• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

It's 96 Right Now in Central Pennsylvania

You need a nice K75............the air flow channeled thru the radiator and under the gas tank provides a nice warming sensation for your lower abdomen.
I had a K75S, and it was WONDERFUL compared to the '85 K100RT that I had before it (the only bike I considered getting off and walking home - from the Blue Ridge Parkway about 400 miles from home) due to the heat.

The R1200R isn't a hot bike at all compared to those..

I had a K75S, and it was WONDERFUL compared to the '85 K100RT that I had before it (the only bike I considered getting off and walking home - from the Blue Ridge Parkway about 400 miles from home) due to the heat.

The R1200R isn't a hot bike at all compared to those..

My R11Rs is the same story as your R1200R.................keep that heat away from my privates.........

91or92 today, but tomorrow I'm on the road for a ride. SO and I love to be out there in the early morning. Mid 80s will seem like a cold wave. Maybe see you guys from Cumberland, York, Adams, Lancaster counties on the road tomorrow. George

Good luck. I just did 30 from Fort Loudon to Breezeweek and was going to go to Everett and take 26 south, but the sky was absolutely black to the west. I jumped on the Turnpike to come back to Carlisle, and still had to put my rain suit on. And this weekend is Carlisle Bike Fest so town is full of middle aged guys dressed like a pirate and 25 year old future organ donors.

We never had a drop between Altoona and Bellefonte on I-99. But, the temperature was ~88-degrees

On the road at 0800. Over to Getteysburg, to Hanover to Littlestown to Thurmont ,Past Camp David to Wayneyboro to the barn. Wonderful not to be melted into a puddle of sweat. Used to work at a place where the IT guy and his old lady would temp. tatoo and leather up every weekend and ride their bagger . Ran into them at a gas station once ,couldn't help but laugh and the guy never spoke to me again. Born to be mild. Around here the action for a certain 2 wheel set,and there is a bunch of them, is to ride from town up to the bar on top of the mountain overlooking McConnelsburg have a few beers and ride back to C-burg. Wow.

When coming up the back side I lean her to the left at the top and about half way through the turn, nail the throttle as hard as I have the nerve to and let em know who's your daddy. Like to scrape underside bits on the sweepers. It was on those sweepers on the Ft Loudon side I learned about trailing brake.

When coming up the back side I lean her to the left at the top and about half way through the turn, nail the throttle as hard as I have the nerve to and let em know who's your daddy. Like to scrape underside bits on the sweepers. It was on those sweepers on the Ft Loudon side I learned about trailing brake.

Why not do the little road thru Cowans Gap? Wouldn't that be more fun?

Around here the action for a certain 2 wheel set,and there is a bunch of them, is to ride from town up to the bar on top of the mountain overlooking McConnelsburg have a few beers and ride back to C-burg. Wow.

I stop at the Mountain House (or whatever it's called) from time to time. Usually the only non Harley in the parking lot, is whatever I am riding. The place is good for the view, and a cold one. Mid day, mid week, there is usually nobody there but me and the bar tender, one or two of whom are quite comely (if not somewhat vapid). Also, the ride to the top from either direction doesn't suck too bad. Nor do any of the roads I may take to get there from here. I ride down that little road past Cowan's Gap SP too, down to PA 75- but the views coming down US 30 are better.

Further West, where US 30 meets PA 31, is the Jean Bonnet Tavern- MUCH more to my liking, and also a popular weekend MC stop. HIGHLY recommended to all. They feature PA microbrews on tap (or used to- haven't been there in a while), and have a nice selection of menu items.

http://www.jeanbonnettavern.com/

Cheers. This time next week, I'll be in Germany, on my way north. The International BSA [vintage motorcycle] Rally in Norway is my final destination. We'll stop at a major European hot rod rally (A-Bombers Old Style Rally) along the way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIucaClciZA

My German friend knows the organisers. Also will visit a mutual buddy in Gothenburg. Hopefully ride some local Gothenburg roads while there?
THEN:

Mo'sicklin' the Fjord Country? Sure.
Camping along a rushing Norwegian River? Youbetcha.
Sunset at midnite, sunrise at 0330? Apparently.
Northern Lights? Hopefully.

Tripod for camera? Probably. :brad

Here's a video of one of the planned rides. Trollstigen AKA The Troll Path- top> down. yee haw.
Turn off the audio for this one- it's all wind noise! :hungover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTlsgKVilYI#at=16

Look for a write up sometime in mid august. Can't call it a ride report cuz we'll be traveling by truck. (drive report?) Pix + story will be posted however- with plenty of MC content.

