-off I consider primarily a back up in case I forget. And if safe I tend to turn it on earlier than later. In fact, one of my pet peeves is people who turn on their signal after starting the turn! The CYA signal!

My brother boasted his FJR did not have self-cancelling signals because he thought they were unneeded and even not desireable. This was a case of rationalizing a missing feature IMO, happens all the time! I watched him several times on our long trip together last year forget to turn off his signal in some dense traffic areas and that was not good! So at the very least it's useful as a backup for if you forget to turn it off, and again if you time it early enough and if it's safe to do, the automated turn off works fine.

I keep thinking that a sensor for heading added to the function of time and distance could make this work. Let's say we use a compass ( drone style ) or GPS output that would cancel an active signal after sensing a heading change of 40 degrees.

Any Ideas?

Ron

I understand your comment. It does stay on a long time. However, I am used to it now and I signal well before a turn. Many drivers do not do that and will even signal without enough warning just as they enter a turn (not to mention drivers who do not signal at all!). I much prefer drivers to give me a warning well before turning so I can prepare and adjust my speed. I suggest you get used to giving others enough time to prepare for your turning, which the BMW signal allows you to do by not shutting off too quickly. However, it is easy to cancel the signal when you wish.

As noted above, in bikes that do not have canceling signals they can and will confuse other operators occasionally when the signal is not canceled. I prefer a signal to cancel itself, as BMW's do, when I forget to cancel them.

All in all I am happy with BMW's signal timing.

In the Goldwing world they complain about the signals cancelling to early. On my Wing I adjusted to hitting the switch twice for many turns. On my RT I adjusted to cancelling them as needed or turning them on early. Something in between would be perfect but until then I'll just keep riding. 🙂

To me, with several bikes that I ride from time to time, the self-cancel signal is a feature that I do not need. I'm concerned that if I get reliant on it cancelling automatically, when I ride on a different bike I'll forget and leave it on. So, I just cancel it manually. If you believe you will ride other bikes from time to time, why complicate your ride by having to 'remember' which bike you are on and whether you need to cancel or not. What will you do in a high traffic / high stress time? Don't we want to make our 'on bike' control actions 'automatic'?

This isn't much of an issue in an auto as most in the world work the same (kinda - don't include heavy trucks, ag tractors and broken vehicles).

As an MSF instructor, we teach the Basic Students on performing a lane change/head check/turn signal. A demo is always performed before the students ride and I do not want to error letting my 'auto' responses fail to cancel the turn signals on a trainer bike in front of students.

It's a personal decision to rely on it or not. The suggestions have merit. Consider your options and good luck.

In my opinion the self-cancel signal is a safety feature that will turn your signal off should you "forget" to. For it to work as a safety feature it needs to function after you have completed the turn hence time and distance. I'm glade the feature is stock, I think it well save lives.

Jay

To me, with several bikes that I ride from time to time, the self-cancel signal is a feature that I do not need. I'm concerned that if I get reliant on it cancelling automatically, when I ride on a different bike I'll forget and leave it on. So, I just cancel it manually. If you believe you will ride other bikes from time to time, why complicate your ride by having to 'remember' which bike you are on and whether you need to cancel or not. What will you do in a high traffic / high stress time? Don't we want to make our 'on bike' control actions 'automatic'?

This isn't much of an issue in an auto as most in the world work the same (kinda - don't include heavy trucks, ag tractors and broken vehicles).

As an MSF instructor, we teach the Basic Students on performing a lane change/head check/turn signal. A demo is always performed before the students ride and I do not want to error letting my 'auto' responses fail to cancel the turn signals on a trainer bike in front of students.

It's a personal decision to rely on it or not. The suggestions have merit. Consider your options and good luck.

My 2010 F650GS turn signals turned off after 10 secs or approximately 200 meters. That is what the owner’s manual said and it seemed to work that way. My 2015 R1200RT manual does not address when the signals should turn off, but it is at least twice as long as the 10 sect/200 meters. The RT cancel feature is entirely too long. The signal will stay on after going blocks.

The rationale for not having auto off signals is a little absurd. You would then intentionally having a system the confuses other drivers. Just because it worked before the advent of automation does not make it a good thing. Should we go back to old design incandescent bulbs, float type carburetors and kick starters? If your older or lesser capable bike does not have the upgrade, well that is the joy in riding a classic. It is not a reason to not move forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have never trusted or used the auto canceling feature on my 14RT I always cancel manually , good habit to get into . I've followed my brother many times on his 07K1200GT which has this feature and it stays on way to long even though the dealer has set it at the shortest time on , an accident looking for a place to happen !

Ah, progress. :banghead

The self-cancel turn signals on the K75 bikes, circa 1986 to 1995 was nearly perfect. Usually 13 flashes if moving and still flashing if stationary. Occasionally if activated too soon a second push is needed to finish getting around the corner.

Why they messed with this scheme escapes me other than the awful expense for the flasher unit. Probably the same guy that designed Airhead sidestands and fuel strips did it.:scratch

Back