• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wiring a Zumo 660 to my 09 R1200RT

tf78933

MOA #188066
Tried to use the the search function to no avail. My 660 is on its way. I picked up The pigtail from BMW to plug into the factory GPS plug. Problem is, the three wires on the pigtail are not marked. How do I determ what wires go where on the cradle. I was told one of the wires does not get used.

I know others have done this. Please help

Is this what you are looking for? Personally, instead of chopping up the 660 harness that comes with the unit, I would connect it directly to the battery. That is what I did on my '10 GSA.

J2 Pin 1 - GROUND
J2 Pin 2 - sense (Canbus, not needed)
J2 Pin3 - +12V

Attachments

• Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    140.1 KB · Views: 984
Jim, Thank you for the info. I am rethinking using the plug supplied by BMW. Not sure what the advantage is using the the plug other than the power does not cut off immediately when i kill the bike.

Tried to use the the search function to no avail. My 660 is on its way. I picked up The pigtail from BMW to plug into the factory GPS plug. Problem is, the three wires on the pigtail are not marked. How do I determ what wires go where on the cradle. I was told one of the wires does not get used.

I know others have done this. Please help

The wires on the BMW plug are marked. There are microscopic black ink smudges on them that if viewed closely tell you the polarity. The centre wire is the one that doesn't get used.

Hmmm...

If I'd read this yesterday I could have taken photos of the entire process.. :) Works fine. Connector was about $25, and beats bodging back to the fuse block under the seat that I installed.

The wires on the BMW plug are marked. There are microscopic black ink smudges on them that if viewed closely tell you the polarity. The centre wire is the one that doesn't get used.

Dave, I did find the symbols however because I am electronically challenged, I do not know what the symbols mean. One looks like an M or W, the other kind of like a T with a tail. I am going to try to find a skematic somewhere on here to try to figure it out, but I could use some help.

Dave, I did find the symbols however because I am electronically challenged, I do not know what the symbols mean. One looks like an M or W, the other kind of like a T with a tail. I am going to try to find a skematic somewhere on here to try to figure it out, but I could use some help.

I went through some old files and found something I lifted off the 'net.

The markings should be numbers 1, 2 and 3.

#1 is ground, #2 is autospeed/volume (only used with OEM GPS) and #3 is +12 volts. I wired mine up this way and it works fine.

I went through some old files and found something I lifted off the 'net.

The markings should be numbers 1, 2 and 3.

#1 is ground, #2 is autospeed/volume (only used with OEM GPS) and #3 is +12 volts. I wired mine up this way and it works fine.

Thanks for the quick responce. I do see a 1, 2, and 3. I think I got it from here. thanks for the help

Back