• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The New BMW G 310 GS Thread~

... All in all we are very pleased with the little bikes doing 400 mile days under less than ideal weather conditions.

Paul, thx for the info. Precisely the info I am seeking in order to make the decision. Plus, the photos in the next post from Voni answered one of my questions: Have you put after-market windshields on the little bikes, or are you still using the stock wind shapers? (I see you still are using the originals equip.)

If I can comfortable ride multiple 400-mile days (your experience proves it) then the G310 will replace my F800 and my style of riding. Yahoo!

Thanks, Paul and Voni.

A few personal observations on the G310GS

My local dealer in Ft Lauderdale gave me the keys to their demo G310GS over Easter weekend as it needed to have some miles put on before giving it to the public for test runs..
They know I'm OCD and won't go beyond the specs for breaking in a new bike, so I put 250 miles on the bike yesterday. This bike put a big smile on my face for sure.
The stock bike is a bit small for me personally as I am 6'2" 200# however with a few mods it would work.
The mods would be a taller seat (I think the standard seat is on the one I rode), bar risers, bigger foot-pegs, a windscreen of sorts and stiffer suspension.
These are my preferences. IMHO, the stock set-up is for people weighing 150-175# and less than 6'..

The switch gear is on par with BMW standards and the transmission is the smoothest BMW tranny have I ever shifted, even better than my '17 RT.
For a thumper the engine is very smooth with minimal vibration, more in the footrests than elsewhere. Noise level is also low with the exhaust having a pleasant sound.
I really wanted to take the bike on some dirt and gravel roads but since it isn't mine to begin with, I refrained from doing so but the few rough patches I hit on the rural country roads were no problem and the suspension soaked up the bumps very well with what was left of travel with my 200#. Handling is very good as it is light weight and very nimble and this would make it a great TAT or CDT bike.
Brakes are good, but the foot pedal could be up a notch higher as I had to reach for it a bit too much.
Lights are a bit dim and could be brighter as the new LED tech should afford brighter tail and head lights. This BTW, is the same on my '17 RT where I installed Clearwater lights front and back.
I don't know how those OEM lights got passed by the DOT as, missing reflectors were cause for a stop sale on the GS/GSA...:scratch

Instruments are complete and very readable even in bright sunlight so that is well done too. I can't really comment on long term MPG's as I was going different speeds and riding a brand new bike etc, but I did see 55-65 MPG on average and was laughing when I was putting $5 of fuel in the bike...
All in all a great machine!!!
Just my 0.02 Cts and YMMV

I know this is the GS thread but I'dlike to know your thoughts.

I'm considering a G310 R for local back road riding, including dirt roads (no off road). most ride will be less than 250 miles. I'm thinking of putting TKC 80s on the bike for a bit better dirt road bite. At some point I may change the sprockets...we'll see after I have it for a while.

At this point I don't think I need the extra cost and height of the GS.

Comments?

I know this is the GS thread but I'dlike to know your thoughts.

I'm considering a G310 R for local back road riding, including dirt roads (no off road). most ride will be less than 250 miles. I'm thinking of putting TKC 80s on the bike for a bit better dirt road bite. At some point I may change the sprockets...we'll see after I have it for a while.

At this point I don't think I need the extra cost and height of the GS.

Comments?

Check the availability of tire sizes. I'm unsure who makes what in what size. Otherwise, if you don't need much suspension travel it ought to work. We did it years ago to make an R80ST a mini R80/GS with a raised fender and MT50 tires for an early '90s trip to Alaska.

Check the availability of tire sizes. I'm unsure who makes what in what size. Otherwise, if you don't need much suspension travel it ought to work. We did it years ago to make an R80ST a mini R80/GS with a raised fender and MT50 tires for an early '90s trip to Alaska.

Thanks, The front TKC 80 will be a bit wider, but that will OK with me.

The switch gear is on par with BMW standards and the transmission is the smoothest BMW tranny have I ever shifted, even better than my '17 RT.

I am at just over 300 miles on my 310 and the transmission shifting is a very long way from smooth. Compared to my old V'Strom 650, it feels like a farm tractor gearbox more than a refined motorcycle transmission. Many, many times now I pull the clutch lever all the way in slowly smoothly deliberately and shift up, the shift lever moves up as far as it would go, the indicator on the dash goes up a number, I let the clutch out smoothly and onto the gas and it revs up fast and is evidently in between the 2 gears. This mainly happens on the 3 to 4 and the 4 to 5 gear shifts. But have had a few neutrals instead of 2nd gears. Was thinking it was part of the break in period, but now not so sure. And the dealer is almost 4 hours away. lol
The Kawasaki dealer is 15 min. away. The Honda dealer 40 min. away.
I sure hope this purchase does not come back to bite me in the backside!!! 0_0
I sure do love this bike and to be honest overall I enjoy this light little bike better than the past 11 bikes I have owned!

You should have that looked at, as I wasn’t joking about the smoothness of the transmission on my test bike. My RT is my daily driver, as I have no car, and even after several 100k miles on R bikes I still think they still shift like a tractor compared to Japanese bikes.:ha

Something is amiss. Both of our 310GSs shift smoothly. False neutrals between gears usually means the shift arm is not being pulled totally through its stroke. If this is a mechanical problem it is a warranty issue.

If you came from another bike-
Have a rider you know, and haven't told about your concern, ride the bike and see how they respond. Sometimes muscle memory (yours) can have an effect.
OM

Baby GS is Home

Took delivery of a red G310GS Friday last in FtL FL. Spent the night with friends outside Clewiston, max 60mph, thru LaBelle and up to the family and trailer in Lakeland. Passed the 200m restriction first day and began to push slowly past 6k, long and slow and then ride softly for a few minutes to let heat stabilize. After initial break in, the turbine-smooth motor shows it has grunt in small-caste letter from 4K, and fun to be had from 6k/60mph to 9k, near 90mph. Seat is miserable. Suspension is quite good. Did some fire roads when we got home to north GA. GOes good. Did some sugar sand it FL. Bike has Mitas E07 50/50 tires, lotta off pavement and sand grip. Some mud here at home, good drive thru mud. Great tires. Good pavement tires. Floats over sugar sand, a new and happy experience. Wide tires on a light Moto. All in all, very happy 😊

G310 Valve Adjustment

Anyone else alarmed by the cost of a valve adjustment listed in the new Motorcycle Consumer News? They are quoting almost 5 hours of labor ($645) and parts total of $430, total service $1075! This was for a GS, but I assume an R would be very similar.

Side note - Givi is expecting to bring out a Monokey rack setup for the GS soon based on an email I received from them.

Joe B

Anyone else alarmed by the cost of a valve adjustment listed in the new Motorcycle Consumer News? They are quoting almost 5 hours of labor ($645) and parts total of $430, total service $1075! This was for a GS, but I assume an R would be very similar.

Side note - Givi is expecting to bring out a Monokey rack setup for the GS soon based on an email I received from them.

Joe B

I suspect that once again Consumer News is suspect. The 310 is simpler than the F twins and they take nowhere near 5 hours. I would have to read the article. What reason did they give for the difficulty. It isn't a K1600.

Last edited:
F310 Valve Adjustment

The mag article contained a small block of "maintenance cost" info, and credited the Service Manager from Brown Motor Works in Pomona, CA for the info. No detailed explanation was provided.

Back