• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Colorado in August 2009

S

Stephane

Planning a trip to Colorado in August 2009.
Looking for advice on:

1) Great sites not to be missed;
2) Great roads not be missed;
3) Any advice on Colorado weather in August.

Thanks in advance!
Steve

Colorado is full of great roads to travel, and if you search "colorado" on this and ADVenture riders, many are laid out to the tee.

Alot depends if you want a tourist loop, or you want to destination over several days or week.

One of my favoites goes like this!

Ft Collins (Fort Fun) up the Cache La Poudre Canyon to Northpark towads Grand Lake. Go South to Leadville, Then through Leadville to Twin Lakes, and over Independence pass to Aspen. Go west from Aspen to Carbondale, then South to the turn off for Kebler Pass (GS Dirt Fun!) Go East over Kebler, and end up in Crested Butte. Crested butte South East to Gunnison, Buena Vista to Leadville, to Grand lake to Trail Ridge Road to Estes park. Estes park southeast to Lyons, Lyons south to Bouder. Take it easy back to Fort Collins, or THEN plan a another loop! If you stop and enjoy this loop, take four days. If you just want to ride it to say you have been there, count on two days. Stay away from I-70 (BORING) and I-25 leads you down the road to front range smoggy hell. There is better ways to go.

Don't miss the explorer Bookstore in Aspen if you like the best of the best in books and pie.

Don't miss the Rio Grande Mex Resteraunt in Fort Fun

Don't miss spending some time in Crested Butte

Too many places to do this route justice...follow the links, you will find just about everything!

August is mighty fine weather...expect a shower in the afternoons, but other than that tourists season blocks the roads with idiots in cages...

Whew...I wore myself out...must be winterland in Minnesota!

Planning a trip to Colorado in August 2009.
Looking for advice on:

1) Great sites not to be missed;
2) Great roads not be missed;
3) Any advice on Colorado weather in August.

Thanks in advance!
Steve

My riding buddy and I will be in SW Colorado the last full week in August. Based in Ouray. Red has pointed out some great rides.

Advice on weather? Be prepared for anything. But the last 3 times we have been there the end of August, it is mostly sunny and dry with a chance of afternoon thunderstorms EVERY day.

Colorado

Can suggest the following as Statdawg and I rode through here last July.

Durango to Silverton, Ouray and Montrose. Very good roads and the views between Siverton and Ouray will take your breath away as will the vertical off the 550.
Info can be had on the local websites and I most enjoyed the hot pools in Ouray.
Ride rt 50 out of Montrose till you can cross over to rt 92 which will take you through "Black Canyon of the Gunnison" not to be missed. You can then go through Paonia and pick up the 133 into Carbondale. Just a small part of one of the most beautiful states in the US.

If you choose camping be aware that it can go below freezing above 10K ft. Be prepared....I wasn't.

Other spots not to miss

The Great Sand Dunes National Park is right up there as a great destination, with free rustic GS camping along the base of the dunes. There is lots of pay camp spots next to the winnibagos, but free camping can be had with a GS, and challanging on an RT...Cottonwoods and privacy with the Dunes out your back door...

Places to see...

Rocky Mtn National Park... ride it on a week day early in the morning... watch out for Ice even in August up high... up to 12,000ft.

Glenwood Springs...
Worlds larges outdoors Hot springs pool. Yamah Vapor Caves.. Hanging Lake hike... the Fairey Caves... go on the wild tour. cheeper hotels than Aspen...

Stop and see the castle and historic inn in Redstone

Colorado National Park... good ride through...

Ride the Umcompange Range ride on CO 141 or 142...
CO HW 133
HWY 550
CO 13 from Rifle to Meeker is nice

to eat at

White House Pizza , in Carbondale
Bella Mia in El Jebel

Good brew pub in Durango and Glenwood

I do warn people about Kebler Pass.... in the summer the cars drive it normally a bit too fast on the dirt and cut the inside corners on the upper section in the Aspen groves...

Crusty Butt (Crested Butte) is a fun town so is the bar in Silverton.

Lots of fun up here.

Cottonwood Pass from Buena Vista to Taylor Park is a great ride, dirt road and not a huge amount of traffic. From Taylor Park you can go north to the Aspen area via jeep roads.

Eat Breakfast at the Sunshine Cafe in Dillon.

Stop at Coors Tavern in Pueblo and ask for a 'slopper'. Open face cheeseburger served in a bowl filled with green chili. For that matter nearly any bar in Pueblo serves sloppers.

Red Mountain Pass is very good. Shrine Pass over the back side of Vail is a nice dirt road.

