• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Opinions on three button signals?

Took me all of a day to get used to and appreciate the three control system but it's difficult to go to another bike!

I prefer the style developed by either Bates or Buco. (later copied by HD in the late 50s or early 60s) They had the left switch on left and right switch on right. Switches were spring loaded an worked as long as you pressed but stopped when you removed your thumb. (no need to turn off or hit a cancel switch)

When I started riding my PD I left the sigs on all the time because I was not used to turning them off on the HD. With my slash 6 I did not like the one switch set up (too much like a Limey bike but at least it was on the right instead of left like a Honda)

On my Gold Wing I like the self canceling aspect but to put the damn thing on the left bar is just a PITA(especially with gloves) same side as choke, dimmer, horn, flashers and stereo buttons, looks like a keyboard, and if you look really close there is a clutch lever too)

... and if you look really close there is a clutch lever too)

:clap

Seriously, another voter for the high beam/flash switch. Easy to get to and use. I switched from a GS to my 1300GT. I liked the separate switches as they ergonomically easier, but its nice not to be confused anymore when I swap from the Beemer to my Duc. (I confuse easily...maybe its old age...)

I suspect that BMW had other reasons than just the press idiots to change controls - maybe some new European Union standard, or something to do with Canbus, or maybe a new supplier emerged. In any case - in my book it is a step backwards.

I suspect that one switch saved them a whopping 30 cents per bike, without which the Quandt family would go bankrupt because then the competition would have such a HUGE price advantage.

/sarcasm

I have more trouble remembering that my car has a floor shift while my SUY and truck have column shifts. My arm grabs at empty air.

You think that's bad...in 1983 my mom traded in her manual-transmission VW Rabbit for a column-shift automatic K-Car...and had to sit on her left foot to keep from trying to work the nonexistent clutch!

Turn Signals

easiest to operate turn signals were on my hd electraglides. Simple big button one on each side. Push to turn on. Push to cancel or wait until it self cancelled.

The next best were the ones on my lt and rt. But didn't care for the right thumb up cancel button.

Next is the switch on my 90/6. Pretty simple, up for right, down for left and middle for cancel.

Least favorite is the one on the honda. One switch on a very cluttered control that is almost impossible to operate without looking. God forbid my life ever was to depend on finding the horn.

a big ditto. Why everyone doesn't use that solution is way beyond me. It is easy and foolproof. It is probably the thing i miss most when i get on my bmw, from riding my harley. If i were god, i'd make it the standard for all bikes.

Orv hengen

The 3 switch is more intuitive to me. The questions I have are why did my '85 K100 have self cancelling turn signals and why my '82 Honda Sabre even had lean angle cancelling turn signals but 20 years later my '03 RT does not! And while I'm at it my K100 had a friction lock on the throttle that the '03 doesn't have. I am not sensing progress here.

I've been thinking about this. Despite an earlier post saying that I've never liked the three button setup, it's the third button ÔÇö the cancel button ÔÇö that I don't like.

Since signaling then canceling is part of single, coordinated, linear process it seems a bit nonintuitive to break the left-right paradigm halfway through the process by switching to a right hand-only cancellation using an entirely separate button that's shaped and pushed differently.

I agree with what others have said: it makes more sense to have two buttons. Click the right or left button to turn right or left, then click that same button again to cancel. Simple. It doesn't even require moving one's thumb from one switch to another.

I've been thinking about this. Despite an earlier post saying that I've never liked the three button setup, it's the third button — the cancel button — that I don't like.

Since signaling then canceling is part of single, coordinated, linear process it seems a bit nonintuitive to break the left-right paradigm halfway through the process by switching to a right hand-only cancellation using an entirely separate button that's shaped and pushed differently.

I agree with what others have said: it makes more sense to have two buttons. Click the right or left button to turn right or left, then click that same button again to cancel. Simple. It doesn't even require moving one's thumb from one switch to another.

This is exactly what the Kissan Signal Minder causes to happen. And as a bonus the cancel button works too.

Now as a further aside and much to my amusement since I thought the new signals were a step backwards, BMW has launched a recall of an unspecified number of K1300 motorcycles because - yes, because - the new switchgear is acting wonky and killing the engines while they are otherwise attempting to haul you down the fast lane.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=40830

Progress isn't always is it.

What is the proper way to cancel the right turn signal

Coming off a Honda VFR and riding my (new to me ) 2004 K1200GT, I seem to have a problem canceling the right turn signal. I put the signal on, initiate the turn, and as I roll on the throttle out of the turn it is quite difficult to use my thumb and cancel the signal. Often, I reach over with my left hand to do it. Should I try to be respectful to the other vehicles, and cancel the signal as soon as possible, or should I just let it "time out" and forget about it all together?? What does everyone else do?

You can cancel just prior to making the turn if you feel safe doing that, or as soon as the turn is completed.
I used to do cycle license testing and the turn signal is used to signal intent, you don't NEED to signal all the way through the turn, as long as other drivers know you are turning. When testing I would allow up to 1/2 a block after the turn to get them shut off, although I would tell them, after the test, "get the signal shut off sooner after the turn". But if they shut it off just prior to starting the turn, that was OK too.

Gilly

I have somewhat mixed feelings about this. I do not hate the three switch system but could live with it. The problem is the cancel feature. Right thumb cancels both left and right signal. Not intuitive, at least not for me. I am always wanting to use the horn to cancel the left signal.

I prefer one switch. Why are three switches necessary to do the job of one switch?

Button safety opinion

I have a R12GSA and the K13GT. I have thousands of miles on both of these bikes.

Can I acclimate to one button - yes. Do I like one button #$#@! no.

The one button system is significantly less safe than three. Why?

The one button switch is less than 1 sq. cm in size. You need to position your thumb precisely in the right spot to operate the signals. Your hand must be very stable to actuate it correctly.

The three button system - each button being about 3 cm by 1 cm - provides a large forgiving landing pad for your thumb. No thinking. You just swipe your thumb across the switch. I can be on the gas - the brake - the clutch - hand position is not critical.

Maybe when someone sues BMW for downgrading the safety of their bike they'll wake up. I'm a BMW fan because I thought they made the safest bikes on the road. They took a step backwards with this change.

... And while I'm at it my K100 had a friction lock on the throttle that the '03 doesn't have. I am not sensing progress here.

Turn signal switches are one thing- I have a strong suspicion that the friction lock went away due to other (product liability?) reasons.

Old three button signal controls - :thumb
New Japanese style signal controls - :nono

Turn signals

Coming from the Japanese and Harley world, with 35 such bikes in the mix, Harley has the right idea for turn signals. With one button on each side and you push the same button to cancel or let it self cancel, it makes it so easy and intuitive. The Japanese bikes I always had problems with on the one button they had, especially right after I got off one of the Harleys. I can live with the 3 button on the BMW, it is just going to take some getting used to. But I too think it would have been so easy to copy Harley's lead with the two buttons. But, that is just my opinion and you know what they say about those...

Ron

Hmmmmm, my second post & I hit this hot button topic! I'm brand new to the 3 button signals & so far, so good, I like them quite a bit, except, as many have said, canceling them. It is very easy to turn them on, but when I go to shut them off, I find myself looking for the button, or feeling around for it. I had the Japanese system down pat, this may take a few weeks... If I could just re-click a button to cancel, I'd be super happy with them!

John.

Back