• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

latest GPS option?

Jon

Wave to motorcycle cops
Im considering upgrading the GPS on my 09 K LT. It came with the BMW Garmin Nav 3. Anyone have recomendations on the latest motorcycle friendly GPS setup that would mount up where I would remove the Nav 3.
Glad to hear input.
Jonathan

I have always wanted the Zumo 665, but always flinched at the cost. Did pop one recently for the Harley Davidson version of 665 called the Road Tech Zumo 665. Cost $640 at Hales Sport Center. Other than the pre-loaded Harley shops POI and the HD screen logo on the intial power-up, it is the same device. Beats the other $725 and up prices I found. Also has a 2 year warranty period instead of 1 year and Garmin support.
Not sure if it would mount on your bike where you planned on it. My bike is in it annual Vermont hibernation, so only have used it in my car. But have a June trip to 8 states and 3 provinces.

Other than the pre-loaded Harley shops POI and the HD screen logo on the intial power-up, it is the same device.

You can change startup screens. Check out Zumo forums. Harley POIs are not a bad thing, they sell plenty of things you just might need in the middle of nowhere.

Road Tech Zumo

I bought one for a discounted price at Christmas last year. It's a Garmin Zumo
665 and it's great. Yes you have to put up with the Harley start up screen and the database of their dealers, but other than that it's a Zumo 665. The other thing that is different with the Road Tech Zumo is that you get a 2 year warranty instead of the 1 year warranty you would get from Garmin. Go for it. Don

I'd check out the Montana series from Garmin. They're great all-round navigators, but not if you're interested in Bluetooth, music etc. Worth a look though. They're what some are using to replace their older chartplotters (276C, 376, 478 etc.).

This is slightly tangential, but... I went through 3 zumo 550's in a little over a year. The first one was replaced in warranty, but the second one broke after the warranty expired. I would HIGHLY recommend buying from somewhere like GPS city that offers an extended warranty. Normally I totally forget about buying warranties on computers or electronics, like the total rip off that best buy tries to sell you with a new purchase. However, my experience with otherwise good garmin products tells me that the 50 bucks or whatever is worth it.

Also, I replaced the 550 with a nuvi. Water and vibration proof, for way less. You just have to buy the mc mount separately.
My 2c.

SH

I would HIGHLY recommend buying from somewhere like GPS city that offers an extended warranty.

According the consumer rags, one should always buy the extended warranty with laptop computers. Given my experience, I would have to agree, as they've always payed for themselves. Not sure if the warranties are as good with GPS.

According the consumer rags, one should always buy the extended warranty with laptop computers. Given my experience, I would have to agree, as they've always payed for themselves. Not sure if the warranties are as good with GPS.

Jeeeze, in 28 years and somewhere around 60 computers, about half of them being laptops, I've never needed warranty service. With all the money I've 'saved', I bought more computers. :brow

I used to work as a field service tech at comp usa. I guess the difference between a laptop and a garmin GPS is that in theory, you can just buy a part for a laptop and replace it. The garmin is just a brick with no serviceable parts.

Once had a dell laptop back in the days of PCMCIA wireless cards. Big old antenna sticking out the side. I was at a coffee house, and running out of batteries so I tipped the machine up to plug the power supply into the back. When I tipped it back down, the pc card caught on the edge of my coffee cup, and pored 16oz of guatemalan directly into the motherboard of the laptop. Nothin gonna cover that! :thumb

SH

I used to work as a field service tech at comp usa. I guess the difference between a laptop and a garmin GPS is that in theory, you can just buy a part for a laptop and replace it. The garmin is just a brick with no serviceable parts.

Once had a dell laptop back in the days of PCMCIA wireless cards. Big old antenna sticking out the side. I was at a coffee house, and running out of batteries so I tipped the machine up to plug the power supply into the back. When I tipped it back down, the pc card caught on the edge of my coffee cup, and pored 16oz of guatemalan directly into the motherboard of the laptop. Nothin gonna cover that! :thumb

SH

Sounds like something I would do Samuel! :laugh

Back