Peak to Peak highway from Central City to Estes Park is a really nice two lane with great views of the divide.

Estes Park

We have gone to Estes Park and the Rocky Mountain National park every year for the last 6 years two of those years we went twice. We just love Estes and the Rocky Mountain Park and canÔÇÖt get enough of it! I would only add if you go there you need to ride US 34 Loveland to Estes through Big Thompson Canyon. Hwy 7 also beautiful drive. If you ride GS type bikes Fall River Road is a gravel road one way to the top of R.M.N.P.

Truth of the matter all of Colorado is beautiful full of great roads nice folks and much more than anyone can see in a couple of weeks. Hope you guys and gals livin out there know how jealous I am. Only good thing is I am only 8 hrs away!

If you go south and you do one thing off the bike ride the Durango Silverton Steam train. Oh my God the scenery on that trip is over the top and you get to sit and take it all in! :brad I wont tell you to have fun you cant help but have fun!

One of the many stops in Rocky Mountain National Park

Attachments

• Colorado 2008 006.jpg
    Colorado 2008 006.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 249
this is the Fall River Rd..
lookingdownfromFallRiverRd.jpg

(didn't have my GS yet, but the KLR was an easy fun ride up it)
FallRiverRdRMNP5.jpg

next time you head up 34 to Estes, take the turn-off at Drake to Glen Haven. MUCH better than the top half of the canyon, with none to little of the traffic. And, you get this view at the top...
SliceofDevon.jpg

(tho the Duc and my son are not likely to be there)

2 weeks will give you lots of time to play around- and that's a real good thing!

Have been on the Drake to Haven many times tight turnes and love the switchbacks near Haven but the Canyon cant be missed. Do em both!!!!:brad

Photo of creek that runs along the Drake to Haven road.

Attachments

• colorado july 06 133.jpg
    colorado july 06 133.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 208
Most of my suggestions have already been mentioned. Colorado is a great place to ride. Go to my photo site, the flickr link below, and look at the set called "Summer 2008 Riding" and you'll see many of these places.

And I'll second the 100,000 foot mountain pass ride. I did it last August for the first time and it was a very fun day of riding.

Pretty much any two lane highway west of I-25 will yield good riding, but a loop not to be missed if you have the time is Colo. 141, you catch it about 10 miles south of Grand Junction on Highway 50, then take Colo 145 out of Naturita to Cortez. From there, east on US Hwy 160 to Durango, then north out of Durango on US Hwy 550 to Montrose. This is probably one of the best loops in Colorado, and 141/145 are not heavily travelled or patrolled and are just made for motorcycles. I'm salivating just sitting here writing about it in January (sob). You can do this loop in a day, it's about 390 miles starting and ending in Grand Junction. 2 days would allow you to savor it more. And, if you do go to Grand Junction, don't miss Colorado National Monument.

I am in the planing stage of my trip through Colorado in late July of '09. I have seen many great suggestions here and will be incorporating as many of them as possible into my ride. Thank you all for providing your suggestions. Sounds like my Colorado trip just got longer and better!:wave

Pretty much any two lane highway west of I-25 will yield good riding, but a loop not to be missed if you have the time is Colo. 141, you catch it about 10 miles south of Grand Junction on Highway 50, then take Colo 145 out of Naturita to Cortez. From there, east on US Hwy 160 to Durango, then north out of Durango on US Hwy 550 to Montrose. This is probably one of the best loops in Colorado, and 141/145 are not heavily travelled or patrolled and are just made for motorcycles. I'm salivating just sitting here writing about it in January (sob). You can do this loop in a day, it's about 390 miles starting and ending in Grand Junction. 2 days would allow you to savor it more. And, if you do go to Grand Junction, don't miss Colorado National Monument.

ok, ok, it's hard to stop..while your at the monument, be sure to ride Unaweep Canyon http://www.durangobill.com/UnaweepCanyon.html. Stop on 7th Street in old town Grand Junction, and eat GREAT Mexican at Los Trees Reyez http://www.pubcrawler.com/Template/dsp_restaurant_zoom.cfm/flat/ID=217927, then ride east a bit on I-70 to the Grand Mesa http://www.grandmesabyway.org/. Come out into Delta, and in August, you may have Colorado peaches, the BEST in the world! Be sure and stop at the fruit stands. Go towards Montrose and wind up to Telluride. Don't miss the Bridal Falls outside of Telluride http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qolwPcDSo74 for some great surroundings...whew!

I live vicariously throught your trip planning! Where ever you go in Colorado, you will have a ball!

Back