• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

THE 2021 Montana MOA Re-Schedule (previous 2020 Great Falls Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
I was the BMW MOA President when the Kiltmeister pitched the Trenton Rally to the Board. After all the whining from a couple of people about vendors can't come and folks with DUI convictions can't come, and folks can't bring their guns we promptly and with enthusiasm approved Trenton as the rally site. That is one of our decisions of which I am most proud. I would love to go back to an International Rally in Canada, but the same DUI and other comments come up every time it is mentioned, it seems.

There is a process for getting permission to enter Canada with relatively minor criminal convictions on one's record. Given a year's notice a person with a DUI and no other convictions has a good chance of being able to attend.

I like to think that with the US/Canada border there is a process (in Canada that would be PROcess with a long "O") for most things. It's usually just a matter of paperwork and patience. I figured it was probably the same with minor criminal items but never had a personal need to check.

Tires Purchase & Install at Great Falls

I don't know anything about the issues, but their appears to be a significant development regarding vendors providing tire purchase & install.

As learned from watching MOA Great Falls promo videos, it was stated that Michelin had worked out an agreement with Sports City Cycles
(a multi-brand dealer in town) for Michelin customers who purchase tires at the Rally.

In the video (5/10/21 Saddle Up & Ride with Rally Chairs)... it indicates they are taking reservations now.

And tells me, it won't be business as usual.

I don't know anything about the issues, but their appears to be a significant development regarding vendors providing tire purchase & install.

As learned from watching MOA Great Falls promo videos, it was stated that Michelin had worked out an agreement with Sports City Cycles
(a multi-brand dealer in town) for Michelin customers who purchase tires at the Rally.

In the video (5/10/21 Saddle Up & Ride with Rally Chairs)... it indicates they are taking reservations now.

And tells me, it won't be business as usual.

Interesting there will not be tire changes on site this year.
Cory said Michelin is working with a local shop. I would guess riders can order other brands when they order their tire??
Drive through registration does not sound very handy especially if you're not preregistered.

IMHO it would be best to leave home with a fresh set of tires and not have to worry about replacing them. The last thing I want to do is waste half a day or more waiting for new ones to be mounted rather than exploring the area... Just my 0.02cts YMMV

IMHO it would be best to leave home with a fresh set of tires and not have to worry about replacing them. The last thing I want to do is waste half a day or more waiting for new ones to be mounted rather than exploring the area... Just my 0.02cts YMMV

I figured this year might be different regarding tires so I purchased a set from a local bike shop and will have them mounted a week from today.

Any chance of stocking Coors Edge non-alcohol beer? Some of us avoid alcohol for various reasons. Coors Edge is by far the best NA beer I have tried.

Thanks,

Harry

In my opinion this is your best option. Even under normal (pre-COVID) conditions we would expect a smaller-than-average vendor attendance. Historically, western rallies have smaller attendance than mid-west or eastern rallies. Some, like the two Redmond and Salem, had particularly good locations within 500 miles of two or more large population centers.

Great Falls is about as remote a rally as the club has had in many years. Member surveys have consistently shown that the vast majority of our members are reluctant to rider further than 500 miles (one-way) to an event, and that seems to be born out when looking at rally attendance over the years. Of the major population centers closet to Great Falls, only Boise (749,000 metro area), Spokane (574,00 metro area), and Salt Lake (1,169,000 metro area) are not much over, or less than, 500 miles away. Additonally, it's a long way north for a lot of our members.

GF to Portland: 710 miles
GF to Seattle: 640
GF to Denver: 770

GF to Salt Lake: 570
GF to Boise: 575
GF to Spokane: 365

That is long setup for my point that in part due to Great Falls' location, and in part due to the ongoing COVID situation, I expect to see a drop in vendor attendance, especially relative to what I expect will be a good rider attendance. So, I think we should support those vendors who do show up, but have a good plan B for anything you deem critical, like tires, oil changes, etc.

...Member surveys have consistently shown that the vast majority of our members are reluctant to rider further than 500 miles (one-way) to an event, and that seems to be born out when looking at rally attendance over the years.

I'm really surprised by that! With my blinders in place I've always looked at the rallies as reasons to travel not only to faraway places, but to do so in the most meandering fashion possible. Those I've met at the rallies seem to feel the same way unless work placed constraints on them.

Are the data granular enough to distinguish between retired and currently employed members when it comes to distance?

Pete

I figured this year might be different regarding tires so I purchased a set from a local bike shop and will have them mounted a week from today.

Any chance of stocking Coors Edge non-alcohol beer? Some of us avoid alcohol for various reasons. Coors Edge is by far the best NA beer I have tried.

Thanks,

Harry

I'd bring a 6/12 pack with just in case...:drink

In my opinion this is your best option. Even under normal (pre-COVID) conditions we would expect a smaller-than-average vendor attendance. Historically, western rallies have smaller attendance than mid-west or eastern rallies. Some, like the two Redmond and Salem, had particularly good locations within 500 miles of two or more large population centers.

Great Falls is about as remote a rally as the club has had in many years. Member surveys have consistently shown that the vast majority of our members are reluctant to rider further than 500 miles (one-way) to an event, and that seems to be born out when looking at rally attendance over the years. Of the major population centers closet to Great Falls, only Boise (749,000 metro area), Spokane (574,00 metro area), and Salt Lake (1,169,000 metro area) are not much over, or less than, 500 miles away. Additonally, it's a long way north for a lot of our members.

