• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A Pocket Knife thread (celebrating my new one!)

mistercindy

I bought a new pocket knife. Its a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian 556. Here's a pic from the Benchmade site:

bm-556.jpg

The blade opens easily with the thumb stud, which is on both sides of the blade so its both right and left handed. After a little practice it can be opened and closed with one hand. It also locks open securely. The clip is right or left handed, too. It can be removed with a tiny allen wrench and put on the other side. In the picture above the clip must be on the other side of the handle, which means its set up right-handed. You can also just remove the clip and keep it off, which I may do since I just keep it in my pocket.

Its not spring assisted, which I didn't want as they are illegal and/or considered switchblades in a lot of states. The blade is 2.91" which is legal in all 50 states (Texas' legal limit is 5 1/2", and quite a few states limit legal knives to 3 1/2" or 3").

Its VERY sharp! Surprisingly so! All the reviews I read were great. I got it for $84 at Bass Pro Shops here in the Dallas area, and you can find it online for as little as $60. But I wanted to hold and feel it before buying, and doing that at a retail outlet then buying online seems a bit unprincipled to me. A bit high-end, maybe, but what the heck.

I'm happy with it. I've carried an old Swiss Army pocket knife for years, but I felt the itch for something new without so many gadgets.

I got the black because, well..., just because. I considered yellow because at a camp or deer lease it'd be easier to find if dropped. It also comes in pink, which a female police officer whith whom I work bought after she saw and liked mine!

MODS: I debated whether this ought to be in Gear or Campfire, but I noticed camping gear and tool type threads in Gear, so I figured knives are along the same lines and put it here.

Interesting that you went to a straight knife from a Swiss Army knife. The knife blade on my multitool gets used mostly for opening boxes, which I think would be very hard service for a real knife.

I can't live without all (ok, some) of the gadgets on a SA Knife or a multitool. I routinely use the screwdrivers, the bottle opener and even the corkscrew gets regular, if not frequent use.

I carried a SA knife for years, and then I thought I had lost it when I couldn't find it in my checked bag after a flight. So I bought a Leatherman Juice multitool. (Of course, I found the SA knife the next time I got the bag out for a trip.) The pliers have been useful any number of times, so I haven't gone back to the SA knife.

The Leatherman, with its colored anodized coating, doesn't stand up nearly as well as the Victorinox SA knife to getting jostled with my keys. It looks very battered at this point. Not that I care much, but some people would.

Nothing as handy as good knife, I love the one I got out in Sedona last fall, very much like yours. only differance is the handle which was inlaid on one side with Rosewood and turquoise by a native craftsman. Goes very nicely with the inlaid wood and turquoise belt buckle I got from the same craftsman. A nice addition to my collection of pocket/camping/utility knives. Never leave home without at least one!

Very nice after xmas personal present. You obvious knew exactly what the reciever of said item really liked! :lol

RM

First, let me say that the fact that we are discussing pocket knives and similar devices is a sad commentary on our state of mind; must be an indication that we need to get out more and do some riding. The Winter seems to be dragging on this year. That having been expressed.... Congratulations Grant!!!

I carry a Leatherman Skeletool. Has a blade for cutting; pliers that include a very good wire cutter, and they are not hand pinchers as many other similar devices are; and, both flat-head and Phillips screwdrivers that are actually functional. Can either be attached to a belt loop or has a clip for sliding on a pocket. I recommend it.

Attachments

• Skeletool.jpg
    Skeletool.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 2,368
I still use a Swiss Army pocket knife for every day uses.

I have a rather old (50+years) Case 3 blade pocket knife with carbon steel blades for a hunting knife. It holds a razor edge and has been great for skinning game, deer and hogs. No need for a rambo style or size knife for me.

First, let me say that the fact that we are discussing pocket knives and similar devices is a sad commentary on our state of mind; must be an indication that we need to get out more and do some riding. The Winter seems to be dragging on this year. That having been expressed.... Congratulations Grant!!!

I carry a Leatherman Skeletool. Has a blade for cutting; pliers that include a very good wire cutter, and they are not hand pinchers as many other similar devices are; and, both flat-head and Phillips screwdrivers that are actually functional. Can either be attached to a belt loop or has a clip for sliding on a pocket. I recommend it.

Oh I don't know about that, perhaps it has more to do with the fact we just enjoy "cutting up" !:laugh

(sorry, just couldn't resist a really bad pun, blame my Dad, he was the worst (best) punster in town...)

RM

I've got a Benchmade....nice knife...

And oh...don't get me started...I have an addiction...

I buy several a year...and carry 2 or 3 every day...

I visit bladeforums.com regularly...

Always have at least one SA on me....plus a small folder, (lately a Case from the 70s) and some nice pocket clip knife...
Today...a Lone Wolf Paul Presto knife like this...

LW-PRESTO-BURLWOOD-320.png

My wife thinks I may have a problem...

One small case...
knife_case.jpg

Benchmade.. .. . spoooooooge.
icon_redface.gif

But I still carry my granddad's elk-horn handled "Keen Kutter". Nothing special about it really, but I never feel ready for work unless it's in my pocket.

I would have to agree with her

It's called OCD.... nothing in my house, garage or life is organized that well!!! :scratch

And i carry a Vik Swiss Army knife with lots of attachments too....

Always have at least one SA on me....plus a small folder, (lately a Case from the 70s) and some nice pocket clip knife...

One small case...
knife_case.jpg

One small case...
knife_case.jpg

Nice carburetors.

Nice carburetors.

:laugh:laugh:laugh first thing I noticed!

I like knives, though the TSA captured my 30+ year old one my grandfather gave me and I had managed to not lose for many years. Was the first or second week of the new rules and I didn't even think about it and it still makes me sick...O'Hare Airport!!!!!!!!!!

This here is my favorite. Yeah it's a little bulky but when you need it-splinters to bolts.

Attachments

• 8797953359902_1_6795_Image_1534_eps.jpg
    8797953359902_1_6795_Image_1534_eps.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 2,293
Let me tell you about pocketknives...they are like motorcycles. Basically if they are not made in Europe or the US, they're probably not any count ("not any count" is a southern expression meaning no good). The best ones-again like motorcycles- are probably made in Germany. I usually carry a Boker. You've got to be careful...lots of the old US Knife compainies are making knives in weird places like China...and we all know not to buy stuff from China.

:usa

The blade is 2.91" which is legal in all 50 states (Texas' legal limit is 5 1/2", and quite a few states limit legal knives to 3 1/2" or 3").
[/SIZE]

I recently picked a small hunting knife with a 4 1/4" blade. I had planned on using it at campsites in case of bear/cougar attacks, which seem to be more common these days. Does the above quote mean that I would be in violation of American knife/weapon laws crossing into your country with it stored in my pannier or tank bag? :dunno :ca

There are folks that make money selling TSA confiscated stuff (lot of knives). Ebay is the usual place for these folks to sell the used knives. Here is one such vendor -

http://shop.ebay.com/bouldercitynv/m.html

From the TSA blog -

http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/09/what-happens-to-your-prohibited-items.html

They had a public sell off of confiscated and abandoned airport stuff in Austin a year ago..the TV folks panned across around 8 large tupperware bins filled with pocketknives...it was stunning to see that many and from a short time period. I need to go check that event out sometime. I bet that is where the EBAY guys stock up....seems like any knife in the bins was $5!

I recently picked a small hunting knife with a 4 1/4" blade. I had planned on using it at campsites in case of bear/cougar attacks, which seem to be more common these days.

4 1/4" is way too close for attacking critters for me to the end of my hand...Bear Spray gets my vote! :whistle

Back