YO Pinegreen. Ever check out C-burg's Roy Pitz Brewery?
DARN good ales, theirs.

http://www.roypitz.com/wp/our-beers/

Cheers.
Tom

Last edited:
Outstanding fish sandwich or fish and chips which is my benchmark for road food places. (Best is Elk Creek Cafe in Millheim but Flannery's in Mercersburg is pretty good as well). The microbrews don't do me any good since I never get on the bike after even one drink.

Elk Creek Cafe in Milheim has wonderful, locally grown/sourced food. You should go camp out in their back yard because their craft brewed ales are totally off the chain. Among the best I've had, in fact.
It's one of the best places I know of for food, and really nice ales. Never been to Flannery's.
Will check them out, thanks.

I'm amazed both stay in business given that they're sort of upscale in tiny little places. I assume that the customer base for Flannery's is based on the faculty from Mercersburg Academy. Here's my blog entry on some of my favorite road food places.

It's not uncommon to see folks waiting "out the door" for a seat on an Sunday afternoon at the Elk Creek Cafe. But, I'm like Rockbottom, and don't drink when I ride and I'm rarely in Millheim later than noon when driving a car/truck.

Sadly, I'm not far away, but I've never been in the place. However, I've only heard good things about the food.

It's not uncommon to see folks waiting "out the door" for a seat on an Sunday afternoon at the Elk Creek Cafe. But, I'm like Rockbottom, and don't drink when I ride and I'm rarely in Millheim later than noon when driving a car/truck.

Sadly, I'm not far away, but I've never been in the place. However, I've only heard good things about the food.

Penn's Valley has grown up dramtically in the past few years. I have friends in the area- friends who have lived most of their lives there- who lament the changes. There is a bustling community there, along with the "old hands" who have enjoyed a quiet lifestyle there for decades. There is a really progressive farming thing going on there- it is THE epicenter of Pennsylvania organic farming, in fact.

http://www.pasafarming.org/events/partner-events/first-annual-pennsylvania-organic-farm-fest

http://www.paorganic.org/

The locals support each other aggressively, and Elk Creek Cafe is right alongside everyone in their support of local farming. You can go most anywhere in Penn's Valley, and buy directly from farmers- meat, poultry, dairy products, bread, and vegetables. There are many local craftspeople as well- woodworkers, metalsmiths, ferriers, artists etc.- these are the folks who have always lived there, who have made it possible for Elk Creek to exist in the first place... The Valley is a model of local people supporting each other, putting into, pulling from, and giving back to, their community.They've been doing it all along- but now it's "in vogue".

More than ever before, there is a bunch of "money" in Penn's Valley- "money" from outside the area has moved in, and the "money" from State College has moved out. So never wonder "how" a place such as Elk Creek stays in business. They are a direct representation of what Penn's Valley has become. The food is good, their ales are GREAT! They ARE what [the new] "local" people want. Elk Creek Cafe was, in the beginning, and still are today, in the right place, at the right time, doing the right thing.

Penn's Valley has grown up dramtically in the past few years. I have friends in the area- friends who have lived most of their lives there- who lament the changes. There is a bustling community there, along with the "old hands" who have enjoyed a quiet lifestyle there for decades. There is a really progressive farming thing going on there- it is THE epicenter of Pennsylvania organic farming, in fact.

http://www.pasafarming.org/events/partner-events/first-annual-pennsylvania-organic-farm-fest

http://www.paorganic.org/

The locals support each other aggressively, and Elk Creek Cafe is right alongside everyone in their support of local farming. You can go most anywhere in Penn's Valley, and buy directly from farmers- meat, poultry, dairy products, bread, and vegetables. There are many local craftspeople as well- woodworkers, metalsmiths, ferriers, artists etc.- these are the folks who have always lived there, who have made it possible for Elk Creek to exist in the first place... The Valley is a model of local people supporting each other, putting into, pulling from, and giving back to, their community.They've been doing it all along- but now it's "in vogue".

More than ever before, there is a bunch of "money" in Penn's Valley- "money" from outside the area has moved in, and the "money" from State College has moved out. So never wonder "how" a place such as Elk Creek stays in business. They are a direct representation of what Penn's Valley has become. The food is good, their ales are GREAT! They ARE what [the new] "local" people want. Elk Creek Cafe was, in the beginning, and still are today, in the right place, at the right time, doing the right thing.

A bit smitten are we......:)

Elk Creek is successful because the owner has a deep commitment to his community and works awfully hard at his business.

You are correct an both counts, sir!
Yep, I'm smitten! I'll admit it. :)
I have deep ties to the area, and am not only a "foodie" of sorts, but also a microbrew aficionado.
What's not to like?

Back