• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Retirement!!!

Retirement

I am 62 and have been working since age 14, but my first day of practice as a Physician Assistant was Feb 2nd, 1977. I retired from the Army in 1994, but continued in private practice. After almost 35 years of practice, I will retire on Jan 20th. I have 11 working days left (Holidays and one vacation day excepted)! My wife retired in June, and we have plans to travel (some on the bike, some not), and experience the freedom we have always desired. I plan to play a lot more golf, and I am considering getting back into sailing, which I did for many years. I am both excited and apprehensive, as has been the case anytime there was a major change in my life. Ain't life grand?:twirl
Well, 8 years into it and how's it working out?

62 y.o. and counting....

That's what drove me to retire at 62. Between the sales dept that promised products so incredibly niche that all potential profits were eaten up by changeover penalties on the production line, marketing that redesigned packaging but left out the registration marks that told the packaging line where one bag ended and the next began, to the CEO letting 660 hard working Vermonters go so he could buy an executive jet which became an enormous black money pit...I just got too tired to contribute to the madness.

Coming up on my ninth month of retirement and have never enjoyed life more than now!

Pete

What burns my rump is that our CEO gets something like 59 (or is 79?) million a year. TO DO WHAT????? They outsource anything they can think of... plus some. No one local has access rights to the print server and the outsourced IT group take DAYS to get back to you. I work in publication production. Production means deadlines - you know, those deliverables to the paying clients? We had a major production machine go dead. I can't work if the machine is dead. 2 days after the initial shout out for help... nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero. Whatevah! We finally got back on line today - a week later. That is only the beginning of the gripe list. Like I said in my original post, I have less and less patience with the baloney that goes on in Corporate America. I don't earn enough to be able to afford to retire at 62. Besides, I want to stay busy and stay a contributing member of society. But I'm hankering for a ride first.

Louise

I'm "retiring" on the 25th and we're moving back in western NC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We will continue to work at something for a few years but whatever it is the job will end at 5 pm with no phones or laptops on vacations! :dance

I'm "retiring" on the 25th and we're moving back in western NC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We will continue to work at something for a few years but whatever it is the job will end at 5 pm with no phones or laptops on vacations! :dance

The two of you will really enjoy not being chained to the phone and laptops on trips.

I retired 8 months ago on my birthday at 62. I finally found out what I want to be in life !

Same here. June 1st was my official date, though HR crashed my retirement party two days earlier and told me not to come back because of "offensive statements" I had made. The company had just laid off another 60 employees with no warning (bringing the total to 2000 who had been canned) and I was overheard saying, "And they wonder why morale is so low."

Life since then has been wonderful! I made huge progress on the Honeydew List...or at least I was making progress before winter and our record snowfall. The only downside has been my poor wife, who sees how much my life has improved, is three years younger and still has a few working years ahead of her. Let's just say her tolerance for bad management decisions has taken a nose dive!

When management keeps sending trainees to yer position for training, the jig is up. I usually handed them a broom to start at the bottom. To become a journeyperson you have to first be an apprentice. Getting old is an education. Retirement offers a whole new set of possibilities. After a few years the labors past to make a living seem like a deja vu all over again. One of the anchors is the beemer. An old friend for the last 40 years. Two scents, FWIW.

Retired

Glad that you are retired and enjoying it. I have thoroughly enjoyed the thread on the the sidecar this Winter. Looking forward to next Winter's project and posts.

I’m concerned that Pete will suffer PPD (Post Project Depression) when his sidecar project is complete. So, I am offering up my Ural sidecar as a follow-on project. Let’s see if he can make a silk purse out of a pig’s ear. Hell, I’ll offer up the entire rig just to be nice.

I’m concerned that Pete will suffer PPD (Post Project Depression) when his sidecar project is complete. So, I am offering up my Ural sidecar as a follow-on project. Let’s see if he can make a silk purse out of a pig’s ear. Hell, I’ll offer up the entire rig just to be nice.

With the freedom to pursue artistic license..? I've always wanted to create a Batmobile hack!

This is an issue current to me right now. I'm on the cusp of retirement. Self employed so I can work as much as I want, but am attempting to wind it down.
Problem with that plan is that this winter I never found a project bike that needed my love. As such I was forced to work on my own bike!
With the riding season fast upon me, I'm looking forward to that sucking up some of the free time, but I'm also still looking for the next project.

Headin OUT

One of the worst things that happens with these lingering days is when you are heading out for a few hours, days, weeks, or months who hangs around and takes care of the place......I used to face this when I would spend weeks on my odyssey to head to the national for decades.

Now, am heading out tomorrow until February as we ramble in the Airstream down to the Naval Air station in Key West through February. Then we hop over to the Yucatan at Merida and then over to the World Biosphere next door to Belize and finally end up at a Kayak Sailboat reunion in the Everglades...……..Home in February!!

So, after efforts to find someone to take care of the mules, ride them, feed the dogs and then make sure that the goats stay in the fence...…...Finally....I dont know about YOU; but it's hard to find and keep a hired hand, let alone a person to come in and take care of the place for an hour or two per day...….....MONEY TALKS...…

Anyway, headin out...…...

One of the worst things that happens with these lingering days is when you are heading out for a few hours, days, weeks, or months who hangs around and takes care of the place......

That's a question that has been in my mind more lately as I near retirement (2 1/2 months away) and begin fullfillment of extended travel plans. The livestock is limited to a couple of aquariums and houseplants, but those too will need some attention routinely.

One of the worst things that happens with these lingering days is when you are heading out for a few hours, days, weeks, or months who hangs around and takes care of the place......I used to face this when I would spend weeks on my odyssey to head to the national for decades.

Now, am heading out tomorrow until February as we ramble in the Airstream down to the Naval Air station in Key West through February. Then we hop over to the Yucatan at Merida and then over to the World Biosphere next door to Belize and finally end up at a Kayak Sailboat reunion in the Everglades...……..Home in February!!

So, after efforts to find someone to take care of the mules, ride them, feed the dogs and then make sure that the goats stay in the fence...…...Finally....I dont know about YOU; but it's hard to find and keep a hired hand, let alone a person to come in and take care of the place for an hour or two per day...….....MONEY TALKS...…

Anyway, headin out...…...

Safe travels DD:wave Enjoy the time! Sounds like some warm locales.

Yeah, can relate to house/property sitting issues. We have had good folks, folks who did their best and something still happened, folks who kind of forgot why they were there, and friends who I could have flogged for misdeeds. Very hard to find a reliable/available person out in small town USA.

We just got home from an extended Toyhauler trip to the Ozarks and had an unexpected winter snap roar into home base week one. Had a friend go by to do what she could and hoped for best at return. We had the dogs with us, but lots of places to drain water system and shutoff and plants exposed that I knew were a full day's work even if I did it. It ended up being OK...phew!

On the retirement thing...going on twelve years since started working for H and myself and do not miss the structured career routine:dance
Health and happiness doing it's part as well.

I'm getting really close. Not that I'm counting the days or anything.. :) I've been planning this for the last year. I'll be 60. I work for a large corporation and I can't do it anymore. 40 years in the oil industry is long enough. Not to mention, we buried my mother two weeks ago. It's time, I'm ready...

i-PjFpXLx-L.jpg

Back