• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

From RT to GS looking for opinions

jsd

I am thinking of changing things up and trading in my 2016 R1200RT on a R1250GS. Any one out there going from an RT to a GS have any regrets, opinions?
I had recently moved from VT to VA and found the large windscreen and bulbous front end of the RT not only unneeded but too hot. I was think R but living in the city I hate to lose rode presence and would still like some wind protection for when I do go some distances. I ride 100 % pavement but wouldn't mind some gravel if there's any to be had in central VA.
Thanks in advance.

I'm in Va, don't ride off-road, and have an R. My wife got rid of her RT for the same reasons as you. I like a GS as much as the next guy (I rent them in Europe) don't feel the R has any less of a road presence as one. As to wind protection, when I feel that I need extra I'll swap my stock screen for a larger one. They're a couple of hundred dollars, many use the same bracket as stock, and they can easily be swapped back.

any regrets, opinions?.

I just traded my 2014 RT (64,000 Miles) for a 2017 GSA. I've put about 2,000 miles on the GSA now (in cold weather riding!). They are very different bikes - as expected - but there are weird differences I didn't expect.

For example, the WonderWheel (to me at least) was wonderful for controlling things on the RT but it is mostly useless (other than for controlling the GPS unit) on the GS.

Initially, I preferred the riding position on the RT, but now that I have miles on the GSA I think I prefer it - it's much more upright.

I have the GSA which provides a bit better protection than a GS and not having a fairing, but there is much higher levels of wind noise (and I have a slightly larger windscreen). The 2017 does not have a heated seat (I think the latest 2020's and onwards do) and the hand grips only have Hi and Lo heat settings, but I can live with that.

However, bottom line is that I just sold the RT because I am happy with the GSA - it's different but fun to ride.

Years ago I rode an Oilhead RT. I enjoyed the motorcycle, but like you, found it rather warm in the summer. I sold it in favor of an RS which provided some wind protection while increasing airflow. While these motorcycles are not exactly what you are asking about, I think the reasoning is similar. Most of my riding is one day or less and I have not regretted the switch. If you take long trips you might miss the fairing, especially in the rain. On the way to the rally in Lebanon I spent two solid days in rain and the thought about how nice it would be to be riding with a fairing :) Central Virginia has quite a few state maintained gravel roads. You may not need a GS to ride them, but you may enjoy them more on that type of bike. The GS could be a real asset on unpaved roads around the Blue Ridge. Let us know what you deicide to do.

Years ago I rode an Oilhead RT. I enjoyed the motorcycle, but like you, found it rather warm in the summer. I sold it in favor of an RS which provided some wind protection while increasing airflow. While these motorcycles are not exactly what you are asking about, I think the reasoning is similar. Most of my riding is one day or less and I have not regretted the switch. If you take long trips you might miss the fairing, especially in the rain. On the way to the rally in Lebanon I spent two solid days in rain and the thought about how nice it would be to be riding with a fairing :) Central Virginia has quite a few state maintained gravel roads. You may not need a GS to ride them, but you may enjoy them more on that type of bike. The GS could be a real asset on unpaved roads around the Blue Ridge. Let us know what you deicide to do.

I thought seriously of the RS, I really like the look of it. However after seeing one in the dealer lot next to a GS I realized what a difference the riding position is. 10 years ago I would have gone the RS route however at 51 I think the upright GS is more appealing. Only getting older from here. Bar backs ETC would help but looking at the differences on Cycle Ergo it would still be an excessive forward lean.
Living on dirt rds in Vt I am not afraid of them on the RT, I was looking for some VA logging roads or trails, if I go the GS route.

I just traded my 2014 RT (64,000 Miles) for a 2017 GSA. I've put about 2,000 miles on the GSA now (in cold weather riding!). They are very different bikes - as expected - but there are weird differences I didn't expect.

For example, the WonderWheel (to me at least) was wonderful for controlling things on the RT but it is mostly useless (other than for controlling the GPS unit) on the GS.

Initially, I preferred the riding position on the RT, but now that I have miles on the GSA I think I prefer it - it's much more upright.

