• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New BMW R1100SA Light owner

honeybunny

I bought a 2001 BMW R1100SA Light a couple of months ago. Since I live in West Texas (Seminole), I have been able to do some riding this Winter. I have been riding a 1991 Harley FXRS for years. I still can't believed I traded it in for a BMW, but I immediately fell in love with this bike after only a 15 minute test ride. I am very ignorant to the BMW line of bikes. I have always been a Harley guy. This BMW bike is the piece of machinery I have ever ridden. The previous owner kept immaculate records of all maintenance. He placed Stainetune exhaust and carbon fiber intake with chip to match. I can very little info on this bike on the web or other forums. So I joined this forum to get some information.
I figure I should say something about myself here. I'm from Virginia originally, but been almost everywhere since I was in the Army. Retired in 2007 and stayed in West Texas due to work. Everything is nice, but the environment, I miss lakes, trees, grass and curvy roads. I did not like the way my BMW looks, but the ride and performance blew me away. I just had to have this bike.
Here are some questions:
What does the SA Light mean?
Does the Stainetune exhaust and carbon fiber intake with chip improve performance?

I hope to get to know some of you out there, especially others with the same bike as me.

Attachments

• BMW R1100SA Light 1.jpg
    BMW R1100SA Light 1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 161
S is model. A is ABS. L (which yours is) is Light. Light was a 2001 model only. Blacked engine, blacked trans, blue thread carbon fiber on buncha things- gas tank center, rear shock shield, heel guards, headlight surround, seat cowl, belly pan, spark plug covers. 5.5" rear wheel, yellow spring long sport shocks (mostly just stiffer than stock). think that's the whole list.

pipe & chip give mild to moderate hp/torque boost, mostly smooths out the ~4700 rpm flat spot, and sheds about 13 lbs of catalytic converter and stock muffler. Staintune is one of the better systems.
rtside.jpg

Guess you missed finding THE R11S website.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/
see ya there.

Welcome to the Beemer bunch...hope to see you on the Pelican Parts website one of these days...

Nice bike ya got there!

Cheers! :drink

Questions

Mine does NOT have any of the "Blackened Parts" that are listed. As you may see from my pictures from the original posts.

This bike was not initially attractive to me, but the ride has made me change my perspective. Is or was this the same with any others out there?

I would love some feedback on good choices for a tail-bag. Any suggestions?

Where would I mount a GPS?

What is the trick to get the throttle lock to work?

There is clunk when I usually start off in first gear. The bike rides great. Is this normal?

Any answers would be appreciative

Mine does NOT have any of the "Blackened Parts" that are listed. As you may see from my pictures from the original posts.

This bike was not initially attractive to me, but the ride has made me change my perspective. Is or was this the same with any others out there?

I would love some feedback on good choices for a tail-bag. Any suggestions?

Where would I mount a GPS?

What is the trick to get the throttle lock to work?

There is clunk when I usually start off in first gear. The bike rides great. Is this normal?

Any answers would be appreciative

OMG. Yes, you are a new BMW owner, we all were once and we all have/had the same questions :laugh

Welcome

Get over to Pelican Parts ASAP, that is the #1 info source on everything ÔÇ£SÔÇØ
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/

As for the clunk, that is just the sound your ABS makes as part of the initial start up and self check. It should not do it again until you shut it down and start back up again.

GPS, not an easy bike to mount one one. I did this on mine. The mount is from Tourtech
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-040-0654/Touratech-GPS-Mount-Adapter-R1100S-High-Bar

i-3DpHrDz-L.jpg

i-R3wKwQ7-L.jpg

i-CTgRrt5-L.jpg

GPS, not an easy bike to mount one one. I did this on mine. The mount is from Tourtech
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-040-0654/Touratech-GPS-Mount-Adapter-R1100S-High-Bar

So that's how the Touratech Mount works. I couldn't figure out from the Touratech website how it was suppose to connect.

Do you know if it'll work well with a set of Rapidog barbacks on? Plus my clip-ons were originally under the triple clamp so they have the 'extra hole'. I'd be attaching a garmin 650t.

Uh...

ye be runnin back 9 months with a question... guy long ago forgot about talkin
about this & most likely wont see it. Ask him directly via a Private Message for a
chance at a response. good luck

ye be runnin back 9 months with a question... guy long ago forgot about talkin
about this & most likely wont see it. Ask him directly via a Private Message for a
chance at a response. good luck

(if you are setup for auto notification about replies to a thread you're started/posted in, time is meaningless.)

So that's how the Touratech Mount works. I couldn't figure out from the Touratech website how it was suppose to connect.

Do you know if it'll work well with a set of Rapidog barbacks on? Plus my clip-ons were originally under the triple clamp so they have the 'extra hole'. I'd be attaching a garmin 650t.

It works with the Rapiddog barbacks. I had those barbacks for a bit of time, but took them off and sold them.

Holysmokes....learn somthing every day! now somthing else to manage....

welcome

Love your excitment. Looks like a great bike. I d like to point out that a Virginian is always a Virginian. It s a benadiction from the almighty. I ve got some relatives (also Virginians) not far from you. Little town south of Odessa called Crane. If you re passing that way stop by The Grill and tell Audwin hello. He ll talk you to death. As for curves, head west. NM is just over the horizon.

Love your excitment. Looks like a great bike. I d like to point out that a Virginian is always a Virginian.

as a richmonder living in PA for the past several years (and looks like at least one more year 'til i come home for good), i'd like to say "amen" :)

Back