• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

audio system tech issue

ralwhite

Sorry for the long post. On long stretches I enjoy listening to music through my bikes entertainment system via Sena SMH10 blue tooth helmet system. Up until now I've plugged a thumb drive into the bike's audio system. In doing this, songs play in a specific order starting at the same first song every time I restart the bike. I'm forced to skip ahead using the Muti-Controller so that I don't have to listen to the same songs every time. To get around this I purchased a SanDisk/Sansa Clip Zip. When I plug it into the bike via USB connection it only charges. When I plug it into the bike via jack I'm back to the same specific order issue and the Multi-Controller doesn't work. Without creating multiple playlists etc. is there anyway I can shuffle my entire music collection without starting at the same first song and retain the ability to skip songs via the Multi-Controller? Obviously I can't access the Sansa Clip while riding. Any help will be appreciated.

There are a couple things you might try. My bike does not have a radio and my Sansa Clips have all died so I cannot test either of these ideas.

I verified in the Clip Zip Manual , page 30, that your MP3 player does have a shuffle mode. This will give you at least a little randomness with the jack connection.

Also, you may want to experiment with changing the USB mode of your player (page 33). This may allow for playing music via USB, not just charging.

Hope this helps.

There are a couple things you might try. My bike does not have a radio and my Sansa Clips have all died so I cannot test either of these ideas.

I verified in the Clip Zip Manual , page 30, that your MP3 player does have a shuffle mode. This will give you at least a little randomness with the jack connection.

Also, you may want to experiment with changing the USB mode of your player (page 33). This may allow for playing music via USB, not just charging.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Larry. I'll try your suggestion changing the USB mode. I called SanDisk tech help and was told that my unit was not tested on motorcycles. He said that the USB connection does work on some car systems but then all of the play functions still have to be done using the player which I would assume would likewise take away the ability to use the Multi-Controller on the bike.

I'm forced to skip ahead using the Multi-Controller so that I don't have to listen to the same songs every time.
First things first, the 2011+ radio (can't speak to earlier) will not restart from the beginning of the song list unless you've changed the contents of the USB stick... and then, yes it will.

Second, you hopefully know that you can change the mode-of-play from Song Titles, to Artist, to Album (my preference) or Random. You switch which mode it's in after setting the input to the MP3. Documentation on that is on Page 36 of the audio manual If all you're looking for is Random, that's about 5 Mode buttons away :)

Third, if the USB stick has a playlist structure, that will override everything else unless you've selected the ALL mode (instead of PL1 - PL9).

Fourth, if you want pure audio feed from your Clip, you would connect to the aux-audio-in connector in the glove box using a standard headphone connection... but then you have no track-control of the Clip from the motorcycle, but that may be just fine with you.

First things first, the 2011+ radio (can't speak to earlier) will not restart from the beginning of the song list unless you've changed the contents of the USB stick... and then, yes it will.

Second, you hopefully know that you can change the mode-of-play from Song Titles, to Artist, to Album (my preference) or Random. You switch which mode it's in after setting the input to the MP3. Documentation on that is on Page 36 of the audio manual If all you're looking for is Random, that's about 5 Mode buttons away :)

Third, if the USB stick has a playlist structure, that will override everything else unless you've selected the ALL mode (instead of PL1 - PL9).

Fourth, if you want pure audio feed from your Clip, you would connect to the aux-audio-in connector in the glove box using a standard headphone connection... but then you have no track-control of the Clip from the motorcycle, but that may be just fine with you.

I'm with you on your points. I just wanted to be able to use the Clip and retain the ability to skip over songs (track control) when I want to using the Multi-Controller on the bike. I think the bottom line is that I can't. Riding, obviously I don't have access to the Clip in the glove box to use it's controls. Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't matter what mode you are using (artist, song list etc.) once you connect the Clip to the audio system via jack or USB the Multi-Controller becomes inoperable.

Back