I have the GSA which provides a bit better protection than a GS and not having a fairing, but there is much higher levels of wind noise (and I have a slightly larger windscreen). The 2017 does not have a heated seat (I think the latest 2020's and onwards do) and the hand grips only have Hi and Lo heat settings, but I can live with that.

However, bottom line is that I just sold the RT because I am happy with the GSA - it's different but fun to ride.

I am too height challenged for the GSA :( . I do like the idea of a little more upright, although the RT is fairly straight up until 5 hrs or so when I start to realize its not quite upright.

Being short (5' 7") I think wind noise will not be too much an issue but I will test ride on the interstate before jumping into anything.

That's exactly what I am looking for a fun ride. I originally bought the RT to commute but now work in my living room so the bike is just a toy at this point.

I went from a Hexhead 2007 RT to a 2017 R1200GS. My GS is a lowered suspension model. Even being lowered, the GS has over an inch more suspension travel than an RT does. The lowering also does not change the seat to peg distance. I have cast wheels and street tires (Dunlop RoadSmart III) on it and ride exclusively on the street. In order to address the wind protection issue I added a Vstream medium height wind screen and Givi hand grip extenders. I also have GSA foot pegs. Now, with those modifications, I have a sport touring bike that is more comfortable and more capable than the RT was. The RT was very good, but this new GS is better in terms of comfort and agility. The RT has more features and arguably may look better, but for me it is function over form.

I hope that helps some, but really, only you can decide what works best for you.

I went from a Hexhead 2007 RT to a 2017 R1200GS. My GS is a lowered suspension model. Even being lowered, the GS has over an inch more suspension travel than an RT does. The lowering also does not change the seat to peg distance. I have cast wheels and street tires (Dunlop RoadSmart III) on it and ride exclusively on the street. In order to address the wind protection issue I added a Vstream medium height wind screen and Givi hand grip extenders. I also have GSA foot pegs. Now, with those modifications, I have a sport touring bike that is more comfortable and more capable than the RT was. The RT was very good, but this new GS is better in terms of comfort and agility. The RT has more features and arguably may look better, but for me it is function over form.

I hope that helps some, but really, only you can decide what works best for you.

Thank you, that is the exact thing I wanted to hear. I was looking at the lowered suspension in that exact configuration. As far as the RT looking better I feel as though the RT gets less attractive with each model year and the GS gets better looking. The front end of the RT seems to be growing.

Why GSA foot pegs?

The GSA foot pegs are about twice as wide as the standard GS pegs. I also got them for free!

After test drive staying with RT

So I just returned from trying out a 2021 R1250GS. After spending about 30 miles between interstate, highway and neighborhood streets on an 89 degree day I have come to the conclusion that I will be staying with the RT. The GS is great, the 1250 motor and transmission are amazing. However there is far too much engine heat in the leg and foot area. The excessive plastic on the RT is highly functional in shielding the riders torso from the engine heat. Its really too bad, the GS was a blast too ride but the reason I ended up on a BMW was the Hex Head gave off virtually no engine heat to the rider. My newer wet head does give off some on certain conditions but mostly its just over protective on the upper torso. Guess I will look into venting the windscreen and removing or cutting down those little clear wind deflectors. Sure wish they incorporated a wind scoop into the fairing like the GTL.
Thanks for all the advice.

Interesting. I feel no excessive heat from my GS and I live in AZ. I do wear motorcycle boots and motorcycle pants when I ride.

Well, you gotta do you, so I am glad you had a demo ride to find out that the GS is not for you. Enjoy your ride!

You could take an R1250R out for a test ride if you are looking for a little bit different ride than the RT...

I had a 2008 GSA, traded it in on a 2016 RT. I fell in love with the looks. The RT just didn't work for me, handle bars too low seat too low, not enough leg room, and my left foot would just slip off the footpeg for no reason or warning.
I traded in the RT for a 2017 GSA. I love the GSA but not it's engine. No engine made in the 21st century should make that much racket!
I will run the GSA for a few years, but it will most likely be my last BMW.
I've been riding BMWs since 1983, it's time for something more reliable and different.

