• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R18 cruiser

It would have been interesting if we had a forum back in 1980 to see what everyone thought about BMW selling a off-road bike.

Indeed, as long as what a person likes and advises others to do is lawful. Which is pretty well absent in the muffler thread.

We could expand this to driving over the speed limit......probably just as pointless. :dunno
OM

We could expand this to driving over the speed limit......probably just as pointless. :dunno
OM

I am sitting here grinning as a Cheshire cat because I had already said to myself that I could hardly wait until somebody mentioned speeding.

Along with those other, "go ahead, you won't get caught" things like putting waste oil in the dumpster, pouring stale gasoline down the storm sewer or in the ditch, and of course letting the refrigerant out of your old refrigerator.

Not my cup of tea, but I hope it sells well. In fact, I hope it sells so well that BMW has to open additional U.S. dealerships just to process the additional business.

E.

I agree with this comment above.

I would like to take ride an this beast. But buy one? No. The windshield is stuck in one place and the bike wil likely be too heavy. Besides I am an RT guy.

1200-head.jpg

I am sitting here grinning as a Cheshire cat because I had already said to myself that I could hardly wait until somebody mentioned speeding.
I had to wait a bit for things to develop :)
It's (IMO) just a part of the human condition to want rules, regulations and black helicopters to pounce on conditions that annoy them........unless it effects them. It's like road rage.....if one is the type to start honking or give the single finger wave in traffic, chances are the driver that committed this (perceived) offense doesn't even know it. The reaction is, most of the time, seen as the first thing that went on.
Riders with loud pipes- with courtesy, you can remind them to go easy on the throttle when near an "event". Same with your neighbor that bought a riding lawn mower that, due to horsepower speckmanship, runs basically a straight pipe for an exhaust. Ask them, with courtesy, if they could mow a bit later than 07:00 on Sunday morning.
OM

I like the look of retro cruisers. I'd probably spring for a Moto Guzzi 1400 Eldo. I also like the sound of a V-Twin. Just sayin. :thumb

I had to wait a bit for things to develop :)
It's (IMO) just a part of the human condition to want rules, regulations and black helicopters to pounce on conditions that annoy them........unless it effects them.

"Why is everyone who drives slower than you a moron and everyone who drives faster than you a maniac?"

George Carlin

I'd probably spring for a Moto Guzzi 1400 Eldo. I also like the sound of a V-Twin. Just sayin. :thumb

V-twin and at least 3 models of heavy cruisers *with forward-mounted pegs*. If they had a robust dealer network... how do you say “potato-potato” in Italian? :)

Best,
DeVern

It really doesn't matter whether or not existing BMW owners like it, or don't like it. The question is, will the normal cruiser buyer like it?

IMNSHO the answer is a resounding NO! A majority of Cruiser riders don't buy HD because they're great bikes, their overall performance, handling, and riding position. They ride them because they are Harley's, period, drop the Mic.

Even with a nice paint job that is one butt-ugly motorcycle.

Ski

I am so impressed with the marketing expertise on this Forum. I wish BMWAG would only listen to the wisdom here. That way they would stop wasting money on silly new models, so they could cut the price on the models the experts here endorse. :scratch

Anyone seen the HP / Torque specs on this beast of a motor? You might be able to tow the car instead of the other way around :dunno

IMNSHO the answer is a resounding NO! A majority of Cruiser riders don't buy HD because they're great bikes, their overall performance, handling, and riding position. They ride them because they are Harley's, period, drop the Mic.

Even with a nice paint job that is one butt-ugly motorcycle.

Ski

The bike I just traded in was a Harley Road King. I liked it. It was easy to ride, parts & service were readily available and there were tons of accessories you can get (silly and functional). But, I’d also point out the the concept of brand loyalty isn’t just a Harley phenomenon.

On the R18, the bike in the photos looks like a camouflaged prototype. I’ll bet the production version looks pretty good. My only issue is that the guy in the photos doesn’t look very comfortable.

Last edited:
I have been riding BMW motorcycles exclusively for 53 years. That is BMW brand loyalty.

Exactly (and congratulations on your excellent taste). I've had three Harleys and now on my fourth BMW, but nothing else. My brothers only have Harleys, and my parents have only had Hondas.

If I were a dealer, I would take everyone test-driving an R18 and I would have them ride a 1600B at the same time. I would expect someone looking for a cruising style bike would want at least one of them. No matter what, I think the R18 is going to be good for BMW because it will generate foot-traffic in their stores.

I have been riding BMW motorcycles exclusively for 53 years. That is BMW brand loyalty.

I've been riding BMW since the late 70s. Along the way, I've owned Hondas and a Ducati.

I like a little spice in my riding life. The BMWs are nice and I've got 3 in the garage, but few things tingle the senses like the 12K rpm howl from a VFR V4 or a 916 hard at work on a backroad.

IMG_0684-X3.jpg

It would have been interesting if we had a forum back in 1980 to see what everyone thought about BMW selling a off-road bike.

For similar thinking, go poke around for posts when the S1000RR was introduced. You just knew that some old fart was trying to hang some truck lights and a set of Bates bags on one. Same for the R9T. The howls about that bike not having bags were pretty funny.

It's a sportbike. It's not for you, Mr./Ms. LT Rider. It's probably for your kids. :ha

Back