That is long setup for my point that in part due to Great Falls' location, and in part due to the ongoing COVID situation, I expect to see a drop in vendor attendance, especially relative to what I expect will be a good rider attendance. So, I think we should support those vendors who do show up, but have a good plan B for anything you deem critical, like tires, oil changes, etc.

I agree that the vendors who do make the effort to show up deserve support by the attendees but if 300+ riders need tires, I doubt that they could handle that. I remember one time at the TOR rally in Paonia that the tire guys couldn't handle the volume due to 900 riders attending which was the highest number ever.
I forgot the exact year either '04 or 05? :scratch

Member surveys have consistently shown that the vast majority of our members are reluctant to rider further than 500 miles (one-way) to an event...

I'm really surprised by that! With my blinders in place I've always looked at the rallies as reasons to travel not only to faraway places, but to do so in the most meandering fashion possible.

Not surprising at all... especially for younger members with day jobs and families. I think this is why we generally have ~20% of our membership coming to any one particular rally.

Personally, throughout my career, I could go to far-away rallies because all of my international clients took the whole summer off, so work volume was lower and my team could handle the business (and... my wife let me!), although I spent significant time on the phone/computer. I called them "workvations." But if the rally were to be in the fall, I never would have been able to attend. However, I don't see myself as a reflection of most members' situation.

It's been my experience that the rally regulars are either educators ;) or retired people and the new faces are generally from somewhere nearby. It was a great member benefit, imo, to have friends located all over the country! :D

Ian

Interesting there will not be tire changes on site this year.
Cory said Michelin is working with a local shop. I would guess riders can order other brands when they order their tire??
Drive through registration does not sound very handy especially if you're not preregistered.

My "guess" is much different Lee.

I feel Michelin is bringing their big vendor display and a truck load of tires.

And they (Michelin) worked out a business deal with SCC in town... to handle "the Michelin customer" installs.

It's been my experience that the rally regulars are either educators ;) or retired people and the new faces are generally from somewhere nearby. It was a great member benefit, imo, to have friends located all over the country! :D

Ian

I was odd man out. From 1984 until 2004 I had a full time job, not a lot of vacation, and still made it to every BMW MOA Rally except Moodus the year I changed jobs and had zero accrued vacation. Then I retired and kept right on rallying.

Voni has been to every one since 1984.

It's been my experience that the rally regulars are either educators ;) or retired people
Ian

The teacher thing used to come up a lot when it was mentioned we should move the rally to a different month than July.
I never saw proof that a lot of the rally goers were teachers.

Member surveys have consistently shown that the vast majority of our members are reluctant to rider further than 500 miles (one-way) to an event, and that seems to be born out when looking at rally attendance over the years. .

Sounds right to me.
We would use a 1000 mile one way rule so I only used five days of leave.
Tuesday and Wednesday travel, Thursday, Friday and Saturday at the rally and return home Sunday and Monday.
Five days of leave and seven day of vacation.

I kept hoping they would try the mid week rally again like Texas.
With a mid week rally I could get nine days of vacation with the same five days of leave.
With the storms and floods before the Texas rally the numbers were down and I think the board was afraid to try it again.
The crazy thing was the weather was great during the rally.

The inability of our Canadian members to attend is also a significant factor impacting attendance.

Member surveys have consistently shown that the vast majority of our members are reluctant to rider further than 500 miles (one-way) to an event, and that seems to be born out when looking at rally attendance over the years.

Back when, that 500 miles to the rally held true for Voni and I for weekend regional rallies; except for Bavarian Mountain Weekend - Sipapu, at 700 miles and Top of Rockies at Paonia at 800 miles. We still did those as 3 day weekend rallies with Friday off. Back to work on Mondays. But we were younger then. :)

Ah, the aging thing coupled with the covid-induced reduction in long rides over the past year have me wondering if our rhythm has changed. I'm 65 now, three years into retirement. Glenlivet is coming up on five years and beginning to show signs of maturity. (It comes late in goldens.) We'll take familiar US Highways 224/24 west as far as Peoria because we know every dog-friendly park along that route. As a way of forcing myself to reject the HR-driven sense of urgency during my working years I'm adopting a policy of having to read at least one chapter of a book at every stop so Glenlivet has time to play, rest, drink and pee.

On this trip we will also be stopping to visit friends I've only met online. Some will be meet and greets in those aforementioned parks, some shared meals in mom n pop diners, and some overnight accommodations. I find myself looking forward to the novelty of meandering with no fixed schedule, of sharing tales with friends new and old, of finding us surrounded by delighted people at pit stops and not feeling the need to press on right away.

4900 miles into this trip we roll into Great Falls for yet another family reunion. Hope to see many of you there!

Pete and Glenlivet

FILE6227.jpg

The inability of our Canadian members to attend is also a significant factor impacting attendance.

I have attended only a few rallies for the reasons speculated on. Lack of vacation time was always an issue, but no longer now that I am retired. Now it is the pandemic issues and border restrictions that will keep me away again this year. I would very much like to attend, but as things are currently looking I can't see a practical way for that to happen.

Should the border reopen in time, I will still not have received a second vaccine dose it appears. If the border reopens, it is uncertain what requirement will be placed on those who want to cross. Proof of vaccination? Negative testing result? Quarantine requirements after re-entering? At just over a month away all of these questions remain unanswered and as such planning to attend has become a very very faint possibility. I haven't requested my refund yet, but.....

Edit: Just saw that the border closure was once again extended until June 21st. It looks entirely unlikely for us Canadians to be able to attend.

Last edited:
Back