• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pre-purchase Test Rides

lonewoof

I contacted a local dealer regarding a potential purchase of a new BMW bike. They are a multi brand dealer and have a decent assortment of new BMW's but not the specific model I was interested in, that being an F700GS. They advised that they could locate one for me if I were a serious buyer, (don't know? I've owned over 20 bikes in my 50 yr riding career, including 9 BMW's) I told them I was serious, but I wasn't going to order a bike without seeing it and going for a test ride. The sales guy is a very nice, and knowledgeable professional, who then advised me that they do not allow any pre-purchase test rides on BMW bikes.

I understand that I am at the doorstep of geezerdom, but how the hell do they sell any bikes? I also understand that it is probably a dealer restriction and maybe/possibly BMW exercises no policy regarding test rides, (although BMW is inclined to exercise policy on everything else).

Is this a new marketing plan by BMW? Is it a rarity among other BMW dealers? Or is this the new norm?

Want to test ride a Harley? Just point to the one you want (I don't want) and they will roll it out the door. Triumph? It's even on their website asking if you want a test ride.

So do I need to wait for bike week and they make a reservation?

I think this is up to the dealer. I wouldn't take it so personal. You got a chance to see how this dealer operates- for free!
If you want to mention where you are, chances are a Member can recommend a more accommodating place to make your purchase.
OM

I contacted a local dealer regarding a potential purchase of a new BMW bike. They are a multi brand dealer and have a decent assortment of new BMW's but not the specific model I was interested in, that being an F700GS. They advised that they could locate one for me if I were a serious buyer, (don't know? I've owned over 20 bikes in my 50 yr riding career, including 9 BMW's) I told them I was serious, but I wasn't going to order a bike without seeing it and going for a test ride. The sales guy is a very nice, and knowledgeable professional, who then advised me that they do not allow any pre-purchase test rides on BMW bikes.

I understand that I am at the doorstep of geezerdom, but how the hell do they sell any bikes? I also understand that it is probably a dealer restriction and maybe/possibly BMW exercises no policy regarding test rides, (although BMW is inclined to exercise policy on everything else).

Is this a new marketing plan by BMW? Is it a rarity among other BMW dealers? Or is this the new norm?

Want to test ride a Harley? Just point to the one you want (I don't want) and they will roll it out the door. Triumph? It's even on their website asking if you want a test ride.

So do I need to wait for bike week and they make a reservation?

Go to a different dealer, if that's an option. Or, as you note, a dealer of a brand that offers test rides.

Interesting. After you purchase a bike BMW sends out a survey. One of the questions asks if you were offered a test ride. I think there is some give and play with the dealers and BMW on inventory and test bikes. But I get the feeling the company encourages test rides.

My guess is this is a dealer decision. BMW USA's website has a test ride request link.

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html

This link takes you to the main US website. Click on the Test Ride tab. This will give you a short drop down menu. Click on request a test ride. You will be asked some basic information about where you are located then the app will find a dealer near you. Next you will get a form to fill out to request a test ride.

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes in this process. While I am certain every bit of information is gathered, filed away in a database and analyzed by someone; there may be more. BMW may offset expenses, insurance, make specific models available or other things for participating dealers. I do not know

My dealer, a large multi-brand dealer, is iffy about BMW test rides and cautious in general about test rides in general for walk-ins but overall is a very good dealer and will work with people. It came up on the the search when I just ran through the process.

Good luck with your decision.

I have never been able to get a test drive for any BMW motorcycle I have purchased in either of the the two (mulit-line) dealerships in Alberta even after already buying three from one on them. Is this a Canada thing again? Also no survey. So wondering if this is a BMW Motorrad Canada thing or a dealership thing.

I have never been able to get a test drive for any BMW motorcycle I have purchased in either of the the two (mulit-line) dealerships in Alberta even after already buying three from one on them. Is this a Canada thing again? Also no survey. So wondering if this is a BMW Motorrad Canada thing or a dealership thing.

