• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Microsoft Word question

crazydrummerdude

advrider.com
Every simple thing in the old Word is a giant cluster of crap in the new one.

I WANT 3 COLUMNS.

In my first picture, you can see that I have 3 columns on page 2 filled in. On page 1 have 1.5 columns.

columns1.jpg

Now, when I try to get rid of that dead space, it just pushes all 3 of my page 2 columns up, without assimilating them into the second column of the first page.

columns2.jpg

Before I noticed this, it was QUITE annoying trying to find out what was going on.

How do I just get 3 columns, non-interrupted, top to bottom?

Oh, and when I tried to add attachments to this post, that didn't work. Weird.

Bill Gates is not Satan.

But they have lunch on Tuesdays.

Put two CRs just below the text you want highlighted

Highlight the text you want in columns

Format
Columns
Chose three

The text you selected will now be in three columns

Now you can go to work below the columns using one of Carriage Returns.

This is much easier to do with the format codes turned on so you can see exactly where special effects start and end.

Does that help?

I've now fixed it, but may use this as a "Man, this new Office sucks" vent thread.

I hit enter and it formats 20 different things 50 different ways. Then, I try to undo it, and the entire document is formatted some other way.

And, man, they sure removed the user-friendliness of Excel with this new style.

Thanks, though, everyone. Last forum I asked a Word question on, the only response was "Go back to the old Office."

Hey crazydrummerdude:

I looked carefully through your original document and determined you are trying to format the native language of Alderon.

Blown up.

By the Death Star.

Get over it.

Word is for English.

'nuff said

I've now fixed it, but may use this as a "Man, this new Office sucks" vent thread.

I hit enter and it formats 20 different things 50 different ways. Then, I try to undo it, and the entire document is formatted some other way.

And, man, they sure removed the user-friendliness of Excel with this new style.

Thanks, though, everyone. Last forum I asked a Word question on, the only response was "Go back to the old Office."

At work, we install the old EXCEL along with Office 2007. That way, we can convert the silly .xlsm format files to .xls and do our work. In a bizarre attempt to mimic Apple applications, MSoft has basically added several keystrokes or mouse clicks to most operations. Don't get me started of the grade school appearance of the graphs in EXCEL 2007. That was another driver for the dual installation of EXCEL

In my job I have to support MS Office 2007 and 2003. We are going thru a transition upgrading 35,000 PCs to Vista and Office 2007. What a nightmare. I have to admit that more times than not, we get lots of calls about formatting issues with Office 2007. Does not matter which application, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access or even Outlook, they all have major issues.

Because of the CF that Microsoft made of Office 2007, I run Open Office on all of my home PCs. It is simple and just works.

I think that the biggest problem with MS Office is that they have tried to add so much to the applications they have become much more difficult to use, almost to the point of being useless. And don't get me started on that stupid ribbon bar.

And yes, I do ride an Airhead.:nyah

Back