I went from 30 years on a RT...got a GSA in January of this year... The difference is I found is I very much Mmss the radio.... I do enjoy the more air that I get on the GSA... And I like the shorter rake... It makes you go back to really feeling like you're riding on a motorcycle... I have the lowered version...Love the addition luggage size

TOM Casey
2017 R1200gsa
1975 R75/6

I thought seriously of the RS, I really like the look of it. However after seeing one in the dealer lot next to a GS I realized what a difference the riding position is. 10 years ago I would have gone the RS route however at 51 I think the upright GS is more appealing. Only getting older from here. Bar backs ETC would help but looking at the differences on Cycle Ergo it would still be an excessive forward lean.
Living on dirt rds in Vt I am not afraid of them on the RT, I was looking for some VA logging roads or trails, if I go the GS route.

Having had RTs and a GS in the past I moved to the RS for several of the reasons you mention. Yes the RS riding position is more folded up than either the GS or RT. I mitigated that somewhat by bar risers and peg lowering kit and getting the 2nd highest seat. I'm 74 and did not want the too tall, top heavy GS and did not need the long travel suspension as I only ride improved dirt roads where the suspension on road mode is just fine. The dirt road limitation is the wide, no traction tires. However, The handling on the twisties is outstanding. Love the low CofG and candidly the less weight is a real plus as I age.
I've found the RS fairing just right (I do have a bit wider, not taller, windscreen to keep the rain off my shoulders.) In fact the RS fairing coverage is more in line with my first 1982 R100RT.

The fun thing about bikes you get to pick one you like and tailor it to your needs.....enjoy

Interesting. I feel no excessive heat from my GS and I live in AZ. I do wear motorcycle boots and motorcycle pants when I ride.

Well, you gotta do you, so I am glad you had a demo ride to find out that the GS is not for you. Enjoy your ride!

Well in defense of the GS it was an 89 degree day and an unbroken in engine that I am sure puts out a little more heat than once broken in a little. I timed the test ride for a reasonable hot day on purpose for a back to back comparison, wearing motorcycle boots and pants, vented BMW boots though which are cooler (on the RT anyways). It seems on the GS, R & RS there is nothing between the engine cylinders, exhaust etc and the rider where the RT has some plastic creating a shield. I assumed looking at the bike that enough air would pass by at least at speeds above 30 to mix the air but it didn't seem that way even on the interstate above 75 I could still feel quite a bit of heat on legs and feet. Enough to make it uncomfortable, where the RT is only uncomfortable at low speeds due to the lack of air exchange on the upper body. I had a Kawasaki Concours and Yamaha FJR that both suffered from having too much plastic where the heat couldn't get out, I may be a little hyper sensitive to the issue. I understand Kawasaki had fixed the issue in later models but by then I had a Hex Head RT which put off next to no heat at all. If I get too big of an itch for less plastic I may end up with a GS and just get some foot protectors to at least create a barrier.

Everything Lee said +1

BTW, if you are sensitive to engine heat, don't ride a Pan America... in Phoenix... at 98 degrees.

I was not really looking but went from a 15 RT to a 17.5 GS and never looked back.

First it was a low and when I sat on it I fell in love. It was over the second my butt hit the seat.

I can not explain why or what called me but I had to have it and took a bit of a financial bath and took it home.

I ride with a top box and no side cases. I love the way the bike looks with no cases and it is a bit less weight to move around especially with no side case full of crap.

And part of it was I wanted the newer transmission upgrades of the 17 and on, but had NO plans of moving on that.

Then my riding buddy totaled his GS in front of me and I went bike replacement shopping with him which in hind sight was my big mistake.

I dont mind any additional exposure with less fairing and in the summer it is better for me.

I have no regrets over getting the GS over the RT. And if I was not so old and busted up I would throw a set of the knobbiest tires I could and go run the snot out of it in the dirt and PA mountains.

If you want a GS go do it. Trust me when I say life is short and gets shorter faster then you can believe.

Great reply :) I am lucky the dealers do not have any Low Model GS's on the floors right now so I have had too much time to waffle on the subject. Once they get some I may try again on a slightly cooler day to see if 89 is just too much. I do not often ride above 85 so that extreme of a test was not quite necessary. I also found some foot protectors that would help. Screenshot_2021-05-03 Foot Protectors for BMW R 1250 GS R 1250 GS Adventure.png

Back