I checked a couple other BMW country sites and found mixed results. It has long baffled me that we are asked to buy bikes from various manufacturers and dealers without test rides.

Dealer decides. If he doesn't have a designated model for testing and none in physical inventory, he may well prefer not to order without a deposit. I got burnt a couple of times on having a certain color in stock, which customer rode...but he wanted a different color. Had to order....he swore he'd buy it on arrival. Bike arrives and he doesn't even return calls. Finally he had his wife call indicating he would not take it. The other time, guy lost his deposit when we had to order a bike specifically for him. It isn't personal. Especially this time of year, no one wants excess inventory.

Do visit dealer with in stock to see if test available...but if you do, be sure to consider any offer from him seriously before returning to original dealer, if that's the plan.

I checked a couple other BMW country sites and found mixed results. It has long baffled me that we are asked to buy bikes from various manufacturers and dealers without test rides.

"If I (the dealer) don't have to carry insurance to cover this liability, why incur the cost on speculation of a few more sales?

I can see this being the bottom line for a dealer.

Last edited:
"If I (the dealer) don't have to carry insurance to cover this liability, why incur the cost on speculation of few more sales?

I can see this being the bottom line for a dealer.

I agree this is a bottom line issue for dealers in many ways. Still it has long baffled me that something as expensive, new or used, has become, in many ways, an impulse buy.

I'd follow through with Mika's link and see if anything comes of it.

As has been said, each dealer has their own policy, but you'd hope BMW would have some influence. This time of year you won't get any Demo-Days, but in the spring many dealerships have a fleet of BMWs show up for a one-day Demo-Day. If the dealer you went to is the logical choice for you and you can wait until the spring, ask the salesman if they put on Demo-Days and if so can they put you on a list of people that want to be notified and can they make a note of the bike you want to try.

I'm in Atlantic Canada and unfortunately we only have one dealer to service a very large geographical area, but they do put on a Demo-Day every spring and also allow demo rides from potential customers at any time if they have that model in stock. Check to see if the have Demo-Days.

I agree this is a bottom line issue for dealers in many ways. Still it has long baffled me that something as expensive, new or used, has become, in many ways, an impulse buy.

No argument on it not being very logical.

But, how many snowmobiles, bass/ski boats or RV's are sold without a test ride? I would guess most are sold without a test drive.

Last edited:
A more likely policy at multi-brand dealers, I'd speculate. In any event, I'd avoid multi-brand dealers in any event ... unless maybe it's Ducati. You want a dealer whose customers are grownups.

No one wants to buy the bike that someone else put miles on and turned the pipes blue/gold. I want mine with as close to zero miles as possible. Try taking a new Corvette for a spin.

Guess I'm lucky that my dealer (BMW and Ducati) has a number of Demo bikes. I sometimes take one for a spin while my bike is getting serviced....

:dance

It's not just BMW. When I was looking to buy a new Honda, No dealer in my area would allow a test ride on a brand new bike, but did allow them on their used inventory. It's an individual dealer's decision, I heard from other Honda owners that their dealer did allow them a test ride.

Test Rides there and Test Rides Up North

My dealer, BMW of Grand Rapids, Michigan seems to have designated test ride models. Additionally, they haul a group of them to Northern Michigan at least once a year to provide test rides by appointment. On those trips you can do a test ride by just dropping by if what you want to try is not booked. I should have tried that new XR out but was sleeping at the switch.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449 Life

Our local dealer has an event in the spring during which all BMW motorcycles are offered for test rides. You can test all of 'em or just one. Show up, sign a waver, and go on a guided test ride. Not sure what they do the rest of the year because I've already test ridden what piqued my interest. I believe the bikes are provided as part of a travelling road show by BMW Canada. With our reduced population and number of dealers as compared to the US, it seems to work for them and their clients.

Back